Old 02-11-2004, 09:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Our '99 just had 1 Fan-Tastic fan in the bedroom. I have since installed 2 more in the trailer (replaced the bath and living units with fans) from <http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/>. The owner was very helpful and he was able to beat CW's or Camper's Choice prices. They are not hard to replace at all if you are willing to do it yourself.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Pre-Wired?

I'm hoping Airstream has pre-wired the vent locations on the '04 Safari 25's with 12vdc, otherwise that could be the most difficult part (fishing wires) for a DIY project. They pre-wire a solar hook-up. I called the fact. but no ans. yet. If that's the case I'll do it myself. At over $400.- savings it's tough not to try.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I believe if the factory doesn't pre wire for the fans, the ceiling lights are very close to the vent openings and if I remember correctly, many members have just wired off these. I am sure someone else will respond with more info.

Bob
Old 02-11-2004, 01:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Ed and Debbie,

We will be at the Rally this coming weekend, just won't be bringing the trailer. If you would like to see my installation, let me know and we can drive to Cleburne and see the trailer. When I did my change out of the 2 fans, the wires were already in place. I even added 2 lights in the living room ceiling to the original wall switch.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dwight
Ed and Debbie,

We will be at the Rally this coming weekend, just won't be bringing the trailer. ...
Dwight, Yes, we will be at the rally...Like to see what you've done. Cleburne is close enough to Burleson.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Question Fantastic-Fan Installation??

I just had Camping World experience Friday, trying to purchase two Fantastic 4000r (reversibles - no thermostat) and have them do installation after driving an hour to their shop south of San Jose, CA... Their $69/unit install quote became a "soft" $160 per unit, with no assurances either of leakproof seal or damage avoidance to other wiring in the area. Primary driver seemed to be 12' holes in current roof vents (1988 trailer with big noisy motor, small useless fan blades..), and fact that new fans were 14" square... When they couldn't even make assurances of completing prior to closing time (4 hours...) I pulled out of shope and drove home...

Several comments from them and questions?

1. C/W claimed curvature over 14" so extreme seal would take multiple layers of sealing tape and look horrible and probably leak? 14" per side seems pretty close to 12" per side to me?

2. C/W worried about 110v or 12v wiring in ceiling being cut when expanding opening.. Other than A/C wiring over rear bedroom, is this real risk??

3. FF web site and others claim there's a "curved interior bezel" for airstream strailers. Is it really needed for interior, or for exterior or both?? Does Fantastic vent supply it directly?

4. Anybody had experience buying from C/w (the $99 price for 4000r is awfully attractive..) and having Airstream dealer/shop install?? Would a real competent RV service shop be able to install without challenges??

5. Can someone reply with clue to find instalation references here on forum?

John McGowan

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:15 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fantastic Fan # 2

Greetings John!

If you have plans to be near any of the large WBCCI Rallys - - International, Florida State, etc. - - you might be able to have a Fantstic Vent installed by the factory representative. It was quite reasonable when I had the pair installed in my Overlander and I plan to have one installed in my Minuet at the International Rally in Lansing, Michigan. It would be worth contacting Fantastic Fan to see if they will have an installation representative at a function that you may be attending.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote