Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2003, 12:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Fantastic Fan or Air Conditioning???

We use our '67 Safari quite a bit,and last year found there were some days when some sort of air conditioning would have been nice.Not so much for us,but also because we sometimes have to leave our 2 dogs in the trailer for a few hours at a time.I met a couple last year who had an early 70's Airstream and they traveled with cats.They used their Fantastic Fan almost exclusively to cool their interior air.

I love the profile of my trailer and prefer to NOT put an A/C box on top,if it can be helped.I am trying to decide if installing a Fantastic Fan will suffice.

Can any Fantastic Fan users out there comment on how well theirs works?If I installed one,could I then get away without needing an A/C?How loud is it?And how much cooling does it provide?

Really appreciate any feedback that can be provided here.Thanks!
Charcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:17 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I have both on my Bambi. The Fantastic Fan works really well to circulate air, either in or out. I have the rain sensor model which is great, no worries about leaving the fan going while away. But, as for cooling, remember that is is basically just circulating air, and creating a slight breeze. It is not chilled air as with an air conditioner. On very hot days, say over 90 degrees, I don't think the fan would be enough cooling to leave dogs inside. During the summer here in southern California, temperatures can be well into the 90's, even in the mountains, and of course over 100 in the desert. Having an air conditioner really helps maintain comfort in the Bambi.

Also, you asked how loud is the fan, it is very quiet, even when set on the highest spped. It really is a high quality product.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:19 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Fantastic Fans

I have two Fantastic Fans, both with rain sensors and thermostatic controls, one at each end of the trailer.

I set the one in the galley to blow in and the one in the bedroom to exhaust. With that setup, I can go pretty far into hot weather with just the fans. I use them this way when I'm working in the trailer and it stays pretty cool.

With your location, you can probably get by with just the fans. In Texas. I can't.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
My guess is it depends on where you travel. Here in CO, with most of our trips in the mountains, we don't need A/C. We just use our "retro-fantastic fan"

Shari
Attached Images

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
the fans are great but when it gets hot only ac will do. as perviously noted they only move air , if it is 90 outside it is almost 90 inside. in canada probably dont need much ac. if you come to the lower part of the us best bring ac of park next to a motel and abandon the AS. ALABAMA IN AUGUST WILL SEND YOU PACKING WITH THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY.
AL
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fantastic Fan or Air Conditioning???

I have been traveling with one or two Chihuahuas in my '64 Overlander for a number of years, and originally had a pair of Fantastic Vent Fans with Rain Sensors installed for the comfort of my Animals during the WBCCI International Rally. I have air conditioning as well, but that is a near necessity in the Mississippi River Valley in the Midwest.

The actual cooling that is noticed is relative to the location. If the location is in an area where there is both heat and humidity, it will still be uncomfortably warm with the Fantastic Vents. If the location is in an area where there is mimimal humidity, the Fantastic Vents are actually quite effective. There is always a nice, cooling breeze flowing through the trailer when they are in operation - - I usually set one on intake and the other on exhaust.

I was quite pleased with the effectiveness of my Fantastic Vents at Bismarck, ND; Sioux Falls, SD; and at Custer, SD. They were just barely adequate most of the time at Rapid City, SD; and they only helped well after sundown in Dayton, OH. The only time that I really use them outside of when at the International rally is when I am on a Caravan or at a Rally where 30 AMP electrical is available - - the rest of the time, my Coleman air conditioner is kept busy.

Good luck with your decision.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Hi- I spent last summer in Revelstoke and with the awning out and the fans on, I didn't need the AC and definitely didn't need it at night. Matter of fact, I had to turn on the heater a couple of mornings.

With the low humidity levels in BC, AC wouldn't be a must, but if you go to the lower 48 and get into some humid areas, you'll sure wish you had it!

So I guess it boils down to where you're going to be camping.

My 2 cents-John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 05:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I have a Fan Tastic Fan in the lounge area which is not at all annoying when it is running. I still need the A/C June, July and August during the day. I'm talking north of the 55th parallel in Thompson Manitoba.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:51 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Pahaska:

Why have one fan blow in and another fan blow out? I'm no mechanical engineer, but wouldn't one fan and one open vent do the same thing? You can't blow air in or out without the equal but opposite reaction at the open vent, no?

Just curious... (I don't have a Fantastic Fan - yet...)
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:31 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
One in and one out

With the fans at the opposite ends of the trailer, there is a great air movement throughout. A lot better than I get by opening windows and having them both blow out. The one blowing in drives the airflow clear down to the floor.

We have the one over the bed blow out. That way there is no draft directly down on us. When it cools off at night, that one is set to shut down first.

Also, we can shut the curtains at night for privacy and still have good airflow.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Gordon,

Being from hot and humid FL, I found that having all the awnings out and the windows open, it was comfortable without the AC on.

Just sitting under the awning outside, I could feel how the air was cooler. But if I was from this area and it got up to 35C, I too would want AC.

I guess my only point is that it cooled down everynight and that's when I really find the need for AC to be most important.

John

p.s. I did notice a # of Canadians w/o AC on their rigs.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:04 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

John:

You are right.

The temps can climb to +40C but usually around 28C during the day. Thunder storms at night which means I have to work the next day putting out the fires that start up.

To sit outside, you need a gazebo or an enclosed awning type thing to keep the bugs at bay.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Bush fires

Gordon,

So you're a firefighter for the forest service during the summer? I too was a firefighter back in the late 70's & early 80's.

Brush/bush fires IMHO, are the toughest and most taxing on a persons body. After spending 3-4 days straight fighting these fires, a hot shower & a bed was the only thing that was on my mind.

John
Old 01-21-2003, 11:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
We also have two Fantastic Vents and use them as John described when we want the windows closed and locked for security.

Two fans move more air than one, especially if you want to keep the speeds lower to keep them quieter. If one fan is off you can see the other turning the blades of the one shut off... and that's resistance to airflow.

There are some times when it's hot enough that a fan just makes you feel like you're in a blast furnace, especially if the humidity is high. And there's no substitute for an AC, which removes moisture from the air, when it comes to hot and humid.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:45 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
five tons of fun

with my wife's allergies there is no choice, ac or no go!

when i am by my self i can take it or leave it.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:19 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Unhappy Another Solution

I like our thread starter, Didn't want to ruin the profile of my Caravel, so I opted for a portable airconditioner. I place it in the
shower pan of the little "Bathroom" and allow the condensate to drain freely into the shower drain. I have it vented through the rear window for which I created a "template" cover the window and lock out leaks. (painted silver of course) I being in the Midwest am in need of AC during those critical summer months.
Theres enough room to use the comode, and be it that it is on wheels - it is easily moved out for showers. Its portability makes it easy to remove from the camper during the non scorcher seasons.

My final plan maybe to mount it into one of the wardrobe closets and vent it through the floor. maybe ... someday ..... maybe not.
but I have added function ... without destroying my trailers originality.

Small space ... works well ... I think its 8000 btu's

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote