home made vent springs
The original vents in our 72 Safari kinda just flopped when opened. The problem was the torsion springs were broken. We removed the forward vent and were able to salvage one of the original springs. I did a little research and discovered music wire could be used to make torsion springs. I went to the local hardware store found three 2 foot pieces that looked like the same gauge for $2.49. By trial and error I made me a jig out of a piece of scrap wood and a couple screws and a lag screw. I was able to make a couple springs that worked here a a few pictures. The one on the left is the original.
Safety first! wear gloves and safety glasses if you make springs.