Old 01-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
Fantastic Fan install question

I have decided to attempt the install of two FFs in my Sovereign. I plan on putting one at each end. The problem is the vent at the front, which currently is a basic vent with no fan or light. There is no light within several feet of the vent...therefore I am afraid I am going to get in the middle of the job and not be able to find any wires for my FF. My electrical IQ is near zero so any advice will be much appreciated.
Tom

Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
What kind of lights do you have. In my 83 Excella, the lights are in the lower vent covers on all three vents, two fluorescent tubes on either side of the vent itself.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
Vaughan,
On my 86 Sovereign I don't have any flourescent lights. I have several of the standard ceiling lights with the #1141 bulbs and the square plastic covers. The nearest one to the vent in question is about 3 feet toward the galley. I'm thinking I may have to fish some wires over from that light to hook up to. The control panel is located at the very front of the Airstream less than two feet from the vent. Maybe there are some wires I can use from there. There is no light (or fan) in the vent opening itself.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I have completed this project in my trailer. The ground wire from the fan can be attached to the trailer skins, a rib in handy place near the fan, etc. and does not have to go to the source. You will need to fish a wire for the positive connection. The light was the handiest for me. That shouldn't be a big deal, a stiff wire or electrical fish tape will help you get a wire to the right place.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign86 View Post
Vaughan,
On my 86 Sovereign I don't have any flourescent lights. I have several of the standard ceiling lights with the #1141 bulbs and the square plastic covers. The nearest one to the vent in question is about 3 feet toward the galley. I'm thinking I may have to fish some wires over from that light to hook up to. The control panel is located at the very front of the Airstream less than two feet from the vent. Maybe there are some wires I can use from there. There is no light (or fan) in the vent opening itself.
I am surprised that your newer trailer has those. Maybe it's a Sovereign vs Excella thing. In my case, to install a Fantastic Fan, I will have to come up with alternate lighting. It's on the list.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I put in a Elixir fan with lights in two locations. They are not as good as a fantastic fan but they look good and let in light and have lights attached.
I put two Elixer fans in and one fantastic fan. For my 27' Overlander the one fantastic fan works great. The two fans with lights which are less expensive do not pull as well as a fantastic fan but with all three fans going you get a great breeze. I really like how the lights work and how the fans look. They really let tons of outside light in. One fantastic fan is all you need. I think more than that is over kill.
Check this link out. Youtube putting in a fantastic fan
YouTube - Airstream Restoration - 04-2 Vent Fans

Lothlorian

Old 02-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
That looks too easy!

I would like to see some pictures of some finished installs. I have A 72 sov. with the lights around the original vents. I want new fans but dont want to give up the lights. Has any one done this and kept the lights?