Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fantastic Fan # 2

Hello All, Thanks for all the past help and now I have another question for you. I install a fantastic fan it the front of the 61 overlander, 26 foot last week and now Camping World has a sell starting Thursday with them on sell for less than 100 $, My question is, should I put another fan in the rear, does two fans make that much difference. As of yet I have no AC in the overlander. Thanks in advance for the information.....Dave...
David Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I hear that if you have 2 fans and put one on pull and one on push, that there is a great deal of airflow throughout the trailer.
Might be a wise investment if you don't have A/C.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Regardless which features it has, having two fans is fantastic!

With both on it can be like a wind tunnel in the coach if set on high. One is good, but now that I've seen how two work, with anything larger than a 22' unit, two should be standard equipment!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

It depends upon your window configuration and preferences. On our '85 Sovereign 25' I was disappointed at the airflow from the rear vent through the front Fantastic Fan. However, when I cracked the back window open the flow was as strong as I could ever want it.

If you don't like to open the rear window, or don't have a good large one, then you really would need the two fans, one blowing and one drawing. If, like me, you have a good large window, and don't mind having it open, then the single fan has approximately half the noise and power draw of two.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
FANTASTIC

While at Jackson Center in August, I asked our service advisor about replacing the living area light/fan with a skylight, he said most people replace light/fan with a Fantastic, I decided to wait but now that Camping World has this great deal, I'll reconsider. Do you think they can do a good job on the Airstream?.

We have a Fanastic in the bedroom. Our Texas summers will require the A/C but we have situations in the Spring & Fall where e could enjoy 2 Fantastics!
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fantastic Fan # 2

Greetings Dave!

Quote:
My question is, should I put another fan in the rear, does two fans make that much difference.
I had two Fantastic Vent Fans installed in my '64 Overlander in '99 at the WBCCI International Rally in Dayton. I have absolutely no regrets - - the fans make Rallys a pleasure - - one simply did not move enough air (especially in the bedroom area during the night). I went with the reversible fans that included the rain sensor, and often leave them on thermostatic control much of the summer - - the fan in the bath is normally set for exhaust while the fan in the front living area is set for intake. When the trailer isn't being used, I just crack open the jalousie window in front to allow for air intake. When camped, I usually open the jalousie windows next to the door and just barely open a window over each of the beds.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:06 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Keep in mind having two fans also allows you to run one opposite where you are living at the time. So if we are watching TV and temps only require one fan to be on, we run the back fan and leave the front off. Vice versa at bed time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:39 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Take 2

We have 2 fans and we also have 2 cats. We can stop for a meal in all but the hottest weather by running one fan in and one fan out. It allows us to keep the windows closed for security.

Also nice at night in an unsecured spot such as a truck stop to keep the windows closed up.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
We are going to get one in our Safari for now, A/S asking $450.- installed. The one at C/W now is $209.- + install, may do that & do both. What do you think?

BTW, John, where do you keep the litter box? We have only one cat now but she is coming on our extended trips in the 25 Safari.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:20 AM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
CW is going to give you grief on the install fee. Even though they say it is X to install it, their install pricing is for box RV's not Airstreams. There is a set of photos on the forum that details hoe to do it. If you are the least bit handy with tools and not afraid to get on a ladder this is a DIY job.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:46 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you have Airstream do it, you will find that the units are both exhaust only at this point. It could be different on the Classic line, but I when I ordered it at the time of construction of my Safari, it was $285.00 then or like you said $450 after the fact.

Vicki at Airstream told me in October of '03 that Airstream was going to go with the exhaust only units once the current stock of pusher/puller units was out. On some units however, it is an RVIA code not to place an intake near an wastewater vent pipe. There is a certain distance that is required.

At first I thought I had a pusher/puller in front, but sure enough after getting familiar with the new coach, they are in fact both exhaust.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fantastic Fan # 2

Another thought for those who might be planning to attend the WBCCI International Rally in Lansing, Michigan this year. Fantastic Vent has always had a factory representative at the International Rally as well as an installer. They have offered very reasonable "installed packages" during the Rally. I had both fans installed on my Overlander by the factory representative at the '99 International Rally in Dayton, Ohio. I am planning to have the factory representative install a Fantastic Vent in my Minuet at the International Rally in Lansing (the Minuet is so small that it only has one roof vent). Some years, the waiting list can become lengthy for the Rally Installation packages so it usually pays to shop and arrange installation early in the Rally.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:12 AM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Vicki at Airstream told me in October of '03 that Airstream was going to go with the exhaust only units once the current stock of pusher/puller units was out.
You know the two fans on my '01 Safari were exhaust only and I really didn't feel that that diminished my satisfaction level of the fans. In cases where I wanted air to come in the hatch, I set the fan thermostat to open the hatch but not run the fan. The other fan running and exhausting air would suck air through the open hatch.

If you think about the physics the difference in performance in that scenerio would not be that diminished over one fan in exhaust and one running in an intake mode. You can only move so much air through those 2 openings.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:33 AM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed & Debbie
We are going to get one in our Safari for now, A/S asking $450.- installed. The one at C/W now is $209.- + install, may do that & do both. What do you think?

BTW, John, where do you keep the litter box? We have only one cat now but she is coming on our extended trips in the 25 Safari.
The litter box goes in the shower with a rug under it so that we can shake out any spilled litter when we need the shower. With the sliding bathroom door, there is no access problem. With a swinging door, I guess I would have to put in a cat door.

The cats are a joy to travel with and have made the trailer a second home The old cat spends his time on the duvet on the queen bed watching the world out the rear window while the young cat watches the world out the front from the back of the sofa.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Our '99 just had 1 Fan-Tastic fan in the bedroom. I have since installed 2 more in the trailer (replaced the bath and living units with fans) from <http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/>. The owner was very helpful and he was able to beat CW's or Camper's Choice prices. They are not hard to replace at all if you are willing to do it yourself.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Pre-Wired?

I'm hoping Airstream has pre-wired the vent locations on the '04 Safari 25's with 12vdc, otherwise that could be the most difficult part (fishing wires) for a DIY project. They pre-wire a solar hook-up. I called the fact. but no ans. yet. If that's the case I'll do it myself. At over $400.- savings it's tough not to try.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:11 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I believe if the factory doesn't pre wire for the fans, the ceiling lights are very close to the vent openings and if I remember correctly, many members have just wired off these. I am sure someone else will respond with more info.

Bob
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Ed and Debbie,

We will be at the Rally this coming weekend, just won't be bringing the trailer. If you would like to see my installation, let me know and we can drive to Cleburne and see the trailer. When I did my change out of the 2 fans, the wires were already in place. I even added 2 lights in the living room ceiling to the original wall switch.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally posted by Dwight
Ed and Debbie,

We will be at the Rally this coming weekend, just won't be bringing the trailer. ...
Dwight, Yes, we will be at the rally...Like to see what you've done. Cleburne is close enough to Burleson.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Question Fantastic-Fan Installation??

I just had Camping World experience Friday, trying to purchase two Fantastic 4000r (reversibles - no thermostat) and have them do installation after driving an hour to their shop south of San Jose, CA... Their $69/unit install quote became a "soft" $160 per unit, with no assurances either of leakproof seal or damage avoidance to other wiring in the area. Primary driver seemed to be 12' holes in current roof vents (1988 trailer with big noisy motor, small useless fan blades..), and fact that new fans were 14" square... When they couldn't even make assurances of completing prior to closing time (4 hours...) I pulled out of shope and drove home...

Several comments from them and questions?

1. C/W claimed curvature over 14" so extreme seal would take multiple layers of sealing tape and look horrible and probably leak? 14" per side seems pretty close to 12" per side to me?

2. C/W worried about 110v or 12v wiring in ceiling being cut when expanding opening.. Other than A/C wiring over rear bedroom, is this real risk??

3. FF web site and others claim there's a "curved interior bezel" for airstream strailers. Is it really needed for interior, or for exterior or both?? Does Fantastic vent supply it directly?

4. Anybody had experience buying from C/w (the $99 price for 4000r is awfully attractive..) and having Airstream dealer/shop install?? Would a real competent RV service shop be able to install without challenges??

5. Can someone reply with clue to find instalation references here on forum?

John McGowan

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote