Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
Question Fantastic Fan

One of our Fantastic-Fans stopped working. When I turn it on the vent cover goes up automatically(or manually) but the fan doesn't turn on. Checked the fuse and it appears to be okay. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix the problem?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hmmmm. If I recall correctly - theres an on/off switch on the frame of the fan, a potentiometer dial for temp setting auto function and a third control Im not remembering. Sometimes the combo of those 3 screws things up a bit. Also wondering if your rain sensor (it up in the top part of the frame) might be gunked up and messing up the function. Last, does yours have a fuse in the bottom of the frame? You might check that or possibly a loose wire.

Hope something in there is helpful...

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynickel View Post
One of our Fantastic-Fans stopped working. When I turn it on the vent cover goes up automatically(or manually) but the fan doesn't turn on. Checked the fuse and it appears to be okay. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix the problem?
The lid will not go up unless the fan switch is on and power going through, so that rules out the 3 position switch being bad.
The rain sensor will prevent the lid from raising if it is shorted, so the rain sensor is good.

There is a plunger switch that the lid pressed down to turn the fan off as the lid loses. That switch might need lubrication or it could be bad. Turn the power switch to off and/or remove the fuse. Raise the lid manually. Remove the screen. I can reach (long fingers) through the fan and check to see if the plunger is extended. If not extended with the lid open, that's the problem. If it is extended, the switch could be bad. Check for continuity with the plunger extended.

If it is not the plunger switch, remove the trim and the fan body shroud, looking for loose wires.

If not the above:
Fan motor could be bad.
Circuit board could be bad.
Thermostat could be bad.

Good luck!

ps:
In prior times I would have suggested calling Fantastic customer service. Last couple of times I did the people I talked to knew less than I did about their product.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
When my fan has done that I had to turn the temperature dial to a setting that would allow it to start spinning.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
The lid will not go up unless the fan switch is on and power going through, so that rules out the 3 position switch being bad.
The rain sensor will prevent the lid from raising if it is shorted, so the rain sensor is good.

There is a plunger switch that the lid pressed down to turn the fan off as the lid loses. That switch might need lubrication or it could be bad. Turn the power switch to off and/or remove the fuse. Raise the lid manually. Remove the screen. I can reach (long fingers) through the fan and check to see if the plunger is extended. If not extended with the lid open, that's the problem. If it is extended, the switch could be bad. Check for continuity with the plunger extended.

If it is not the plunger switch, remove the trim and the fan body shroud, looking for loose wires.

If not the above:
Fan motor could be bad.
Circuit board could be bad.
Thermostat could be bad.

Good luck!

ps:
In prior times I would have suggested calling Fantastic customer service. Last couple of times I did the people I talked to knew less than I did about their product.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]

Thanks for the good advise! I agree about contacting Fantastic customer service. Staff doesn't seem to be well trained. Looking forward to getting to the Airstream and trying some of your recommendations. Ray