Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2004, 09:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneon
.......Anybody care to share their experience with and recommendations for these options? What do you have, and would you buy the same thing again?
Bob:

I chose the clear dome......most of the time the MH is parked under cover (with the blinks closed). Several owners with the smoked dome suggested I would be unhappy with the amount of heat transferred through a clear dome. - Remember, I am in the deep south.

The increased light was more important to me than the increased heat. I rationalized that I could always install some sort of a opaque cover over it should the heat become a real problem.

I think I would again go with the clear, but light is always an issue for me when working in the interior. I do not think it would be hard to change out the dome should you be unhappy with your choice, but, again, I have more versatility with the clear (by covering with an darker, opaque, or insulated cover) than I would have had with a darker dome.

- Somebody's sig line here on the Forum says the memory is the first thing to go, I don't remember if that is correct or not, but I do know that loss of eyesight ranks right up there with memory as far as age related losses. -- I will not discuss other "things" that do not work nearly as well as they did 20 years ago. Suffice it to say that the increased light helps a bit with the eyesight - doesn't help a lick with (for) the other "things".

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 02:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Use the supplied foam gasket or not?

The fantastic fans I bought came with a foam gasket for installing them. Is is a good idea to use the gasket or to toss it and install with a good bead of Vulkem instead?

Thanks,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #23
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have done it both ways.

It depended for me on the condition of the roof sheet. If it was good and smooth, I just used Vulcem. If it was more uneven I bed the gasket in the vulcem and then run the screws in. I finish both with a a generous bead at the joint once it is fastened down and use my finger to push it in and smooth on all 4 sides. I also pot the screw heads with a dab of vulcem to seal from the top.

I have not had one leak yet.

Be careful when you enlarge the hole! The main wire loom run alongside the vent openings and it is easy to get into the wires.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

I had (2) FF's on my previous 5r with wall mounted thermostats , rain sensor and because I didn't trust rain sensor I put the covers over the vents so if they stuck in open position, I was still dry. My question is : I would like to replace the existing fans in my AS (88 34' Limited)with FF's. What if anything do I have to do to the light fixtures? I would like to utilize the existing fixture. Also, has anyone installed the vent covers and if so was any flashing strips available for the shape of an AS roof?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
The gear stripped on my fantastic. I called the factory and told them what I needed. The sent me a complete repair package at no cost. Fantastic people are fantastic in my book. I have had a similar experience with the folks at PacBrake. Its hard to find a quality product that the company stands behind these two products are well made and well serviced. My advice is if you are having trouble with your fantastic call the company and they will put you on the right track.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
GA Pockets,
If you're replacing fans then there ought to be wiring there for Fantastic Vents. You shouldn't need to do anything to your lights. Or, am I not understanding the question? Also, you can order the Airstream trim kit, but the way they come requires you to shave them down to actually match the slight curvature. On your '88 the roof may be flat enough to not need the AS trim kit. For instance, on my '66 I shaved the trim down to the point that they were not that much different from the regular trim kit, and the roof on a '66 is considerably more curved than on a '88. Still, if you order the AS trim kit, I found that the fastest and most accurate way to shave the trim was with a small carpenter's plane.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
I want to replace my current fans with the new Maxxfan. I think it's cool that the Fantastic fan closes automatically when the rain starts but then the air circulation stops. Doesn't make sense to me. I like the idea of being able to use the fans when it's raining. I think the maxxfan is a better solution, who knows, maybe Airstream might come to the same conclusion and start putting maxxfans in their coaches. Check it out... P.S. has anyone installed one of these, if so how do they like it? http://www.maxxair.com/products/MaxxFan.aspx
basecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
quite a price difference between the two.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
GA Pockets,
Also, you can order the Airstream trim kit, but the way they come requires you to shave them down to actually match the slight curvature... For instance, on my '66 I shaved the trim down to the point that they were not that much different from the regular trim kit
When I ordered mine from Fanstastic Vent they asked what year coach I had. They said they have two different trim kits, one for the earler, more rounded ceiling, and one for the later ceilings.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:18 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

The FF's on my 5'r were controlled by a wall mounted thermostat, however fan speed etc were controlled by rocker switches and a knob. It seems that the Original light fixture would have to be removed to change speeds etc. and I was wondering what other people had done.