Old 09-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2005 19' International CCD
Belmont , California
Well my wife is too short to reach this so I need to understand it.
I did call their support and yes you were correct they were very helpful. I had found that the rocker switch was for the automatic open/close when you turn the fan on. Reason it did not work was because the motor to activate the door opening had sheared the pin (on one side) to allow it to use the motor to open/close. I could still open using the manual position. I just tapped the pin outwards enough and now it works. Apparently, now you when you buy the upgrade kit for the reverse option it includes the motor. So the price is now more like $50. Support said you cannot just purchase the pin, have to buy the motor. I have to decide if I want to spend $50 just to have the reverse option. Not sure yet how often I will want air to be forced in rather than forcing out.

djpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Kit still available without motor

There is a kit without the motor for reverse. This is a recent note from Fantastic and I bought one for my AS:

Larry: Please call 800-521-0298 to order PN 9001-09 @ $12.05 plus $12.95 shipping.

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by djpierce View Post
Well my wife is too short to reach this so I need to understand it.
Get her something to stand on so you can relax and engage in mindless activities.

What I find dumb about the controls besides the difficulty reading what each does (since I forget what they do quickly), is that some things seem to require a couple of switches to be switched before they work and other things don't. The temperature knob is set so it has no effect—one less thing to bother with.

I wanted to get the remote, but you have to buy lots of stuff for it to work and it cost too much—at least if I had a remote I wouldn't have to look up into the bright sky trying to read what the switches say. I'm sure many of you think the fan is simple to use, so I must be too old for these things, pre-senile or I just don't care that much. I showed my wife what I knew and she took it from there, though I can use the on/off switch pretty well. And I did re-wire one of them to reverse the fan. I'm not ready for the rest home quite yet.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
It would be even harder to remember what does what, if the rocker switches were the same size (fortunately, they are not). I can't possibly tilt my head back far enough to be able to read the icons and what-nots through the bi-focal of my glasses. LOL.

So, having just recently hooked up my fans to power, and getting used to using them, I'm just memorizing that the little rocker opens and closes....the big rocker determines direction of flow. As for the temp dial....I'll deal with that when the fan fails to operate as expected because it is set too cool or too warm.

So far, so good. But we have yet to receive enough rain to activate the auto-close feature....I'm waiting for that....
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Just a quick note to advise that Atwood Mobile is still providing free Fantastic Fan replacement parts, like the original owners did. Contact info appears below:

Note: Extracted from FanTastic Vent - Contact Us.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote