Old 07-27-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Fantastic Vents ?

My so called Fantastic vents seem to have more of a mind of their own than than should have. I know there is a rain sensor, but they act crazy even when they are dry. Sometimes they just open and close at their leasure. The biggest problem is this: I thought well I will just pull the handle into manual mode and say to heck with the auto feature, but then the little motor decides to keep trying to open and close the fans. Of course it can't because I have it in manual mode. What I end up with is an almost constant motor noise. Very frustrating on such a nice trailer.

Any one with experience on such a problem, please enlighten me. It is such trouble to haul the trailer back to a dealer.

Andy

Old 07-27-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Difficult to diagnose on-line but...our's has 'cycled' in dry weather when pulling humidity out of the trailer....I'm interested in what others have experienced.

Old 07-27-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I suspect that cleaning the rain sensor will fix it. If not, give the company a call. They have very knowledgeble techs who send you the right way to fix it. If parts are needed, they will send them to you in a couple of days.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Andy.

It ain't broken!!!

This drove me crazy to, but here is the fix:

Start by first having the fan off, vent down.

Your FF has two rocker type switches_ a main on/off, and another one that has a little line drawing of what looks to be a hatch.

If you pull that nob-thingie to go into manual mode, switch the hatch-switch to the closed position. Esentially you are overriding the auto feature, and can open/adjust the vent to your liking. The main switch should be on. The fan will turn on at a certain point of openess, and cut off, as you close-up the vent.

Of coarse, if it starts raining like crazy, get out the mop. This happened to us.

I didn't like the auto open/close feature at first for other reasons- two slow, and to loud.

Lately, it has grown on me, and I use it more.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
Old 07-27-2004, 05:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
I will be going out again on Aug. 5th, and I will try it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Andy.

It ain't broken!!!

This drove me crazy to, but here is the fix:

Start by first having the fan off, vent down.

Your FF has two rocker type switches_ a main on/off, and another one that has a little line drawing of what looks to be a hatch.

If you pull that nob-thingie to go into manual mode, switch the hatch-switch to the closed position. Esentially you are overriding the auto feature, and can open/adjust the vent to your liking. The main switch should be on. The fan will turn on at a certain point of openess, and cut off, as you close-up the vent.

Of coarse, if it starts raining like crazy, get out the mop. This happened to us.

I didn't like the auto open/close feature at first for other reasons- two slow, and to loud.

Lately, it has grown on me, and I use it more.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
One further thought. Basically your point then is that the switch needs to be in the closed position to use the manual mode? Is that a correct reading?

Thanks again, Andy
Old 07-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
They are in Imlay City and we...

have always put fantastic vents in our SOB units.

I haven't tried it yet but if I heard and remebered correctly, as it is opening in auto if you just hold the wheel on the way up it will stop there and since it is the way up it will still continue to operate the rain sensor. But not on the way down if you stop it. Anyone check that out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfuson
One further thought. Basically your point then is that the switch needs to be in the closed position to use the manual mode? Is that a correct reading?

Thanks again, Andy

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:08 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Andy,

I haven't owned our new (to us) 1997, 34' Classic long enough to be sure that I have cured the problem, but we had exactly the same thing going on with our Fantastic fan in the bedroom. I originally thought it was the rain sensor.

With some more troubleshooting, I decided it was the contacts at the thermostat, specifically the main ON-OFF connection.

If you have a thermostat on the wall (like ours) you can remove the cover by pulling it off. It's held on by friction. Notice that as you move the selector lever up, the first thing that happens is that a connector at the bottom is allowed to make contact when the lever is out of the way. This is the main ON-OFF switch. If this switch makes intermittant contact, the fan thinks you are turning it from on to off to on, etc. This causes the motor to open, then close, then open (etc.) the fan cover.

I tried cleaning mine with spray contact cleaner but didn't have much luck. I then filed the contacts with a tiny file made for automotive ignition points. An emery board would probably work also. I also bent the spring part in an attempt to provide firmer contact pressure.

I wouldn't recommend bending the spring part. I may have damaged mine.

If a bad connection is your problem, then cleaning those contacts will cure it.

Good luck.

Loren
Old 08-01-2004, 07:18 AM   #9
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
FWIW, I have two FF's and both work perfectly... One has a wall switch/thermostat and the other has all the controls mounted on the fan.

Keep the faith, they are terrific.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Imlay City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I haven't tried it yet but if I heard and remebered correctly, as it is opening in auto if you just hold the wheel on the way up it will stop there and since it is the way up it will still continue to operate the rain sensor. But not on the way down if you stop it. Anyone check that out?
Is this in Michigan? If so, where in Imlay city did you have this done? I live right around the corner from there.

John
Old 08-31-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Are we neighbors John? I am right by the airport off of Roods Lake Road in Lapeer. Do you belong to the WBCCI? the Mid-Eastern unit? We just have to look each other up! PM me, if you like.

Fantastic Vent is located at 2083 S. Almont Ave., in Imlay City, MI. A Yahoo map online will probably show you the directions. It's a hop, skip and a jump off the main drag. The grounds are very well kept, people friendly, and you can tour the plant. They really stand behind their product and will service any unit regardless of waranty time limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Is this in Michigan? If so, where in Imlay city did you have this done? I live right around the corner from there.

John

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Andy,

Update:
Again, I don't know if your problem is from the same source as mine, but I changed the wall thermostat for our Fantastic fan and it cured the problem.

Our symptoms were identical to yours, with the fan opening, then closing, then opening, etc., seemingly at random. It drove me nuts too.

Loren