Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
In my 27'er, I had the front and rear OE vents / fan replaced with Fantastic Vents, both with fans and rain sensors. The change is amazing. Turn one on blowing in and one blowing out and you'll be amazed. You can even go down the road with them open! I would have never thought to do this, but a factory rep. told me to give it a try because anything that broke would be replaced free. I must say that it's not a standard practice for me, but I did indeed try it. Kinda weird to see the lid flapping in the wind, but it didn't break in the about 150 miles that I left it that way.

I can't wait to go boondocking with the fans this year!
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
...<snip>.....

I take it the wiring is right there at the vent?
Not necessarily...it depends on the model and what is near the vent opening. In a 19' Bambi, for isntance, it's bit tricky to get electricity to the back vent so that you can operate it without having to turn the light on somewhere .... you have to drill through the bulkhead to the bathroom and connect to the wiring that goes the bathroom fan... since the off/on switch for that fan is on the fan itself you'll have hot wiring there... But if you connect to light wiring and that light is controlled by a wall switch, you'll end up having to have the light on to have electricity at the light...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
TB Rich, I replaced the rear vent with a Fantastic Fan in our 19-foot Bambi, and connected the fan to the wiring to the overhead light. And, yes, the wall switch has to be turned on. However, if you connect the fan to the hot lead going to the light fixture, you can turn the overhead light on/off at the fixture, and both the light and the fan will have power as long as the wall switch is on.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
TB Rich, I replaced the rear vent with a Fantastic Fan in our 19-foot Bambi, and connected the fan to the wiring to the overhead light. And, yes, the wall switch has to be turned on. However, if you connect the fan to the hot lead going to the light fixture, you can turn the overhead light on/off at the fixture, and both the light and the fan will have power as long as the wall switch is on.
Thanks... Yup, that works with your model. However, ours is the SE package so we have the halogen (now converted to LED) recessed ceiling lights ... which don't have individual switches...in fact there are no ceiling lights with individual switches, so the nearest access is the bathroom fan-vent...which is a bummer in some ways.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 02-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Interesting, we didn't look at the Safari models very closely when we were shopping; and I hadn't thought about the halogen fixtures not having built-in switches.

I don't want to hijack this post, but is there a thread where the differences between Safari's and Bambi's are discussed?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
Are there any considerations for curvature of the ceiling on the late model trailers? Special trim kits etc?

I take it the wiring is right there at the vent?
see post # 18

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Interesting, we didn't look at the Safari models very closely when we were shopping; and I hadn't thought about the halogen fixtures not having built-in switches.

I don't want to hijack this post, but is there a thread where the differences between Safari's and Bambi's are discussed?
I don't know if there's such a thread...but the model and trim pkg distinctions are more than a little confusing...our Safari SE is called (and badged as) a Bambi, as is the 16' model... I would guess yours is also a Safari, badged as a Bambi... but not an SE. The SE (Special Edition) has the pano window, aluminum interior skin, halogen lights, and probably a few other things... while the regular Safari has the cloth-lined walls inside, regular ceiling lights, etc. Then there is the whole International CCD model and their trim pkg...which have the same floor plans but different cabinetry, etc. It's enough to confuse anyone when you begin to look at the differences...to make matters worse, as of 2009, what was called the Safari SE was re-named the Flying Cloud... I think they just like to keep us on our toes.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
He might be a vendor for Fantastic Vent (it is "vent" not "fan")
Yes, the fan is in the vent.
If your Airstream has never had the OEM rounded corner vent changed for something more modern (this is more for the vintage crowd), here is a brief article that outlines the procedure for installing a Fantastic. And, similar to the vendor Frank may know, I know this guy has installed a few of them:

A Fantastic Story
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I have bought all of mine from Fantastic Vent RV Vent Fan* Adohen Supply

The trailer came with one in the bedroom and I replaced the one in the bath and the one in the living room with Fantastic units.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
atwood now owns Fan-tastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Their customer service can't be matched by anyone, but I have read that the family owned business has recently changed hands. So, if this is true, I don't know how well the customer service will be in the future. Anyone here who can verify this rumor?
http://www.askforatwood.com/fan-tasticVent.pdf
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Kudos, Fantastic Vent

I'll add our name to the long list of those who are impressed with Fantastic Vent's customer service...refreshing in this day and age...The fan lift motor on our vent was not functioning properly (the lift gear was stripped). I called Fantastic Vent, talked to Steve in tech support...and explained what was happening. He knew exactly what we needed to remedy the situation, and took my address and phone and told me if I needed help switching out the fan motor he was sending, to call him back and he'd walk me through it. No hesitation, no questions, just service, plain and simple. Thank you, Fantastic Vent! I got the replacement motor, installed it without trouble and it's as good as new... It's FANTASTIC!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #32
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Fantastic Fan

I would like to add to the positive comments re: FANTASTIC FANS.
The customer service has been above expectation, and unmatched by any other OEM I have ever had dealings with.
After I received the replacement motor mount, (international shipment to my door at no cost) I emailed them with this comment.
" If more companies stood behind their product like Fantastic Fans does, America would not be in the manufacturing doldrums that they are today!"
I would never purchase another brand after this show of support for their product which was 12 years old at that time.
I can only hope ATWOOD tries to promote this customer service culture throughout their corporate structure.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Is our Fantastic Fan/Vent Broken?

We just got back from our maiden voyage in our 2009 27' FB International. Almost everything worked great except the Fantastic Vent in the bedroom wouldn't open. When we switched it on (in automatic open mode) the knob would spin and spin and spin, but the vent cover wouldn't open. When we flipped the switch to the close position, it would reverse direction and then then shut down and stop (just like the other one when it finishes closing). I then tried the 'manual' method by pulling the knob down and it would turn, turn, and turn but never open. My initial thought is that one of the gears maybe missing a tooth or two and it just isn't engaging. Any thoughts? Is there something I should be doing but I'm not? Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, how did you fix it. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It sounds like the motor lift gear is stripped (or possibly not in the correct position to connect with the lifting mechanism)... You can take off the knob by loosening the screw and taking it off, then take off the small white plastic cover above that knob. The motor is just above that... you can pull it down a ways...you can see where the top shaft of the motor should connect with the upper lifting mechanism...it's like a pin with ridges that fits into a receiving shaft from the lifting arm above. Try aligning it properly and putting it back together. If that doesn't solve the problem, call Fantastic Vent 800-521-0298 FanTastic Vent - Contact Us and talk to one of the tech support guys...they are great and will help you trouble shoot the problem. Sometimes if the seal on the vent gets stuck to the opening, it causes the gears to strip. This happened to us and they sent us a kit with a new motor and I fixed it myself...they will not charge you a thing to do this...they have the best customer support and service in the land. If you are still under warranty, you can also have it fixed by your dealer for nothing.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 04-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #35
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I've heard that the Fantastic vents with the rain sensors are not good near sleeping quarters because they open and close (depending on whether it is currently raining or not) and may wake you up. Is this true?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #36
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Fantastic

I guess you have a choice of a little noise or a wet blanket.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
I've heard that the Fantastic vents with the rain sensors are not good near sleeping quarters because they open and close (depending on whether it is currently raining or not) and may wake you up. Is this true?
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
I have one in my Excella's bedroom and love it. If it rains, I would rather it close and disturb me a little instead of water disturbing me a lot.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
What drives us nuts is when it's very humid out and it opens and closes and opens and closes and opens and closes... you get the picture. It's kind of comical in reality, but it gets old after the first several times... I eventually get up and close it down till the humidity settles down. I do appreciate it closing when it begins to rain...it's a great fan!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
We just got back from our maiden voyage in our 2009 27' FB International. Almost everything worked great except the Fantastic Vent in the bedroom wouldn't open. When we switched it on (in automatic open mode) the knob would spin and spin and spin, but the vent cover wouldn't open. When we flipped the switch to the close position, it would reverse direction and then then shut down and stop (just like the other one when it finishes closing). I then tried the 'manual' method by pulling the knob down and it would turn, turn, and turn but never open. My initial thought is that one of the gears maybe missing a tooth or two and it just isn't engaging. Any thoughts? Is there something I should be doing but I'm not? Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, how did you fix it. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.
I am not sure if this is your problem but this is what happened to me.

I HAD TO MANUALLY HELP THE MOTOR, LIFTING THE COVER. IT SEEMS THAT THE SEALANT AROUND THE UNIT AND THE ROOF SOFTENED THEN HARDENED ENOUGH FOR THE COVER TO STICK TO THE ROOF. Check the caulking sealant.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Occasionally the pin holding the lift arm in the gear mechanism (which engages with the motor) will work loose and fall out. When this happens the vent cover will not open; even, of course, with the motor running or manually for that matter. So I take it apart and fix the pin in and clean the unit at the same time. A bit annoying but hey it's better than working.
rtaylor537 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantastic fan