Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2003, 12:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Fantastic Vent

Just wanted to relay an astounding conversation I just had with the Fantastic Vent Tech Support.

We bought a 1985 25' Soveriegn that had a Fantastic Fan installed in the kitchen. It wasn't working & the P.O. said he didn't know why...

After talking to Bob at Fantastic Vent I proceeded to disassemble the interior casing so I could check the wiring.
Well the three-speed switch was unplugged, the reverse switch was burned & chared, the crank / lever arm was unscrewed from the mount & missing the grommet wheel...

So I called Bob back and all he asked me for was my address. He's sending the complete interior casing w/ all the switches and the correct Airstream mounting (the P.O. had used a square mounting and all 4 corners had cracked). Was amazed that they are covering this when I'm not the original owner & it's pretty clear the P.O. had damaged the fan...

What a pleasant surprise to see a manufacturer stand by their product so well!!!

Roy
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Fantastic!

This seems to be typical of the Fantastic Fan folks. Over the years, I have heard a lot of similar stories. It pays off ... I wouldn't buy anything else.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

parts for fantastic fan

When I needed the interior trim piece for AS it was sent to my door by UPS at no charge.
I have not used the vent yet, except to test it, but if it is as good as their customer service, I know I will be pleased.
There is one thing I am a little concerned about. The instructions said to seal around the vent with silicone which I did. Somewhere else on this forum someone said that vulkem should be used. Does anyone know if silicone will give a problem?

Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:07 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Silicone vs. Vulkem

There is nothing wrong with using silicone on ALuminum but you have to use natural cure silicone. ALmost all of the silicone on the market is acetic cure which will corrode the aluminum. The labels usually say if it is natural or acetic. If it smells like vinegar, stay away.

Of couse, just sticking with vulkem solves the problem altogether.
topazken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Airstream Ventilation

May I make a suggestion. Power is a big concern when traveling. In the Marine industry, solar ventilation is standard. They have fabulous 3" & 4" vent fans that come with their own solar panel and batteries. These fans run 24hs a day by using the solarpanel during the day and rechargeable batteries at night. They are quiet and made for boats so they do not leak. I installed one in the bathroom, replacing the 12v fan which was noisy and a power hog. Now I have constant ventilation and no power worries.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Why is it that marine equipment so often seems better thought out and better made than the RV stuff?

They are both for mobility and travel.

There is a ton of well made stuff in a West Marine catalog that has lots of applicaton in the Airstream world.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think most would suggest not using silcone on Airstreams. The temp expansion of Aluminum panels will not hold the seal. Silcone is kinda hit and miss - it will stick some places and not others - so vulkem is best because it sticks well and will expand/contract with the alum.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Why is it that marine equipment so often seems better thought out and better made than the RV stuff?

There is a ton of well made stuff in a West Marine catalog that has lots of applicaton in the Airstream world.

Sergei
Price I would bet...servicing would be my second bet. Take an Airstream to Camping World and see if they want to work on it If it had marine grade equipment you would never get it worked on by an RV dealer. FWIW I agree with you and several of my upgrades are from the marine segment.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:05 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Vulkem vs. Silicone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I think most would suggest not using silcone on Airstreams. The temp expansion of Aluminum panels will not hold the seal. Silcone is kinda hit and miss - it will stick some places and not others - so vulkem is best because it sticks well and will expand/contract with the alum.

Ken
I do not want to pick a fight but I think that what you are saying about silicone is partly true but mostly rumor. Neither Vulkem nor silicone are the master of adhesion. If you really want something to stick, try 3M 5200. Only try it on things you never want to take apart again.

Both Vulkem and silicone rely on flexibility and its use as a "pour in place" gasket. It is the compression of the mated surfaces that keep vulkem and, especially, silicone from leaking.

As Vulkem seems to be the Airstream standard I say, "Go with it." My post about silicone was intended to make the point that despite many claims on the forum, silicone works just fine on aluminum as long as it is natural cure silicone.

For the record, I used silicone to bed the hatches on my yacht. Five years and a trip around the world ( some 30000 plus miles) later and the silicone is still leak free. Silicone, when applied properly, can hold up the the incredible rigors of ocean travel which includes sun, salt, extreme flexing (from freakish storms) and the expansion and contraction of equatorial heat and high latitude cold.

Just my thoughts...
Old 11-30-2005, 05:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:

Sergei
Could it be that they do not seek out some of the lowest cost items to be used in the initial construction?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:03 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
One other thing to watch with silicone is film thickness. It has very low shear strength. If you squeze it down to a thin film, expansion and contracton will break the bond. Keep the film thick and it will give a bit and maintain adhesion. Also, be sure that the surfaces are clean enough to eat off or beter. Silicone will not bond to cured silicone, so clean, clean, clean.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Why is it that marine equipment so often seems better thought out and better made than the RV stuff?Sergei
Sergei, the marine equipment has to endure a far more hostile environment, and it has to be far more reliable. My yacht has been doused in salt spray over the past 30 years. If a switch fails and my auxiliary engine will not start at a critical moment, I can't call AAA and wait comfortably at the roadside. That's why I'm prepared to pay $30 for a switch in my yacht, whereas I might pay $3 for a switch for an Airstream. The manufacturers will respond accordingly in the standard of the finished articles.
Nick.