Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Here is an update:
Today, I contacted Fan-Tastic Vent directly and they referred me to the Florida Distribution center. The number I was given is 810 444-0607.
I reached a very helpful lady who not only took my order, but also taught me a few tricks about operating the fans. It seems she teaches seminars to RV groups about operating the fans.

Ken
To clarify, I am paying for the switch.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
To clarify, I am paying for the switch.

Ken
Ken,

I wasn't pointing at anybody...please don't think that. I was using "you" in the plural, non-specific sense.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #43
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I too have only nice comments about the FF company. I bought and installed 2 of their fans last fall. Both are reversable w/rain sensors. No remote control. they work great. One of them failed to close / open without a manual boost during operation. I called and they sent me the close / open mechanism to repair it. Great customer service and good people to deal with. They've got my attention and business.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #44
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It seems people have different experiences with FF.

It seems they used to send the reversing switch for free and no longer do so. I called them years ago about it and they told me it was free then, I just didn't follow up. It seems they replace things that break without hassles.

They make a lot of different models and maybe some are easier to figure out than ours. I wish ours had come with the remote because it might be easier to use.

Now I'll rewire it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
things may have changed since the company was sold.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Ken,

I wasn't pointing at anybody...please don't think that. I was using "you" in the plural, non-specific sense.
No problemo, senor. I was just trying to reaffirm that they don't appear to be giving them away any longer.

If anyone should be giving them away, it should be Airstream for not putting them in when they could. It is a long way from the front fantastic-vent to any plumbing vent on our trailer.

If it did suck in a fume or two, I would just think one of the cats had gas.

+ =

Let the record show, that I did not mention any other human who might share the trailer with me.

Ken

P.S. Note the very close resemblance between the icon cat and Daisy, the cat in my avatar
Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I have nothing but good to say about FF. They have been very helpful and have been stellar in customer service. I bought a reserving switch and installed it myself using their wiring diagrams. Had I already had a reversing switch and it went bad, they would have replaced it for nothing ... but I was upgrading, so naturally, there is a charge. That makes total sense to me.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #48
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I have reversed the fan by switching the two wires—one red (presumably hot) and one yellow or white (presumably ground; with the bright sky in the background, it looked yellow, but it was hard to see color) from the fan motor.

Black and white wires come through the ceiling and the white one is attached to the on/off switch. The white or yellow wire from the fan motor is also plugged into the on/off switch.

The red wire from the motor goes to the 3 speed fan switch. Simply switch the red wire to the on/off switch and the white (or yellow) wire to the 3 speed switch. Test it and the fan should blow in. I had to lengthen both wires because they were not long enough to get to the other side of the assembly.

There are a lot of screws to take apart. I took out the screen, the shroud around the whole thing and the plate that holds all the switches and wires. Each has different shapes and lengths, so keep them separate. Do not torque them too much or you will eat into the thin plastic—I had replaced the screen screws before when I cleaned the screen and the fan blades and that is an excellent way to over torque them.

It only took me 3 years and 9 months.

Gene

Photos:

1. All stuff hanging down.

2. Close up: In this photo the red wire goes to the fan motor and has been lengthened and plugs into the on/off switch on the right where the white wire from the fan used to be. The white wire from the fan is dangling to the left because I hadn't lengthened it yet. It goes where the black wire used to be on the 3 speed switch on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	137293   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	137294  

Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #49
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I also called Fantastic a while back and was told they don't sell the switches. They suggested I call R.T. Enterprises in Yuma, AZ (818-292-1268). Ron promptly sent me out 2 switches (with the pre-terminated wire extensions that would be needed) with shipping I believe it was right at $25. I didn't get a wiring diagram, and when I called him back he said he didn't have one. He gave me some directions over the phone, which didn't make much sense since I hadn't opened the fans yet and didn't have any reference to what/where he was describing, but it wasn't hard to figure out.

I will say I love the option of running one in and the other out to create a strong airflow. Nice to have the option to have the down draft on the front couch during the day, and down draft on the rear bed when sleeping/napping. $25 isn't exactly a bargain for 2 switches, but not enough for me to do without. So just think of it as a really cool upgrade for way less than $100!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...0-a-28364.html
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I have reversed the fan by switching the two wires—one red (presumably hot) and one yellow or white (presumably ground; with the bright sky in the background, it looked yellow, but it was hard to see color) from the fan motor...........................

You did all that since you posted wondering if you could?

I am significantly impressed.

Ken
Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hey Gene, All those screws can be eliminated...well most of them. They make a screen, called POP-a Screen or Pop-a-vent (can't remember exactly) which makes it really easy to clean the screen and blades. It just press fits in place of the old screen. I was always stripping all those screws in the plastic anyway.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #52
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
You did all that since you posted wondering if you could?

I am significantly impressed.

Ken
Ken, thanks for the compliment.

I hadn't thought it through very well and then remembered the way to reverse a motor is to switch the wires.

The next question was whether it was prewired for a 3 position switch (3 pole, triple throw, if I recall correctly and probably don't) which would have made it easier. So I finally took it apart and once I saw how it was wired and I tested the incoming wires (line), it was easy. But it wasn't pre-wired for intake and exhaust. Basically it was reversing the motor wires which meant making them longer. I had the connecters and red and white auto wire and added some tape to be absolutely sure.

I like to do electrical work, but don't do it enough to be fast and I have to think it through. Auto wiring (I see this as auto wiring) has some peculiarities that I'm always rusty on. I'm more used to residential wiring. It took about 2 hours which is really, really slow.

The fans have a ground wire and don't rely on the frame for a ground. That was good.

Gene
Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Talking Done - and it works!

The switch arrived yesterday, and I installed it today
The only documentation was a copy of the new wiring diagram.

After removing the plate from the ceiling, I spent about 15 minutes making sure I understood what changes needed to made. One trip to the roof was necessary to reroute one of the motor power leads.

Once back together all works without a problem.

Ken
Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
We ordered our switch a couple of weeks ago from Dorothy at the Florida Distribution Center for $25. We installed it in our front area fan; basically the same experience as Ken; figuring out the necessary changes and a trip to the roof to reroute one wire. Worked great when it was all put back in place.

Thought that $25 might be a little pricey but felt the benefit to be worth it. Also we've had great customer service from the guys at Fantastic Fan and knew we'd be satisfied.

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
The best way to cool an AS with Fantastice Vents is to close all the windows, set one fan to blow in and the other to blow out. You're then in a tunnel of moving air and opening a window diminishes the flow and degrades performance.

Make sure that your black tank vent is open and free of obstructions (insect hives) or gasses will build pressure in the tank and burp foul odor into the trailer every time you flush.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Endless Breeze

When FV sent my IN-OUT switch, they enclosed a brochure that showed a portable 3 speed 12V fan call the "Endless Breeze".
I just ordered one from Amazon. I am hoping that by placing it in or near the bedroom doorway, it will help move the cool air from the front A/C back into the bedroom on hot nights. since it is 12 volt I am sure I will find other uses for it also.

http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Ven.../dp/B0000AY2Z6

Ken
Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #57
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
When FV sent my IN-OUT switch, they enclosed a brochure that showed a portable 3 speed 12V fan call the "Endless Breeze".
Ken
We have had an Endless Breeze for years. When we first tie up and the trailer is heat soaked, we point it forward at the couch so we have a cooler place to relax. It is amazing what a breeze does to help us feel cooler even when the trailer interior is still in the 90s.

At night the EB blows cool air into the bedroom. Our cats love the moving air at floor level when it is hot. All three will be curled up in front of the EB.

I have installed 4 12v outlets at floor level so we can use the EB anywhere in the trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #58
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have had one for years also. It's a great. quiet little fan that has many uses. The FF people back this unit the same as the FFs. I broke a foot on mine once and another time the plug came apart and a few parts wound up in the grey tank. Both times the company shipped me the replacement parts at no charge.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #59
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I dropped my Endless Breeze and broke both feet (the fans feet, not mine). They sent me replacements at no charge. The feet are the one delicate feature of the fans.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #60
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
another time the plug came apart and a few parts wound up in the grey tank.
Richard, I've gotta ask—how did the parts end up in the grey tank? Were you "fixing" the plug over the sink? Washing it? How come they didn't stay in the P trap?

Glad you weren't doing this over the toilet.

Gene

Tags
reverse switch, fantastic fan