Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #29
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up Fantastic Vent Support

My experience with FF has been outstanding. They stock parts and ship from the factory pronto pronto. Its all made in the USA and that appeals to me. I'm tired of cheap Chinese knock-offs trying to capture the market with cheap prices and no support. FF people are RV people and work hard to earn your business. No, I am not employed by them, but I love em'.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I'm working on cleaning/repairing our '97 which sat outside in storage for a couple of years in PA. Both of the FF's are to weak to open the covers via the built in motor. I called Fantastic Fan this morning and they are sending out rebuild kits for both fans. At no charge. They are even paying the shipping.

It is truly refreshing to see a company which stands behind its product (even though there isn't any warranty in effect after this much time). I also appreciate that they use US components where possible.

They have made a customer for life!

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

Brad went to Fantastic Vent today. The crank on the motor wasn't engaging and opening or closing the vent. He also needed a plate over the mechanism for the other. They replaced not just the part but the entire mechanism and gave him a hat...no charge. We have had outstanding customer service from Fantastic Vent through the years. They put in our vents when we had High-Low trailers and they keep our Airstream fans running like clockwork. I have even brought a visiting friend over and we were offered a tour. Friendly folks and great service for a great product! Thanks Fantastic Vent!!!

Feelin' Fantastic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	feelinfantastic.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	107089  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #32
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We ordered a reversible switch for the Fantastic vent in our 06 Safari SE 19' from the Fantastic Vent Florida Distribution Center, (863) 655-2644 ask for Dottie. For some reason we couldn't get it directly from Fantastic Vent. You need to let them know what model of fan you have (rain sensor equipped or not, etc, etc) and they can provide the correct switch. We went from a Model 6000BTA (fully active rain sensor, 3-speed w/thermal element) to a 6000RBTA, which was everything plus a reversible fan. It was about $40 with shipping if I remember right. They send wiring diagrams for both the original and how it should be rewired with the new switch. I did it myself, mostly from inside the Bambi...only one part needed to be done from on top. If I can do it anyone can do it. It's great being able to change the direction of the airflow.
Here is an update:
Today, I contacted Fan-Tastic Vent directly and they referred me to the Florida Distribution center. The number I was given is 810 444-0607.
I reached a very helpful lady who not only took my order, but also taught me a few tricks about operating the fans. It seems she teaches seminars to RV groups about operating the fans.

Ken
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Not having really thought this through, isn't there a way to reverse the wires between the motor and the switch to get it to blow in? Then no need to get another switch.

I called FF almost 4 years ago to get the reversing switch, but I didn't have the model number, so nothing happened. I never looked for it and still haven't solved the problem ("mañana" issue here). We leave one fan on when the trailer is sitting at home during summer to keep temp down but it would work better with both on, one exhaust, one not.

Gene
Old 08-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Not having really thought this through, isn't there a way to reverse the wires between the motor and the switch to get it to blow in? Then no need to get another switch.

I called FF almost 4 years ago to get the reversing switch, but I didn't have the model number, so nothing happened. I never looked for it and still haven't solved the problem ("mañana" issue here). We leave one fan on when the trailer is sitting at home during summer to keep temp down but it would work better with both on, one exhaust, one not.

Gene
Somewhere in the wiring that should certainly be possible. However then of course it is still a one way only fan. When I get my switch, I will investigate that and let you know.

Ken
Old 08-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I got a clarification from Dorothy (see above) on why AS doesn't use the reversing switch. There is an "old" law (maybe RVIA standard or the RV version of FMVSS for motor vehicles) that states you cannot draw air in within 36" of a sewer vent or propane vessel or line.

That being said she is sending ($25) a switch for my front room vent. My bedroom has the FF with the wall thermostat and no on off switch on the unit itself. So you can't just pop a switch in. I'm sure I could engineer something, but as stated above, one vent pushing in and one out is probably the way I would use them anyway.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I just talked to FF and was told that they will not send you a reversing switch for free and that you can only get it from a distributer or retailer for money. Many people have posted on this thread and others that it was free, so either they have changed their policy or some people get treated differently than others.

I also asked about the rain sensor. It doesn't seem to work unless the fan motor is running. Since we leave one fan on exhaust and the other one's door open with the fan off (why have 2 exhaust fans running?), when it rains, the door doesn't close. I asked the FF guy if there was a way to make the door close automatically when it rains without turning on the fan.

He was one of those guys who assumes everyone is stupid and over explains things. The over explanation is so lengthy, when I made sure I understood him and asked him a yes or no question, he explained it again. If he had listened to my questions, he could have answered a lot faster. I told him I thought the controls were confusing and he told me they weren't. I ought to know whether they are confusing to us. Our fan has one on/off switch, a fan motor switch with 3 speeds, a door open/close switch, a temp switch with many settings, and a knob that can open and close the door if pulled out for the manual setting. Some work if others are on, but not necessarily. We can't open the door with the switch unless the fan and on/off switches are on, but then once it opens all the way, you have to turn off the fan switch, or use the manual knob. This is confusing to us. He was surprised when I told him I have seen posts saying it is confusing and that FF gives you a reversing switch for free.

This was not a good phone call. This guy obviously gets a lot of dumb questions, but if you are going to field such calls, you have to judge whether someone is stupid or not and respond accordingly, and you have to watch out about contradicting their experience.

I had almost 4 years to fix this, so it hasn't been a major issue. The solution is to switch the wires from the fan motor and it will run as an intake fan. Switching them at the switch will not change the direction if all it does it interrupt the hot wire. If the ground wire goes to the switch as well as the hot wire, then you could reverse them. I'll have to take it apart to see because the wires may be set up for a switch that runs both direction. I'll do it soon. Yes, it will be a one way fan, but I'm not sending them $25 for a simple switch.

Gene
Old 08-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I just talked to FF and was told that they will not send you a reversing switch for free and that you can only get it from a distributer or retailer for money. Many people have posted on this thread and others that it was free, so either they have changed their policy or some people get treated differently than others.

I also asked about the rain sensor. It doesn't seem to work unless the fan motor is running. Since we leave one fan on exhaust and the other one's door open with the fan off (why have 2 exhaust fans running?), when it rains, the door doesn't close. I asked the FF guy if there was a way to make the door close automatically when it rains without turning on the fan.

He was one of those guys who assumes everyone is stupid and over explains things. The over explanation is so lengthy, when I made sure I understood him and asked him a yes or no question, he explained it again. If he had listened to my questions, he could have answered a lot faster. I told him I thought the controls were confusing and he told me they weren't. I ought to know whether they are confusing to us. Our fan has one on/off switch, a fan motor switch with 3 speeds, a door open/close switch, a temp switch with many settings, and a knob that can open and close the door if pulled out for the manual setting. Some work if others are on, but not necessarily. We can't open the door with the switch unless the fan and on/off switches are on, but then once it opens all the way, you have to turn off the fan switch, or use the manual knob. This is confusing to us. He was surprised when I told him I have seen posts saying it is confusing and that FF gives you a reversing switch for free.

This was not a good phone call.

I had almost 4 years to fix this, so it hasn't been a major issue. The solution is to switch the wires from the fan motor and it will run backwards. Switching them at the switch will not change the direction.

Gene
Leave the fan switch on and turn the thermostat all the way up till fan turns off. Rain sensor will work then as the unit is still "powered up".
Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I received a free switch in 2007 and installed it, however, I almost always have the front fan blowing in, so I might as well have simply switched the wires to the fan motor.

We run the front fan blowing in and the rear fan sucking out almost all of the time. We have three cats in the trailer and I never trust the AC if we are gone. I leave the AC running and the thermostats on the fans set so that they are just barely stopped. If the AC fails, the fans start up.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Leave the fan switch on and turn the thermostat all the way down till fan turns off. Rain sensor will work then as the unit is still "powered up".
Good work around. I like that.

Gene
Old 08-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I received a free switch in 2007 and installed it, however, I almost always have the front fan blowing in, so I might as well have simply switched the wires to the fan motor.

We run the front fan blowing in and the rear fan sucking out almost all of the time. We have three cats in the trailer and I never trust the AC if we are gone. I leave the AC running and the thermostats on the fans set so that they are just barely stopped. If the AC fails, the fans start up.
Reading between the lines of my conversation with FF awhile ago....they can't "sell" parts" directly due to distributor agreements. He asked if I currently had an in/out switch. When I said no, he directed me to Dorothy who work for an "arm" of FF. (company owned distributor????)

If i'd said yes.......well, I can't do that...you do what you will.

As far as free parts go, he did offer that if I ever have any issue to let him know and he'd take care of it, but upgrade parts.....free upgrade parts? ya gotta have a line somewhere.

Apparently some folks got ahold of someone who "didn't get the memo"
Old 08-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Here is an update:
Today, I contacted Fan-Tastic Vent directly and they referred me to the Florida Distribution center. The number I was given is 810 444-0607.
I reached a very helpful lady who not only took my order, but also taught me a few tricks about operating the fans. It seems she teaches seminars to RV groups about operating the fans.

Ken
To clarify, I am paying for the switch.

Ken
Old 08-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
To clarify, I am paying for the switch.

Ken
Ken,

I wasn't pointing at anybody...please don't think that. I was using "you" in the plural, non-specific sense.

Tags
reverse switch, fantastic fan