Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Fantastic Fan automatic lift disengages to manual

I have two Fantastic Fans on my 2000 Airstream Safari. One of them has developed a problem that I would like your advice on how to repair.

The problem is: the knob when in automatic open/close mode, will disengage occasionally. As it opens automatically the knob pushes itself down slightly. When the lid returns to the closed position the knob moves further down as the motor torques at near closing. The knob is sometimes pushed downward into manual open/close mode. When it does this the motor continues to run.

I replaced the entire motor/drive mechanism with a new one.
I replaced the old lift arm with a new one.
I replaced the old lid with a new one.

Do you have any suggestion what I should try next? I'm stumped!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
^^^ anyone have this problem ^^^
Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I had a similar issue. Replacing the knob assembly solved it.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Never had that problem - but sometimes in high humidity areas near the ocean, the gasket gets sticky and the fan lid tends to stick, stalling the motor. You hear it happening and can hand crank the cover up and down a couple of times til it pops loose. I suppose if you do that often enough, the gear could wear and you might get that sort of droop.

I'd call Fantastic and ask them what to do... They may still send you the parts for free.

BTW I lubricate the gasket with the same stuff I use on the windows - a 100% silicone lube - or Aerospace 303 Protectant.

Paula
Old 08-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
I've had the same problem sometimes as described by Foiled Again. Usually if I get up on top, when the lids are open, and clean the inside of the lid, and the gasket. I use something like Windex.
A fter it's dry, I dust the lid and the gasket with talcum powder. This takes care of the problem for a couple months.

Good luck
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I have a 2006 Safari and while the Fantastic folk were very nice, I didn't get a replacement for free. I think it was around $50 including shipping. The new model doesn't disengage for the manual cranking, you just turn the knob slowly (against the motor) to open or close. The advantage is that it doesn't drop out of gear. It includes the motor, knob, crank cover (they will ask if you want white or off-white) and the retracting arm.
It took about 10 days from phone call to delivery, got it this past week.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I had a problem with the fan in the bedroom. I got new parts from Fantastic Fan. I had more problems. I called them and they walked me through it. Works fine now. Call them, it can't hurt.
Jim
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Thanks everyone!

I have been corresponding with Fantastic (Atwood) service by email. They suggested that I install a new lift kit. I did that yesterday, but it did not resolve the issue. I'm awaiting a third response. I'll wait and see what the next response is, then call I'll if I don't get it figured out.

Re the fan lid sticking; every time I clean the fan, usually twice per year, I wipe the rubber seal down. I've not had a problem with a sticking lid.