Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
slk
2 Rivet Member

Elk River , Minnesota
Help identify vent on roof

I have a 1996 Excella. There is a vent on the top side of the trailer forward of the bathroom vent. It has some screen coming out of it. It appears to be about 2" diameter where the screen is. It is missing the cover. It looks like it just snaps on, but it is missing. What is this vent for so I can go to the RV place to find a cover. I asume the rain will get in without the cover. It is also right next to the long aluminum vent.

I do have pictures that I could send someone to idintify. I can't post them here though.

Thanks
Steve
slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by slk View Post
I do have pictures that I could send someone to idintify. I can't post them here though.
I do believe you'd be able to post pictures. 5- to 8- or above megapixel images won't be accepted by our software. Crop and resize them first.

Right click on the photo file icon in your computer; on a PC a submenu will open -- choose the 'Open with' command. Don't select IE, Firefox or Paint options. One of the other programs offered at 'Open with' surely will let you resize it -- try Picture Manager. Take it down to a 900 x 1200 pixel jpeg and that will be more than adequate. Especially if you've got a fairly cropped image.

After resizing, from the File menu only select 'Save As..' or else you'll replace your original photo with a downsized version. Then try posting your resized image. Click my username on this post and PM me if something's not working.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
I have a 1996 Excella. There is a vent on the top side of the trailer forward of the bathroom vent. It has some screen coming out of it. It appears to be about 2" diameter where the screen is. It is missing the cover. It looks like it just snaps on, but it is missing. What is this vent for so I can go to the RV place to find a cover. I asume the rain will get in without the cover. It is also right next to the long aluminum vent.

Thanks
Steve
Sounds like a plumbing stack cover, they actually are open on top, however you most likely need to replace the screen and rubber gasket at the bottom of it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
slk
2 Rivet Member

Elk River , Minnesota
I bet you are right! I did not even think about the vent stack for the plumbing. Do you think the cover is available most places or is it one of those Airstream things.

Steve
Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
I bet you are right! I did not even think about the vent stack for the plumbing. Do you think the cover is available most places or is it one of those Airstream things.

Steve
Hi Steve,
If you can get pictures up it would help. I am over 1000 miles away from my AS at the moment or I would put a picture up for you. But the normal stack cover (at least on mine) is a silver metal box with an open top, normally the vent is just below the top of the box. When you re-do one, you take the screws out of the metal cover, replace the screening, caulking and the rubber gasket, then screw the cover back in place. Here is a picture of one and how it goes together.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 07-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
slk
2 Rivet Member

Elk River , Minnesota
The vent on mine is plastic with 4 upright tangs for a top to snap on, but no top.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Here is a picture of one and how it goes together.
On Aaron's online catalog page -- the prime parts are getting a new screen and gasket shown at the bottom of that page. The gaskets get old and allow water to run down and rot your floor underneath.

A project documented - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...nts-24437.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:11 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
The vent on mine is plastic with 4 upright tangs for a top to snap on, but no top.
Okay that is one of the newer style then. I wasn't sure when they switched over. That should be one of the universal ones that is available from just about anywhere.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 07-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Steve,
Got your pictures, you will need to replace the entire vent.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 07-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
slk
2 Rivet Member

Elk River , Minnesota
Thanks Aaron

I will get one today and install. I do see that the sealer around it is starting to deterioate also.

It is great to have you guys here for advice

Thanks much
Steve