Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Durham , North Carolina
Fan vent (and window) leaks

(1985 34' Excella)... Both front fan vents leak with varying frequency and volume. We're on a hill (semi permanently) and now that I can get above the trailer, I see peel-and-stick patchwork on the roof (grumble). Some of the windows are leaking, but that takes a heavier storm to notice, and this forum is not about windows (although from inspection, it looks like caulking is the preferred method of addressing window leaks...just carve out as much old caulk and resell with new?). Rather than taking the time to remove the peel and stick, I wondered about oversized vent lids. There has to be some somewhere! Ones that reach two or three inches beyond existing ones, and that have a smart drip edge profile?
bradleyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Replacing the window gasket is simple. Remove, basic clean then using Black 3M gasket adhesive, follow directions. I can do a window in less than 15 minutes once I have all the gear ready.

Roof vents .. I replaced my front one last week. Seals fine now.. There is a foam gasket it pulls down against. The mechanism is not real strong but see if you can compress the foam by hand. If pliable, should seal.... Put a little dab of Vaseline on the four sides, crank down then open and inspect for where the Vaseline was squished.

DO NOT USE SILICONE CAULK!!! If previous owner did, clean and replace ASAP!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Just occurred to me... When you said "vents" you were not talking about the skylights.....???
Old 07-17-2015, 05:35 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Durham , North Carolina
Thanks. So no drilling rivets to reveal window? From inspection it looks like there are some caulking compromises on the riveted band around the perimeter of the window (the exterior trim), but you're talking about the seal?

Re vents, I'm talking about the crank up lids on the roof that have fans that turn on when you open them.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My fantastic fans were installed with a foam gasket between them and the trailer skin. In time the gasket compresses and gets hard. Combine that with the flexing skin and you are going to have leaks. There were several layers of different caulk smeared around them in attempts to stop the leaks.

I pulled my vents, cleaned up the area, put some aluminum angle as a frame around the hole and caulked the area liberally with Sikaflex prior to dropping the fans in. Now the thin skin and sealant is sandwiched between the fan flange and the new frame. So far so good. The front fan was very close to the TV antenna and it wobbled around a lot. I squirted insulating foam all around the front vent and antenna. It really stiffended up the area.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
For the window frame to skin leaks, use a little vulkem or silkaflex on a finger, work it into the hairline visible crack, wipe clean with mineral spirits.

On the vents check the rubber gasket the lid seals to as mentioned (I had a really leaky one I was able to fix from the inside), and the caulking of the roof flange.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Durham , North Carolina
Thanks, all!
Old 07-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Durham , North Carolina
Ok to crawl on the roof?
Old 07-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyoder View Post
Ok to crawl on the roof?
Yes.

You walk on the riveted spots where ribs and roof meet.

I also lay boards along length of AS where I will work, covering ribs where I will work...and you can move easier.

Of course I am around 270#.. So I want to be very careful.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Durham , North Carolina
Got it. Thanks!