Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
thats pretty impressive to watch. I wouldn't have thought it could work so well.. My assumption was what all the others did, restrict air flow. I guess if I ever get one it will be this one. But for right now i'm happy with just the fantastic fan..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
John,
What color did you buy?
I understand they have black, white and smoke.
I've had my eye on these things but haven't yet pulled the trigger.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
John,
What color did you buy?
I understand they have black, white and smoke.
I've had my eye on these things but haven't yet pulled the trigger.
I bought white. I might have chosen smoke, but all CW had in stock was 2 white covers.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I think the white is a good color, especially in TX.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I stand corrected. Seeing the video I like the function, and no restrictions. I wonder how well the smoke would match everything. Or maybe the white would match thr AC shroud better. Mefly, How are they attatched? Any kind of gasket? Does the flange seem sturdy?

Dan
Old 06-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
I assume installation is easy. Remember that is is always up! I think this adds wind resistance and looks hideous! My opinion.
Al
X2.....DW insists it's way to ugly, I have to agree.

In all but extreme downpours, our vent is open just far enough for the fan to run,(out), even then if the sensor gets wet it closes down with no wetty inside.

Now if you don't have the rain sensors you may just have to go ugly and live with it.

Bob
Old 06-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Mefly, How are they attached? Any kind of gasket? Does the flange seem sturdy?
Dan
No gasket is required. You remove 4 #8 screws that hold the fan down, the second from the front and second from the rear on each side. Four small metal plates are mounted in the same holes using #10 screws. Each plate has a vertical pin that goes through a hole in the flange and is fastened with a washer and a snap pin. Dead easy! The hardest part will be cutting away all the old sealant to get at the slot in the #8 screws. I will probably take a ladder out to the trailer and install them this weekend. Doubt whether it will take nuch more than a half-hour to mount them.

The new vent cover is no taller than the old one, but is a bit wider. The extra width probably helps in the airflow department.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I stand corrected. Seeing the video I like the function, and no restrictions. I wonder how well the smoke would match everything. Or maybe the white would match thr AC shroud better. Mefly, How are they attatched? Any kind of gasket? Does the flange seem sturdy?

Dan
Easy attachment with four, six, or eight stainless pan head screws. Two screws per side penetrate each side of the existing vent frame horizontally; total of four. They attach L-brackets to the existing vent frame. Then two more per side may be added in a vertical manner. I was at first reluctant to drill through the vent frame and into the actual support structure fearing the possibility of a leak. But, given the exposed frontal area, I decided to go ahead and put in the vertical screws as well...with lots of gorilla snot. So, there are a total of eight screws per vent cover for the install ... four (optional) penetrating the vent frame / actual roof and four penetrating just the sides of the existing vertical portion of the frame.

The design allows for no needed gaskets and the units to be hinged over (wing nuts secured with spring angle stainless) for vent cleaning / access. All of the provided hardware is very sturdy stainless and I do not detect any reduction in fan rotational speed with the covers in place; however, we rarely utilize fan speed position 3. The weather has recently been very wet at times (actually record amounts) and we are VERY pleased with the MaxxAir vent covers. It does look a bit odd (or, for us, that is unique) from a distance with one cover black and one cover white... makes our unit easy to spot at a distance. We don't spend much time looking for ugly on the roof; what we have is functional excellence. Any of the larger covers will stand out to some degree, Most of the larger MH are buying the black covers I was told. Smoke would be a nice intermediate option, but was not available when we bought these about one month ago. I was told that the covers are paintable.

We were very impressed with the screened in lower air port. The exposed area appears close to total area when the vent alone is open without the cover. However, due to the "overhang" past the usual vent position, it is very difficult for water to make its way into the vent / air path. The Fantastic Vent does not open quite as far as normal with the MaxxAir installed but that is a good trade off for being able to leave a vent open, drive down the road, and not have to worry about wind buffeting / vibration destroying the open vent or pivot points (as we've had that happen in the past). These are a premium product priced as such and great on our AS.

No I have no connection with this company or RV sales; just a very happy camper.

It is an easy installation that I would encourage you to consider. We are very happy with the MaxxAir covers.

The install is very simple with written and video instructions provided.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

I guess ugly is in the eye of the beholder...

Bob
Old 07-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I guess ugly is in the eye of the beholder...

Bob
You are correct, my friend. Dare I say that many consider our beloved Airstreams to be a dated ugly design as well ... but, then, we picked them - flaws and all. Here in the MaxxAir vent cover is an innovative design to help solve a known problem that has existed for many years ... without solution until just relatively recently. Heck, I guess that many consider me ugly, too!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
No gasket is required. You remove 4 #8 screws that hold the fan down, the second from the front and second from the rear on each side. Four small metal plates are mounted in the same holes using #10 screws. Each plate has a vertical pin that goes through a hole in the flange and is fastened with a washer and a snap pin. Dead easy! The hardest part will be cutting away all the old sealant to get at the slot in the #8 screws. I will probably take a ladder out to the trailer and install them this weekend. Doubt whether it will take nuch more than a half-hour to mount them.

The new vent cover is no taller than the old one, but is a bit wider. The extra width probably helps in the airflow department.

Hi John,

I just wanted to touch base to see how your install went and if you had a picture you could post of the trailer with the covers in place?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #32
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Hi John,

I just wanted to touch base to see how your install went and if you had a picture you could post of the trailer with the covers in place?
It has been so hot here that I haven't installed the covers yet. They are assembled and laying on the bed.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
St Simons Island , Georgia
Anyone have any experience with the black ones and how well they block out light in the morning? Someone mentioned they purchased a black one for the fan over the bedroom and a white one for over the kitchen/galley area.
pdozanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
It has been so hot here that I haven't installed the covers yet. They are assembled and laying on the bed.

Ya, way too hot to be up on a ladder. I should have thought of that before asking.

My trailer is in storage and I'm not doing anything extra right now either, just ordering odds and ends and staying indoors most of the time.

Can hardly wait for the cool weather to come back so I can get on the road.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdozanne View Post
Anyone have any experience with the black ones and how well they block out light in the morning? Someone mentioned they purchased a black one for the fan over the bedroom and a white one for over the kitchen/galley area.
I wanted to see what a black cover looked like on the streams. I searched some photos on this forum and found this one. Doesn't look bad at all. The one in the pic is a Maxxair brand, I think.
The Road Home, A Friendly Face - summer, 2008, Photo Gallery

It's not over the bedroom fan but over the lounge area. Not sure what is over the other fan as it's not in the pic.

I have purchased one cover in smoke for the lounge area in the rear of my trailer. I would have gotten a second one for the over the bedroom fan but with the solar panels there is not enough room.
I got the Ultra Breeze cover.
Hopefully, I'll install it in the next couple of days.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I put the Maxxair ll vent covers on my trailer and they work just fine. Only one of my vents is a Fantastic Vent. I saw a longer version of the vent cover flow test and it stated that the Fantastic Vent brand vent cover has an optional screen. [test was done without the optional screen] Test them again, mine against theirs, Both with screens and both without screens. My screens are removable, but I won't run without them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4404RS.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	166092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4398RS.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	166093  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4403RS.jpg