Old 04-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Fantastic Fan Cover Stuck - Won't Open

When I try opening the Fantastic Fan cover (automatically or manually) it seems to be stuck in the down position. I can hear the whirring noise, like it's trying to ope, but it stays down.

When I try to open it manually, the knob will turn a bit, but again, the cover stays down.

Obviously, it'stuck. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thank you.

ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Presume you have the type with the motorised openers?

We do, and I often encounter this problem when the trailer has been in storage for a long time - the gasket sticks to the lid and to the fan surround.

The first time I try to open ours after a log storage period, I just keep my hand on the operating knob and add a little torque to help it along when I hear the motor straining, and that has always done the trick!

I have hear that at some time (I guess when my fans were made) Fantastic had a problem with gasket composition that caused this problem and that if you call them, they will send you better gaskets free of charge.

Ive never bothered as my fix has always worked, once I get them open they are fine fr the rest of a trip!

If you do call them, maybe you could advise the rest of us if the info I had is correct! Maybe I'll fix mine too!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thank you Brian! Your recommended "fix" worked great. I guess I was hesitant to turn the knob too hard, afraid it would break.

Thank you again, always great to get a solution to a problem.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
when summmerizing today I noticed that the gaskets ont he two FF's sems to be off track. Sure enough after the exterior wash there was bit of moister on the floor.

So I first opened the FF's and while the front one opened fine, the rear one seemed to bind a bit and I had to manually open it. I re-attached the gaskets that had lifted up and were drooping down on the vent flashing. So much for those gripping edges of the gasket...sure didn't seem to hold it that tight in the groove. It still seemed to bind so I laid a bead of WD-40 across the hinges which are on the forward edge figuring rain and road grime was limiting the hinge action. No luck. Since I was planning on silocone'g the window seals, what the heck, I'll do the FF gaskets too. After a few more manual attempts, all seemed to break loose. Not sure if it was the silicone seal application or the WD 40 on the hinges, or a combo but all is a go now.

I'll add the FF gaskets to the windows seal maintenance program.

Bob