Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
2007 25' International CCD
Fort Worth , Texas
Fantastic fan anyone?

I am considering installing a fantastic fan in my 70 safari to replace what i think is the original roof fan. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. We boondock often and like the idea of being able to move more air.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
do it

You will love it. I recommend the opaque grey color lid (Vintage Supply) to cut down the excessive light from entering. Put it in he area furthest from the planned inlet of air (the door?) to get max air flow. Caulk it in well.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Agreed!

I agree. Fantastic Fans are. . . . well, fantastic! Move a bunch of air with very low noise level and not much 12 V current drain.

You will probably find that you will have to trim out the roof opening a skosh larger (quarter of an inch, maybe), particularly at the corners, for the Fantastic Fan to fit. No big deal. I would recommend caulking with Vulkem, also available from Vintage Trailer Supply.

I have been told that Fantastic Fan can supply an inner trim piece specifically for the slightly curved ceilings of Airstreams, but I didn't use one when I put a Fantastic Fan in our 1960 Pacer.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I got three of them from vintage Trailer Supply - I believe they are the only ones to handle the model with the Grey hatch cover (to match the alum), and the interior trim comes with the radius for the ceiling if you order it that way....

they are easy to install - we only had to trim the radius corners to make em' fit....

We installed the model with the thermostat in the rear, so it will move some air during the heat of the day, even if we're not around...

The other two are manual type fans...I personally think the auto close and remote models are kind of an 'overkill'...IMHO...

We love em', and if you really want to move some air, turn on all three of those 'suckers', open a couple of windows, and enjoy the breeze!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
You will love it. I recommend the opaque grey color lid (Vintage Supply) to cut down the excessive light from entering. Put it in he area furthest from the planned inlet of air (the door?) to get max air flow. Caulk it in well.
I installed one of these recently.

There has been discussion of FFs in Terry's (overlander63) http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...-32395-66.html thread starting with his post #915 with photos. He installed one with the smoke domed lid.

There are photos of my install with the flat opaque gray lid at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...-32395-67.html post #927. It also has the auto close option, and I would not be without it. I left it on today because it was unseasonably cool, high 80s, and didn't have to worry about a passing shower getting the bed wet. Leaving it open without the close function would not be an option.

Features of both designs as well as lighting options are also discussed.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
I installed one of these recently.

There has been discussion of FFs in Terry's (overlander63) http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...-32395-66.html thread starting with his post #915 with photos. He installed one with the smoke domed lid.

There are photos of my install with the flat opaque gray lid at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...-32395-67.html post #927. It also has the auto close option, and I would not be without it. I left it on today because it was unseasonably cool, high 80s, and didn't have to worry about a passing shower getting the bed wet. Leaving it open without the close function would not be an option.

Features of both designs as well as lighting options are also discussed.
Vaughan, I actually installed three Fantastics with the smoke lids.
There is also an article in the articles section of the forums:
A Fantastic Story
Old 07-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I have two of them in my 67.
Love them, purchased them from VTS with the gray lids.
Install is not that difficult.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Fantastic Fans

We have two on our '56 Safari and one on our '64 GlobeTrotter. On the GT, we have the smoke lid (they didn't make the gray ones then) - we had it installed at the International Rally 4 years ago - love it, moves the air well. We installed the two in the Safari with the gray lids from VTS ourselves - love these even more. The lid looks more vintage and it also blocks out pesky lights at night - not an issue when boondocking, but it is at some campgrounds and other "overnight stops". We plan on replacing the smoke lid one with a grey lid next spring...unfortunately, the design of the fan itself is different, so the whole thing has to be replaced, not just the lid.

All of ours have the rain sensor feature - which I have mixed reviews on. If you leave it on at night and there is a heavy dew or fog, the fan can open and close off and on all night. It's quiet, but not that quiet - I hear it opening & closing. The sensor can be turned off, but then if it does actually rain, you're out of luck - or out of bed to manually close it. No biggie, the benefit out-weighs the hassle, but it is slightly annoying.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fantastic fan anyone?

Count me as another highly satisfied Fantastic Vent owner. My Overlander received its pair of Fantastic Vents at the WBCCI International Rally in Boise, ID in 1998 -- both have thermostat and rain sensor. They are among the accessories that I wouldn't want to do without -- and -- Fantastic Vent provides excellent support for their products. A storm caught the cover on one of my vents and snapped two parts in the lift arm mechanisms -- new replacement parts were on the way from the factory after a simple call to customer service along with another new part to replace the an existing part that had been revised since my fan was manufactured -- all of this was at no expense to me for the parts.

Needless to say, my Minuet received its one Fantastic Vent at the WBCCI International Rally in Lansing Michigan. Unfortunately, the Minuet has only one ceiling vent (but one Fantastic Vent is better than none). With two Fantastic Vents, one can be set to intake and the other to exhaust creating a wonderful air exchange.

I am sure that you won't regret installing a Fantastic Vent!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Count me as well a firm believer in fantastic vents. I installed three in my Tradewind. Absolutely the best modification I have done!

'82 K20 Suburban 4spd
BMW K100RS, KTM 620SC
K7KIT
AIR #251
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
IMHO....The BEST fan available. Maybe there are more elaborate fans on the market, but none with better customer service. They have replaced one cracked cover,(poor factory installation), and a rain sensor, after four seasons of use. NO CHARGE.

The new pop-in screens are a welcome accessory, no screws to remove for cleaning. 20 bucks a pair.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:03 AM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I have to agree. As good as their products are, their customer service is even better.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
They move an amazing amount of air with little noise & fuss compared to most of the "stock" fans installed in trailers. We installed one in the bathroom of our last trailer, an Award, and our AS came with two of them.

The AS ones are the powered vent version with rain sensors. The one in teh bedroom has a remote control panel.

Truth to tell, I preferred the very simple manual controls one we had in our last trailer, although I am getting used to the controls on these more elaborate units.

The only problem I have encountered with the units in our AS is that the lids become stuck on the gaskets and wouldn't open after extended storage. I managed to force them open without damage, and then applied silicon to the gaskets so hopefully that will avoid a repeat problem.

You will certainly not regret buying the Fantastic fan IMHO.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just in the interest of letting you know there is something else out there, Maxx-Air makes comparable fans that many people are happy with. Lewster here on the forums is a Maxx-Air dealer, and Rich Luhr has a Maxx-Air fan in his Safari.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
How about the Shur-Flo fans?

Hi gang,

I want to swap out the three fans in my rig too. I was looking at the Fantastic Fans, but then saw a thing about the Shur-Flo fans (same guys that make water pumps). They look like a really nice product.

Have any of you tried one? How do they stack up against the Fantastic fans? How about against the Maxxair fans?

thanks,
Old 07-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Hi gang,

I want to swap out the three fans in my rig too. I was looking at the Fantastic Fans, but then saw a thing about the Shur-Flo fans (same guys that make water pumps). They look like a really nice product.

Have any of you tried one? How do they stack up against the Fantastic fans? How about against the Maxxair fans?

thanks,
I put one in. Then put another one in the same spot. Then another one. Then gave up and installed a Fantastic. I may have gotten them from a bad batch, but didn't want to take any more chances, and went with a known quantity.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Wow! That sure sounds crummy. Guess it'll be Fantastics for me

Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
The only problem I have encountered with the units in our AS is that the lids become stuck on the gaskets and wouldn't open after extended storage. I managed to force them open without damage, and then applied silicon to the gaskets so hopefully that will avoid a repeat problem.

You will certainly not regret buying the Fantastic fan IMHO.

Brian
Brian,

I've found that a thin coating of dielectric grease on the gasket lasts quite a bit longer than the sillykone. Great on the bulbs and most things that get stuck.
Permatex Dielectric Grease
Old 07-19-2009, 06:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Brian,

I've found that a thin coating of dielectric grease on the gasket lasts quite a bit longer than the sillykone. Great on the bulbs and most things that get stuck.
Permatex Dielectric Grease

Good idea, I'll try that next time!

I am a firm believer in the merit of dielectric grease and always use it when installing new bulbs and after cleaning up corroded spade connectors!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
One of the few good things the PO's did to my Airstream was swap out the old fan/light units for three fantastic fans.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote