Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Fantastic Vent Help Needed

We are thinking seriously about installing 2 fantastic vents in our 80 Excella. We priced it at the nearest authorized Airstream Dealer and the 2 fans were $612/ total and the installation was $270/each! Their prices seem a little high, especially the installation charge. We found an authorized Fantastic Vent dealer nearby, but they won't work on Airstreams.

I think I read here that they are sometimes available at Rally s and we could have them installed then. Or maybe you know of somewhere with better pricing in the mid atlantic area? We live in lower Delaware.

Thanks for your help!
Sue and Ran
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Cough.... choke.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
THe Fantastic vent folks are usually at the International and also Florida state. I have installed my own and would say it took an hour each. Just need to find a source of 12 volts, and chances are it is already there
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Wow I am in the wrong business. You can buy them on line and with help from this sight do it for less than half of that. It should only take an afternoon to do both.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Fan-Tastic Fan Vent
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Wow!! Just priced the ones we want on the VTS site (Thank you Ganglin!) and they are $209/each!! I don't mind paying a reasonable mark up on an item but now both the item and installation pricing seem crazy.

I'm not sure I can convince Ran to give installation a try. I think we've both been so frightened by the leak damage threads that we're afraid afraid to "open" the shell in any way.

Sigh
Old 08-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Do a YouTube search. There was a nice video that shows the install well
. It was done by one of those car restoration shows so it is pretty good quality. If I were at a real computer I could post you a link. The install is not difficult and you will get to know your trailer better.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wow...it would be nice to know who the "nearest" is.

I know it's a dealer.... but thats hard to swallow.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If you get them from Vintage Trailer supply they have them with silver hatch covers to match the trailer. Also a curved trim piece for the inside that matches the contour of the roof. By all means get the one with the rain sensor. It is a life saver, trust me.

Installation is took me better part of a day so the quote from the dealer isn't all that bad considering labor cost now per hour. Mine had 40 years of goop and junk covering the rivets. Took forever to just get down to the rivets, then you have to drill them out, then you have to slightly enlarge and square off the opening both inside and out. If you do it yourself, the pro's recommend not using the foam gasket that comes with the fan. Rather lay down a good bead of vulkem and bed the base in that. Also, get some stainless steel washers and put under the head of the screws. That will distribute the load over a larger area and help keep the base from cracking. Then cover the screws with a dab of vulkem. That is how I did mine and have had no leaks. I love it.
If you don't have 12 volts close to the outlet installation will be much harder.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Somke of the fans have features that make them a lot morexpensive. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Screws vs Rivets

So, do you use screws or rivets to fix it to the roof? Bruce's advice seems good--and frankly easier--than using rivets, like they do in the Classic Rides video. Pros/Cons????

Thanks again to everyone!
Sue and Ran
Old 08-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I put 2 FF's in my AS last year. Relatively easy job. I was replacing 2 fans that I removed so the 12v power was already in place. I used screws to fasten them down. It was mentioned earlier about the rain sensor's. Get them, they work, and allow you to have the use of the fan even when you are away, if you want. Not difficult but you do have to take care when working on the roof. But a relatively easy job.

You will also need a couple of sheet metal shears. The FF's are slightly oversized from the original AS fans and you need to do a little trimming. Shears come in left handed / right handed & straight. It goes easier if you have each time. But I'm sure it can be done without.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse
I put 2 FF's in my AS last year. Relatively easy job. I was replacing 2 fans that I removed so the 12v power was already in place. I used screws to fasten them down. It was mentioned earlier about the rain sensor's. Get them, they work, and allow you to have the use of the fan even when you are away, if you want. Not difficult but you do have to take care when working on the roof. But a relatively easy job.

You will also need a couple of sheet metal shears. The FF's are slightly oversized from the original AS fans and you need to do a little trimming. Shears come in left handed / right handed & straight. It goes easier if you have each time. But I'm sure it can be done without.
can tin snips be used to trim the openings?
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The units from VTS come with a great template to make the cuts. Snips are fine. I used a jig saw. I tapped 12 volts from the nearby light fixtures in my '81. A couple of hours will be plenty for both fans.

Order 4 tubes of trempro(new name for vulkem) and you will have some left for other sealing needs.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
For me, the job of installing the Fantastic fans was removing the OEM vents. Once the old vents were off it was just a matter of squaring up the opening and screwing the new fan down. I installed three Fantastic fans and no leaks at all in one year of testing.

My blog has some pictures of the process.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Fantastic Vent Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysue925 View Post
We are thinking seriously about installing 2 fantastic vents in our 80 Excella. We priced it at the nearest authorized Airstream Dealer and the 2 fans were $612/ total and the installation was $270/each! Their prices seem a little high, especially the installation charge. We found an authorized Fantastic Vent dealer nearby, but they won't work on Airstreams.

I think I read here that they are sometimes available at Rally s and we could have them installed then. Or maybe you know of somewhere with better pricing in the mid atlantic area? We live in lower Delaware.

Thanks for your help!
Sue and Ran

In case you're interested in how our story played out.....

We got in touch with Frank Yensan (62overlander) to see if he had any suggestions. Turns out that he is a Fantastic Vent Distributor! So for only $35 dollars more than the dealer was going to charge for the 2 fans--not installed-- we now have 2 fans installed and also the little portable 12v fantastic fan.

We couldn't be more pleased with how things worked out. We have quality installation of terrific fans by a skilled craftsman. The fellows at the dealer really weren't too interested on working on our trailer--they would rather have sold us a new one. Vintage Airstreams are Frank's passion. He's a terrific resource if you're any where near Baltimore. Even if you're not close it would be worth the trip to have someone who really knows and cares about your trailer work on it.

So--Thank You Frank!! Hope to see you soon,

Sue and Ran
Old 09-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Home Depot sells a cheap set (LH+RH) of sheet metal shears (tin snips) which are adequate to install two vents. I used sheet metal screws to attach them with few problems, but make sure that any screw points won't hit electrical wires under the skin. Don't use the gasket but do use enough sealant so that it squeezes out a lot when the screws are tightened, and finally cover the screw heads with sealant after you're finished. You can use construction adhesive to stick the trim frames inside instead of using screws or rivets whose drilling can hit electrical wires.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Thanks Crusty

Thank you for the advice. Frank Yensan installed the fans for us and they are perfect. Can't wait to get out and use them!

Sue
Old 09-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
WOW

It was an honor to work for you. Honest work at an honest rate. Have a blast streamin.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantastic fan