Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Fantastic Fan Times Two?

Just wanted to get comments from folks that may have 2 fantastic fans installed. I have a 2013 Sport 22 with one fantastic fan that came installed from the factory. Looks to be the basic model that only draws air from inside to outside. It cooled the trailer relatively well during my last trip where it was 90+ deg. I have 2 questions:

1) If I would benefit from adding a second that has bidirectional flow.
2) The second potential location would be at the skylight which seems to be bigger than a standard 14x14 opening. Can it be done with some sort of mount?

Thanks!s
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I have a unidirectional FF in the front and a bidirectional FF in the rear of the trailer. This works well for me to quickly replace the inside air with outside air. Close the windows, blow the rear FF in and the front FF out and all is good.

However, my trailer is 28' and already had 2 vent openings cut in. IMHO I think this is a good thing for longer trailers, but I don't think it is necessary for a 22' as there is less air volume to move. I would be especially hesitant since you would have to cut a new hole or modify your existing skylight.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My 2014 FC 20' came with two FF's as standard, both with 'out only' capability. I changed the switches and wiring so they could do both 'in' and 'out'. Cost about $40 from FF for the two switches, and half a day's time to take them down and replace the switches (yes, I am slow)

I like the capability to move air in either direction with either fan. No real opinion as to if two FF's are needed in a 20' trailer, but they are nice to have.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The key to comfort ventilation is having the right amount of airflow.

Bottom line up front, as the military folks say, you only need a second fan blowing air in if you want airflow with windows closed. But, opening a window at the far end of the trailer from your fan will accomplish the same thing, a lot cheaper.

ASHRAE standards for indoor air quality call for 1.5 cfm per square foot of floor space for an auto repair shop where engines run indoors. For commercial kitchens, it's only 0.7 cfm per square foot. Residential living spaces call for even less, about 0.35 cfm for whole-house ventilation.

For example, my Airstream Interstate has a MaxxFan Deluxe, that has a maximum flow rate of about 900 cfm (cubic feet per minute). The floor space in my Interstate is tiny, only about 18 ft long × 6 ft wide, or 108 square feet. Rounding off, that's about 9 cfm per square foot.

That means my one dinky fan— if I run it full blast with all the windows open to provide as much air coming in as going out— is about six times more powerful than I will ever need to keep the air quality up. The numbers pretty much match my experience, since for the 10-speed fan, I normally run it at setting 2 or 3 at most.

Indoor air quality is not cooling. It just means the air doesn't get stale, and there's no appreciable condensation. I submit that, if you're circulating enough air to exceed ASHRAE requirements, you'll create enough of a breeze to be comfortable. But don't mistake fans for air conditioning. Fans move air, and moving air feels cooler, but the actual temperature doesn't change enough to matter. So if you're looking for cooling from fans alone, you'll never have enough.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
I put in two bidirectional Fantastic Vent Fans in my 1972 27' International
Model 6000 RBTA 3 speed bidirectional, with thermostat and rain sensor.

They have been great! We have traveled in the west in summer and by pulling air in the back and out the front we can really cool the trailer well.

the thermostat feature is nice as it can be set to come on only when the trailer get too hot.

Not sure about fitting in a new trailer where there is a skylight, I replaced old original vents that just needed the hole squared off.

If you can find a way to install 2 I highly recommend it.

Steve
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I have the unidirectional (out only) I've found that both open, one on, one off is very effective in moving air through the trailer. If I want to cool off the living area I turn on the fan in the bedroom. No fan noise at the lounge and a nice breeze.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have 2 bidectional in my 61 tradewind, one in the kitchen area and one in the bed area. Turn them on and open only the windows in the area you are sitting and you get an impressive breeze. I use the one in the sleeping area blowing in at night and let the thermostat shut it down as the trailer cools.
I don't have the rain sensors.
They are a good product, particularly if you boondock a lot
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We loose the front (or second) fantastic fan with the factory installed second A/C. I was glad to hear about a variable speed reversible motor for the fantastic fan. I will check into that as another option to retrofit to the new trailer.

I will double check what is in the existing trailer when I return to that storage area to see which upgrade path to follow.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I installed two bi-directional 3-speed Fantastic Fans (with rain sensors) in my 25 ft Safari. The work very well to move air and to bring the inside temperature down after it has been closed up. The breeze is nice and you can, as others have said, adjust which fan blows in, and which one sucks out the air, or just use one for a vent while the other does the work. But I would keep in mind what Protag said, it is cheaper to just open an opposing window to get the cross flow ventilation that you desire. Not sure about your question regarding the opening size of your existing vent. If you are looking for another fan, I saved big by going to Vintage Trailer Supply, versus a local dealer.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The downside of inside

Fans don't cool the Air - Yes they do in some circumstances. If you're traveling in hot weather it's easy for your Airstream to heat up to 95 or higher. You pull over to a nice shaded space, open the door and pass out if you can't grope your way to the fan and switch it on. It will only cool down to the temperature of the outside air, but that's often better than the air in a closed up unit with no hookups.

I have two fans that only blow out - my prior coach had the bedroom one set as bi-directional and one night after boondocking for about a week I got out of bed, used the john, flushed and about gagged as the gases from the vent stack were sucked right into the adjoining bedroom. Turn the fan off or OUT before using the "oval office", wait a few minutes, then turn back on. Patrick Botticelli at Colonial mentioned that there was also the possibility that one could suck in propane fumes if your tanks/regulator had a leak or if you'd been cooking on the stovetop. An ounce of common sense?

I'm planning to make both of mine bi directional, but I agree you can easily open one and have it set not to run, and then use the other to exhaust - and get a nice breeze through the unit without fan noise right over your head.

In short, bi directional is not a necessity especially in a small coach, but if you want it, why not?

Paula
Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have two bi-directional Fantastic Vent fans with 3 speeds, thermostats, and rain sensors in my 25'er. This setup has the most flexibility of any venting system I have ever used. It definitely is the best fan setup I have ever had.

The only negative I have experienced is when there is a heavy dew and the temperature has cooled enough to turn the fan off. The dampness on the rain sensor will sometimes causes the cover to open and close in a cycle that is annoying in the early morning when I'm trying to sleep.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Security

I have a 31' ASCL with two each 3 speed Fantastic fans with temperature and rain sensors plus the bathroom vent fan. When I am parked in an unsecure area (truck stop; rest stop), and it is cool enough that the AC is not needed, I vent both Fantastic fans inward and open the bathroom vent (lid only) for exhaust which allows all windows to remain locked. That being said, all it takes is a prying screw driver under a window to shatter it; but that's a previous post.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Another option is the "portable" fantastic breeze fan that you can simply plug in to your 12vdc Socket.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
The industry code compliance changed in 2005 for OEM installed RV fans. The fans are only allowed to exhaust out because of the possibility of taking in fumes from the LP refrigerator vent, grey tank vent stack and black tank vent stack.

Prior to 2005 the vans could exhaust or intake. An aftermarket Fantastic 6000 series fan will come standard with exhaust and intake.