Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2A View Post
I own a 25', '04 International CCD, with forward and aft ceiling fans/vents. The fans are not working and I've checked all of the fuses etc. and the manual info. is not helpful in terms of problem solving. They do not appear to be 'dirty' etc.. Is there a 'trick' to these fans, other than having the vents open at least 3"? Power seems to be getting to the Fans, given their millisecond start, but they don't continue. Thanks in advance for any feedback etc..

Barry

Trout Lake, Wa.
When you say there is "millisecond start" do you mean you hear something activate, or do you see the lid start to raise?

I hear that noise sometimes when the lid up/down switch is in the lid down position. Make sure that switch is in the correct position.

I've also have had the lid get stuck after being closed for an extended period. Pull down on the largest knob then turn it to open the lid manually. Doing this should start the fan if the thermostat is calling for cool.

Remember the fan speed knob has to be on 1, 2, or 3 to make the lid open and the fan turn on automatically.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Maggie, the first time you take the screen off from the inside, it seems like you are going to break it. But it flexes and eventually comes free. There is a area wth a slightly raised edge that you can start at. I had to take my fan blade off for some reason on our last trip, I can't remember why, but it too was hard to get off after removing it's holding screw. But it all came as described in the users/installation guide. Putting the fan back you have to align it just so so it doesn't rub against the screen. It all came together about the third time I redid it. A step stool helped to reach everything easily.

Mike

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Mike.

I have taken it off once, to clean the blades, but it was an ordeal.

I clean the screen by vacuuming it.

Since the red light is out, and looking at that requires a repair person getting on the roof, I didn't persist with removing the screen.

Maggie
Old 07-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Maggie, the first time you take the screen off from the inside, it seems like you are going to break it. But it flexes and eventually comes free. There is a area wth a slightly raised edge that you can start at. I had to take my fan blade off for some reason on our last trip, I can't remember why, but it too was hard to get off after removing it's holding screw. But it all came as described in the users/installation guide. Putting the fan back you have to align it just so so it doesn't rub against the screen. It all came together about the third time I redid it. A step stool helped to reach everything easily.

Mike

Mike
Maggie, I had mine off recently on an educational mission since I was dealing with the seals coming loose.
In case you want to try again, as Mike mentioned, start at raised edge...push the flange portion of the screen in at least an 1/8" inch to release the little tab, then pull down. There are maybe a dozen or so, so work your way around the edge. After you've released 3 or 4 tabs, you can start to pull the down & off.

In the image you can see the tab at the edge of the screen so you will know how far you need to push the edge in to release before pulling down. Also you can see the switch. Down flush is the cutoff and popped up allows the motor to turn on presuming the fan switch is on, the thermostat is on high and there is no moisture on the rain sensor.

Check your instructions if you have them. Depending on vintage you may be able to pull the fan out to access the tab.

Goof luck.

Bob

p.s. if you get it working and the screen makes noise, make sure all the tabs are snapped & locked and the flange tight to the housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8526 (Small).JPG
Views:	219
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	267875  
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, guys.

Maggie
Old 07-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Fixed!

The problem was a loose wire to the control panel, which Joe at Fireside Camper in Watertown, SD, fixed from the roof at no charge.

http://www.firesidecamper.com/

Maggie
Old 12-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Fantastic Fan. Red light blinking. Lid will not open automatically

I installed a Fantastic Fan in my Excella last winter. It has worked fine until yesterday when I noticed the red light blinking. Now the lid will not raise on its own.

I cannot find an answer on Fantastic Fan website.

The fan works normally after I open it manually. It will run, the thermostat works, the lid will close if I move the switch to the close position. The lid will not raise when I move the switch to the open position.

Has anyone got a suggestion?

add edit:
This fan does not have remote control
Old 12-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Alan, I am by no means the expert. I had a similar problem when camping at Hatteras this year. After we got home and the AS dried out the fans started working normally. There is a problem with the design IMHO. You can try cleaning the sensor itself. I'm probably going to eliminate the sensor completely.

BTW - I did call the tech. support who swore on a stack of bibles that there is not a problem with these fans. Google says otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I installed a Fantastic Fan in my Excella last winter. It has worked fine until yesterday when I noticed the red light blinking. Now the lid will not raise on its own.

I cannot find an answer on Fantastic Fan website.

The fan works normally after I open it manually. It will run, the thermostat works, the lid will close if I move the switch to the close position. The lid will not raise when I move the switch to the open position.

Has anyone got a suggestion?

add edit:
This fan does not have remote control
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:55 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Alan, I am by no means the expert. I had a similar problem when camping at Hatteras this year. After we got home and the AS dried out the fans started working normally. There is a problem with the design IMHO. You can try cleaning the sensor itself. I'm probably going to eliminate the sensor completely.

BTW - I did call the tech. support who swore on a stack of bibles that there is not a problem with these fans. Google says otherwise
I appreciate the response!
It was a high humidity day in FL yesterday and it's rained most of the night. Maybe dampness was/is the problem.
When it stops raining I'll get on top and clean the sensor.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
I climbed up on top and cleaned the rain sensor with a damp paper towel (though nothing was visible on it). While I was up there I noticed the ground wire from the fan motor does not run back inside the fan housing. It has a ring terminal eyelet connected to the end of the ground wire. That ring terminal eyelet is beneath the nut that holds the plunger switch. I gave that wire a little nudge that tightened the nut a bit. Now the light is not blinking and the fan lid is opening and closing normally. The red light is not blinking.
I assume the issue was either loose ground or a dirty rain sensor , or a combination of both.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
I climbed up on top and cleaned the rain sensor with a damp paper towel (though nothing was visible on it). While I was up there I noticed the ground wire from the fan motor does not run back inside the fan housing. It has a ring terminal eyelet connected to the end of the ground wire. That ring terminal eyelet is beneath the nut that holds the plunger switch. I gave that wire a little nudge that tightened the nut a bit. Now the light is not blinking and the fan lid is opening and closing normally. The red light is not blinking.
I assume the issue was either loose ground or a dirty rain sensor , or a combination of both.
Nice work brother

The issue with the rain sensor being overly sensitive to humidity might still be a issue. Here, I found a thread which may explain my statement:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...de-173222.html

This is my plan to cut the rain sensor wires:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/fant...de-310540.html
Old 12-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #32
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yup, if the red light is blinking on your FF, the moisture sensor in the fan thinks it has been rained on and it won't re-open with the switch until the sensor dries out. A bad connection might possibly cause the same effect.

We had this happen several times during our 3 month trip, much of which was in very humid areas, and "learned by doing." The real comedy began early in our trip when I realized I had wired the fan backwards, so that whenever it got wet, the unit automatically opened the vent as far as possible and held it that way until I cranked it shut by hand and considered what I might have done wrong to cause such a thing.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #33
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I've never observed any blinking lights on our fans but sometimes (actually a lot of times) late at night ours will continually open and close. I've cleaned the sensor but the only cause I can come up with is evening dampness. I end up closing or opening it and shutting it off. Now, that's come back to bite me at least one time with a late night rain storm. So leaving it open and off is probably not a good idea

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #34
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Ah, I upgraded both of our FF units so the fans are reversible. That’s how we got the red light that blinks when the sensor is damp.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #35
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
... but sometimes (actually a lot of times) late at night ours will continually open and close. I've cleaned the sensor but the only cause I can come up with is evening dampness. ...
If our fan closes due to rain it doesn’t re-open automatically, however the thermostat control does open and close the fan cover automatically.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I've never observed any blinking lights on our fans but sometimes (actually a lot of times) late at night ours will continually open and close. I've cleaned the sensor but the only cause I can come up with is evening dampness. I end up closing or opening it and shutting it off. Now, that's come back to bite me at least one time with a late night rain storm. So leaving it open and off is probably not a good idea
Only those FFs built after 2014 have the red light.

I put an Ultra Breeze cover on the fan over the bed on both of my trailers. It fits the fan lid perfectly since it is made by FF. With that done I can leave the fan lid open rain or shine, traveling or parked. Still have to clean the sensor about once per year.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
<<snip>>
This is my plan to cut the rain sensor wires:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/fant...de-310540.html
I just looked at the first few post in the link you provided.

I thought about cutting the wires too, but I do not want to loose that rain sensor function during those times I leave the fan running while I'm not there.

While I was looking at the FF website today I noticed some models have a rain sensor override switch. It appears to be a simple on/off switch. One could add a toggle switch in the fan housing that would act as a disconnect for the rain sensor. Or, maybe FF would provide one if requested?
Old 12-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
I just looked at the first few post in the link you provided.

I thought about cutting the wires too, but I do not want to loose that rain sensor function during those times I leave the fan running while I'm not there.

While I was looking at the FF website today I noticed some models have a rain sensor override switch. It appears to be a simple on/off switch. One could add a toggle switch in the fan housing that would act as a disconnect for the rain sensor. Or, maybe FF would provide one if requested?
If you talk to the techs. at FF let me know how that goes.

I'm also liking the idea of adding: Ultra Breeze cover and cutting the wires so I can leave it open and not worry about rain...as much

Someone mentioned a upgrade that includes a reverse flow function AND a new rain sensor? If that rain sensor is improved I'd be game. Reverse air flow would be excellent.

FWIIW Those rain covers are on sale at Camping World.

Fan-tastic Ultrabreeze Vent Cover - White
Old 12-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
I have 4 FFs, 2 on each of my trailers. All of them have a reverse switch that changes direction of air flow. Three of them are Model 3350 I think. The one in the rear of the Excella was the same model, but Airstream customized by adding a wall mounted thermostat.

I did notice an upgrade kit that had a rain sensor and switch. I think it is an add on of existing technology for the less expensive models that came without, nothing new.