Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
Fantastic or Stock Pros & Cons

Any input on the pros & Cons of the Fantastic Vent fan as opposed to the orig.equipment ?
aviontt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Thumbs up

YEP! Fantastic fans are quieter and move more air for the same or lesser number of amps. When we were looking for a TT it amazed me that only a handfull of manufacturers used the Fantastic fans. Most of them were still using those crappy little noise makers, even in the high end units. The only con if you can call it that, is if your unit is old enough the vent hole is not quite large enough, it will require some metal sugery to make the Fantastic Fan fit properly. Those are one upgrade that are very high on my list of projects.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

they sure work!

Personally, I wouldn't be without one on at least one vent. I like fresh air and they do a great job of removing heat and cooking smells......would recommend the one with the rain sensor...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:20 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have to second or third the positive on the fantastic's. I installed 3 of them on my new to me 78 MH. The originals were in rough shape and did not close properly. The fantastics cost more than replacing the messed up covers, but I am pleased with the performance! I have 2 with rain sensors and one without.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
Tryin' To get over the ( it's original) Thing..Like cut a hole in my roof.......yikes!!!!!!!!
aviontt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:26 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by aviontt
Tryin' To get over the ( it's original) Thing..Like cut a hole in my roof.......yikes!!!!!!!!
I kind of know how you feel, I really like the look of the orginal Hehr units, and when they work they are an engineering marvel, I mean any idiot can put a piano hinge and a couple of springs together and make a vent. I am going to compromise by putting 2 Fantastic fans in, one in the very front lounge area and the other in the bathroom. I plan on leaving the one in the kitchen area, seeing how I already have a range vent fan. So at least one will be orginal, and I will have two more for repair parts

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 03:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fantastic or Stock Pros & Cons

I had the Fantastic Vent representatives replace both of the original vents in my '64 Overlander back in '99 at the Dayton, Ohio WBCCI International Rally. I haven't regretted the decision for a minute. I could never tell that the original fans did a bit of good - - their only contribution to my camping experiences was an excess of noise. The Fantastic Vents are extremely quiet and very effective - - I find having the ability to switch from intake to exhaust to be very beneficial.

When traveling with my two Chihuahuas, I have the one in the bathroom set to exhaust and the one in the lounge area set to intake - - keeps a nice breeze circulating through the trailer. They certainly do not substitute for air conditioning, but they make conditions bearable at most of the Rallys where air conditioning isn't an option.

I did keep my original Hehr vents just in case I decide to return to the original configuration at some point. There wasn't any additional cutting necessary on my coach for some reason - - in fact, for the bathroom vent the original Airstream trim was re-used.

I am just waiting to see how the installation goes on my Argosy. Due to its size, it will only have one so I won't get the benefits of having one fan on exhaust while the other is on intake - - but it should still be quite an improvement over stock. I haven't been to a "no-air conditioning" Rally yet with the Minuet so haven't discovered how it will be without its air conditioner.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Fanastic as fans goes..

We replaced the vents, front and rear, with the Fantastic Fan w/rain sensor model~ Like Kevin, I also like the feature of being able to switch direction of air-flow~
On our unit, the opening had to be trim'd around the edges to square the opening for the Fantastic fan.
I'm quite pleased with the overall performance of the new vent system. I rank it as one of the best investments made so far~

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote