Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
2006 F350 V10 Ext. Cab LB

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Fantastic Vent - Excellent Customer Service

Hi,

All's well after having some trouble with my 1998 original equipment Fantastic Vent. Not expecting anything other than maybe some advice, I went to the company's web site and used their 'Ask A Question?' feature to descibe my problem. Their response was prompt, they provided needed parts and change-out instructions and it didn't cost me a dime. Remember this is on a 10 year old product. I'm impressed.

Walt

Email dialog with them:
In a message dated 9/26/2008 10:24:30 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, XlsWalt writes:
Hi Jeff,
The parts arrived on Wednesday and I installed them yesterday. The install went well, though I was a bit confused with the part about "If equipped with a rain sensor, unscrew it on top of fan and partially feed through the T-slot". I couldn't make it out so I didn't, but there was enough room to make the changes needed. Another minor anomaly was that the 3" screw would not self start, I did have to drill a 1/8" starter hole in the main base for it.
Thanks again for your help. After several test cycles, I can see the unit now functions very well.
Best Regards,
Walt Weber
xlsWalt@aol.com
************************************************** ***************************************
In a message dated 9/17/2008 10:09:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, XlsWalt writes:
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the clarification, I look forward to getting the job done.
Best Regards,
Walt Weber
xlsWalt@aol.com
************************************************** **************************************
In a message dated 9/17/2008 9:58:47 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jeffat1@fantasticvent.com writes:
HI WALT,
YES, YOU WILL NEED TO USE THE 3" SCREW. I WILL TRY TO EXPLAIN THIS AS BEST I CAN. SO IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK!!
THE RECTANGULAR DOME LIFT MOTOR THAT YOU HAVE IS OBSOLETE. WE HAVE A NEW STYLE DOME LIFT MOTOR. WHAT WE HAD TO DO WAS MAKE A RETROFIT MOTOR WITH A CAP THAT WOULD COVER THAT RECTANGULAR CUT OUT IN THE SCREEN. ON THE OLD MOTOR WE HAD 2 PLASTIC PEGS ON THE BACK OF THE MOTOR. THESE TWO PEGS PRESSED AGAINST THE TOP OF THE MAIN BASE TO GIVE IT STABILITY. ON THE NEW MOTORS THERE ARE NO PEGS FOR STABILITY. SO WE USE THE 3" SCREW TO PROVIDE STABILITY. THIS SCREW WILL GO THROUGH THE EAR OF THE LIFT MOTOR ON THE SIDE WITH NO SCREW BOSS COMING DOWN FROM THE MAIN BASE. START A PILOT HOLE IN THE SCREEN AND RUN THE SCREW UP INTO THE MAIN BASE. JUST GET THE SCREW STARTED IN THE MAIN BASE AND FINISH IT OFF WITH A HAND SCREW DRIVER. SCREW IT IN UNTIL IT IS FLUSH WITH THE EAR. WE DON'T WANT THE MOTOR TO BIND AND STRIP AGAIN. I HOPE THIS HELPS, IF NOT LET ME KNOW.
JEFF
************************************************** ************************************************** *****
XlsWalt@aol.com wrote:
Hi Jeff,
I've read through the attachments you sent. The 3" screw change described in 'TRBSHT5Model(1)-3INSCREWATMTR.pdf' and 'Lift-Arm&MotorSwap.pdf' (Page 2) seems to relate only to those units without a knob. Mine does have a knob as shown in '6000RBTA_BC_Layout1(1).pdf'. Will mine require the 3" screw change?
Thanks again for your help.
Best Regards,
Walt Weber
xlsWalt@aol.com
In a message dated 9/17/2008 8:59:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jeffat1@fantasticvent.com writes:
HELLO AGAIN WALT,
DON'T WORRY, THIS IS NOT VERY COMPLICATED. I WILL INCLUDE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS PROCEDURE. I AM ALSO AVAILABLE BY PHONE TO HELP YOU THROUGH THIS. OUR NUMBER IS 1-800-521-0298. I WON'T LEAVE YOU HANGING OUT TO DRY, I PROMISE!!! I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HELP IN ANY WAY. YOUR PARTS ARE LEAVING TODAY AND SHOULD BE ARRIVING TO YOU IN 5 TO 6 BUSINESS DAY'S. THEY WILL COME AT NO CHARGE TO YOU. I AM SENDING INSTRUCTIONS VIA EMAIL AND WILL INCLUDE THEM IN THE PACKAGE.
THANK YOU,
JEFF ATWELL
************************************************** ************************************************** *****
XlsWalt@aol.com wrote:
Hi Jeff,
The trailer is a 1998 Airstream Excella 1000 30' model. The lift motor part is more rectangular and the auto/manual operation is the thumb slide type. The unit does have the rain sensor, in case that makes any difference in what I need.
Jeff, I'm only marginally competent at this kind of thing. Can you send me very clear instructions as to what I need to do to fix this.
Thanks so much!
Best Regards,
Walt Weber
xlsWalt@aol.com
In a message dated 9/17/2008 8:05:00 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jeffat1@fantasticvent.com writes:
GOOD MORNING WALT,
I WILL SEND YOU OUT A NEW DOME LIFT ASSEMBLY AT NO CHARGE. IS YOUR DOME LIFT MOTOR PEAR OR EGG SHAPED WITH A KNOB THAT YOU PUSH OR PULL FOR AUTO TO MANUAL OPERATION? OR IS IT MORE RECTANGULAR WITH A THUMB SLIDE FOR AUTO/MANUAL OPERATION? WHAT IS THE YEAR OF YOUR RV?
WALT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN GET YOUR PARTS OUT RIGHT AWAY!!!
THANK YOU,
JEFF ATWELL
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Ask A Question?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:15:29 EDT
To: shelley@fantasticvent.com
Hi,
When my Fantastic vent in rear bedroom of my Airstream closes using the motor, it seems to be fully closed but the motor doesn't stop and I'm afraid where the lifting shaft enters the motor shaft is being stripped of it's teeth. One of the small screws that holds the motor in place has been stripped by the downward force of the shafts separating. I can replace the small screw with something a bit larger diameter. Is there some adjustment I can make at the motor to have it stop when the lid is closed?
Best Regards,
Walt Weber
xlsWalt@aol.com
Driver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Fantastic customer service! Customers for life!
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
The mechanism for raising and lowering the cover on our Fantastic Fan wore out to the point where the cover would no longer stay tight in the down position. When in Quartzsite AZ last January, I asked a vendor who handled Fantastic where I might get a new mechanism. He reached under the counter and handed me one. When I asked him "How much?" he answered, "Oh, that's OK. That shouldn't have failed." Ten minutes later I had the new one in place.

The frame on my Fantastic Fan was cracked at one of the screw holes. In June 2006 at the WBCCI International in Salem, OR, Fantastic gave me a new screen. Airstream wanted $13.50 for the same part at their "store". The lady at Fantastic said that Airstream gets them free.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i had a similar experience with them. a 'problem' turned into a wonderful experience!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
My Fantastic vent story.....

Hello all -

I too suddenly had a problem with the FF on the front of my '92 34' Classic Limited. The shaft coming off the motor going to the lift arm (there is a press on fitting that joins the shafts). That is where the press on piece was stripped where it joins the lift shaft. Called Fantastic Vent and spoke to Steve. He figured out my problem even though I didn't explain it very clearly ( incorrect parts terminology, I think) and sent the repair/ replacement parts off the same day. 2 days later and I am back in business with a fully functioning fan in my SilverToy.

Parts were gratis for me as well.

I am a serious fan for life of the company and it's products - Fantastic Vent ROCKS!!!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Customer Service

Fantastic Fans
What can I say, they are committed to Customer SERVICE. This is something I really have a problem with most so called American companies these days. I will always use their products because of the customer service. Oh... by the way their products work great too.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with, or hold monetary interest in Fantastic Fans.
Just one fine product and great customer service.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
There are many more stories of their great customer support in the archives here and on other RV forums.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Fantastic Vent

Hi, on my 2005 Safari the Fantastic Vent lid would stick closed; I E-mailed their customer service department asking for what I should do to prevent this from happening. I tried differrent lubes, but the lid still stuck when sitting for long periods of non use. Fantastic Vent sent to me a new lift gear and lift motor assembly. Also some special lube for the rubber seal. Next I asked them about my fan motor making noise; They told me to run the fan motor in reverse at times and the noise should go away. "I can't reverse my fan, it only turns one way." They sent to me a kit to make my fan motor blow out or in. Sometime later I E-mailed to them again to tell them that my fan motor still makes noise. Fantastic Vent sent to me a new fan motor with mounting bracket and fan blade. Now everything works perfect. Note: Fantastic Vent Co. sent all parts to me for free and all parts were sent after my warranty was expired. I have never in my life received service like this and I'm pretty old.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Your preaching to the choir!

Some of the best customer service of any company I have ever had !

Won't buy any other fan!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
When we were packing for the Albuquerque trip I found that one of the feet for our Endless Breeze (portable fan made by Fantastic) was broken. The new parts were waiting for us when we returned from our trip. Great customer service, no questions asked, and a make it right kind of attitude.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Fantastic Fan is a great product from a great company. My ceiling trim was cracked at the screw holes on my 1989 trailer. One phonecall and it was in the mail to me at no cost. They are among the best in customer service.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
This is what we should expect from all companies including AS!!!!!!!!!!! I had a 10 year old Marmot rain coat... It leaked, called them not expecting much... The credited me $200 more than i paid for it and said I could pay the difference if I wanted a higher end coat.. Just pick the one I wanted... They sent it off no shipping... I only buy Marmot brand gore tex coats and pants.......

Companies just don't get it.... MORE MONEY< MORE PROFIT... thats all thats on most of there minds......

Way to go Fantastic Fan,,, I will consider buying one for my '68 maybe two...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Amazing company! You'd think more vendors would figure this out. Wouln't buy from anyone else!

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Bronx boy in New Mexico, Missouri point of view

Convince me,

My 71 factory vents and fans still work. Why would/ should I want to switch?

Thanks,
Marshall
Old 10-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I'm sort of with you. I won't be replacing my working fans anytime soon. But when they go, I've already picked out their fantastic fan replacements.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
But the name says it all "FANTASTIC" really it's a cool name... They have rain sensors so they close on there own... They blow in or out, and they have a temp gage on them so they come on and off automatically... I will get some some day...

Plus they are FANTASTIC

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote