Old 08-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I Have a 2005 CCD with 2 fans. Originally both would close with rain, and both would reopen when the sensor dried. One fan developed a broken `collar' which leaked water. I had it replaced.

Unfortunately the new model will not reopen, as mentioned previously. You must manually hit the `close' side of the open/close switch. It appears to close the last 1/4". Then you must manually hit the `open' side of that switch to open it.

At Doswell I mentioned this to a rep. of the group that now owns all of the various support companies (Dometic, Fantastic, furnace maker, etc.). He said `nonsense', it should reopen. I'm not sure he knows what he is talking about, as I have talked to fan people, some who say they won't open and others that say they will. At a Tech Talk session the leader said he never has had fans that ever reopened. Confusion still reigns on this issue for me. I think I'll try to take the guts out of the old one and replace into the new collar. I'm betting I can't do this.

Oh, to control how little rain will close the vents, you can get the large `rain guards', I can't recall the official name. With these things it takes a monsoon to close the vents, so you can still get cooling air without getting wet if the rain is modest.

Shads Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
"Ultrabreeze" fan covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
My Airstream had the original semi-automatic fans installed in 1997. Two years ago I upgraded both to wireless remote operation with the kit sold on Amazon. I looks similar but without the extra controls on the unit. All it has is the hand crank and fuse. Operation is with the remote which was suppose to have 12 speeds but mine only has 3. The rain sensors are overly active and shut down at first drop of rain or heavy due. Only way I can shut off the red light is to remove the fuse or use the 12v kill switch near the door.

Overall I am very happy but need to install exterior covers so they can still operate in the rain with inside circulation.
Even after you install the covers the fans will shut down and close when you need them most at the slightest hint of moisture. Unplug the rain sensor. Takes about 5/10 minutes to do. The 2 tiny black wires going to the control panel unplug and no more problem. I did this in both of our Airstreams. It has to be raining really hard and the wind blowing just right to have any water droplets come in on the screen. When you purchase the "Ultrabreeze" covers get the optional bug screen. Separate piece and is about $10. I suggest the "Ultrabreeze" covers as they allow the fan door to fully open. They are made by the fan manufacturer. Happy travels and stay dry.

uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:45 AM   #23
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
Thanks for all the comments on the video. It ain't gonna win an Oscar, but I'm glad it's useful.

I put covers on both my vents as one of my first modifications to the trailer. I've always been happy with that decision because it reduced the amount of worry and meant I didn't need to decipher the fan controls.

I chat about that decision and a few other "so I don't break something" choices here:

https://youtu.be/giw4uMKFqDU
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Yet again, another nice video. I've been reluctant to drill holes on the inside of our trailer, so I've stayed with double stick and velcro to affix things to the walls. For example, my wife hated where the toilet paper holder was inside a cabinet, so i found a simple holder with 3M double stick to put on the wall directly in front of the toilet. I just can't seem to bring myself to drilling holes.

Some of the other types of holders that you have in the bathroom and kitchen look great. Were they permanently mounted or were they stuck on?
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I'll admit I've only had experience with a Maxxfan. But after all the comments about rain sensor problems and adding rain covers, I'm glad for the peace of mind the Maxxfan offers.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
And those 'covers' look so kool on the roof of the aluminum tube....😂
DW sez..Butt ugly.
TETO

"NOTE: Fan-Tastic Vent does not recommend placing a vent cover over, or using a foam filter on your Fan-Tastic Vent. This greatly restricts airflow, causing accumulation of dust and increased sound levels".

As far as operation...the only problem we have had... a stiff neck.
The switches are labeled....I read the manual as O=off

"Recommendations: You may use your Fan-Tastic Vent while driving or in windy conditions. In this case keep your dome fully open. When storing your Motorhome, lower the dome until it is completely closed and turn the 3 speed knob to 0-Off. Do not leave fan in active mode while coach is stored or unattended for extended periods of time - high wind, other unusual conditions or obstructions may prevent closing, resulting in leakage that could cause serious damage!"

I clean the rain sensor with a microfiber cloth and Brakleen...SFSG

I have had to replace a worn lift arm...we now carry a spare.

Bob
🇺🇸

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you can’t."
Amanamus

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
FF vent covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
And those 'covers' look so kool on the roof of the aluminum tube....😂
DW sez..Butt ugly.
TETO

"NOTE: Fan-Tastic Vent does not recommend placing a vent cover over, or using a foam filter on your Fan-Tastic Vent. This greatly restricts airflow, causing accumulation of dust and increased sound levels".

As far as operation...the only problem we have had... a stiff neck.
The switches are labeled....I read the manual as O=off

"Recommendations: You may use your Fan-Tastic Vent while driving or in windy conditions. In this case keep your dome fully open. When storing your Motorhome, lower the dome until it is completely closed and turn the 3 speed knob to 0-Off. Do not leave fan in active mode while coach is stored or unattended for extended periods of time - high wind, other unusual conditions or obstructions may prevent closing, resulting in leakage that could cause serious damage!"

I clean the rain sensor with a microfiber cloth and Brakleen...SFSG

Bob
🇺🇸
Same company that makes FF also makes the "Ultrabreeze" covers for them. Honestly, I never read the Fantastic Fan booklet that came with our Airstream so your quote may indeed be in the booklet but I find it kind of odd that they would recommend not using a cover and then manufacturing one just to fit there fan. They do recommend using only the "Ultrabreeze" cover as it allows the fan lid to fully open unlike SOB covers. I have the "Ultrabreeze" covers on both fans on our FC 25 and certainly don't detect a restriction of airflow. The recommendation came straight from Fantastic Fan when I called them about how to disconnect the overly sensitive rain sensors. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder concerning the appearance of the covers on the roof. We certainly don't mind the look. Even if we did we would have them because it makes the fans much more usable. We can leave the fan lid up and leave for the day and not worry about rain coming in if it does rain while we are away. It has to be raining really hard and the wind blowing just right to have any water droplets on the fan screen.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:49 AM   #28
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
Yet again, another nice video. I've been reluctant to drill holes on the inside of our trailer, so I've stayed with double stick and velcro to affix things to the walls. For example, my wife hated where the toilet paper holder was inside a cabinet, so i found a simple holder with 3M double stick to put on the wall directly in front of the toilet. I just can't seem to bring myself to drilling holes.

Some of the other types of holders that you have in the bathroom and kitchen look great. Were they permanently mounted or were they stuck on?

Thanks. Sounds like you might be referring to this video instead?

https://youtu.be/giw4uMKFqDU

Almost everything in my trailer is mounted with VHB tape (or Command adhesive if that came with whatever I bought). I ALWAYS try that first before getting out the drill.

If you end up drilling, it's nice to remember that 1) holes in wood are actually quite easy to fill and hide ... 2) holes in aluminum can be filled with a rivet. Still, when I do feel I need to drill, I try to screw into an existing rivet hole as my first option!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
Old 08-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I was referring too your second video. Glad to see you're using tape whenever possible, but good tip on finding a rivet hole to drill into, if you must.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
I'll add my two cents to the discussion. The Fantastic fan can be opened manually. They also sometimes need to be opened manually if there is a lot of condensation in the camper. The rain sensor will not let the fan operate, once the sensor dries up it will start operating normally.
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #31
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I was referring too your second video. Glad to see you're using tape whenever possible, but good tip on finding a rivet hole to drill into, if you must.
No worries... I'm just glad you found it entertaining/useful!

I'm pretty much allergic to new holes in the trailer (but I make an exception here and there..). Adhesives these days are pretty impressive!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
Old 08-09-2019, 12:17 AM   #32

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
����
And in some cases the replacement lift arm unit that you are instructed to buy by their support folks cannot be used with the existing motor on your fan. I called when i could not raise or lower the lid. Person answering my call gave me the model number of the replacement arm. I ordered it and found the female collar on the replacement arm that slipped over spline on the original motor didn't fit. Called Atwood and told them, and this person says "why of course it won't fit. You also have to order a new motor along with the rod!" Low cost arm replacement became expensive since you have to buy an expensive motor. Apparently they don't have matching parts for all the vintages of fans and you end up having to replace multiple parts even though only one part is bad. And better yet they don't sell it as a kit. All individual pieces. So you are at the mercy of the support person who may or may not tell you that the part they are telling you to buy won't mate up with the part it has to connect to.

A sad state on how Atwood screwed up what was once a great product.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:12 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
That was a great video!

Those fans, they have been a mystery to me, too.

Very helpful. I learned plenty.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
Thanks for the great video.

We are about to purchase the 2nd highest Fantastic Fan for our Argosy (not interested in a remote)- this really is a great demonstration of all the features.

Shawn
Argosy man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #35
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
And in some cases the replacement lift arm unit that you are instructed to buy by their support folks cannot be used with the existing motor on your fan. I called when i could not raise or lower the lid. Person answering my call gave me the model number of the replacement arm. I ordered it and found the female collar on the replacement arm that slipped over spline on the original motor didn't fit. Called Atwood and told them, and this person says "why of course it won't fit. You also have to order a new motor along with the rod!" Low cost arm replacement became expensive since you have to buy an expensive motor. Apparently they don't have matching parts for all the vintages of fans and you end up having to replace multiple parts even though only one part is bad. And better yet they don't sell it as a kit. All individual pieces. So you are at the mercy of the support person who may or may not tell you that the part they are telling you to buy won't mate up with the part it has to connect to.

A sad state on how Atwood screwed up what was once a great product.

Jack
Jack,

This is the replacement I purchased from Azon for our '03.👍
I carry a spare.🤓

Bob
🇺🇸

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you can’t."
Amanamus

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote