Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2002, 04:48 PM   #1
WanderingMinstrel

1971 31' Sovereign
2007 25' International CCD
2005 28' International CCD
Shadow Hills , California
Fan-tastic Fan Installation With Photos

Hi All.

After reading several threads on this forum about installing the Fan-tastic Fan and several folks expressing a desire to see some photos of the job, my daughter Jessica and I bit the bullet and did the job. The photos are posted on http://www.airforums.com/photo...&imageuser=817

I hope this proves helpful to any who may be hesitant. We found the installation pretty simple... not too difficult and actually rather fun.

BTW, for some reason, the pics seemed to have loaded in reverse order. So if you find my first pic titled "Installing a Fan-tastic Fan - Getting Started" open it up and then click on the left-pointing arrow to view my sequence.

Duane Abler
Dabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 05:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Duane,
Fan-Tastic job on the Fan-Tastic vent. If you don't mind me asking, which model did you buy and why?
Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 10:59 AM   #3
WanderingMinstrel

1971 31' Sovereign
Thanks Randy.

Here's a link to the model I purchased.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...fm?skunum=7284

It's not the deluxe version with rain sensor, but the model below it. It has a three speed reversable fan and a thermostat . It's a great fan; efficient, quiet, looks good and allows a certain amount of light to enter (like a skylight) even when closed.

We're weekend warriers so I didn't feel the need for the auto rain functionality. We live in Southern California so it's not really an issue.

Cheers!
Duane
Old 11-08-2002, 01:31 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Wow! great series!! I'm tempted....especially since I just posted on another thread how I need to replace my front vent cover with "something".

So...what are you going to do for a light fixture now? just going to leave it with nothing?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:59 PM   #5
WanderingMinstrel

1971 31' Sovereign
Hi Chuck.

I will have to wait and find a fixture that is appropriate and fits in. Of course this will have to be approved through the office of the Decorator General, my talented wife. She'll want to find something that doesn't take away from the character of the trailer... I'll let you know when we get around to it!

But there are several solutions available. The major issue is the curved ceiling. You could mount a rectangular fixture on either or both sides of the fan. We're not into flourescent but you get the point.

The trick now is to find the right fixture. The installation shouldn't be too tough, as the wires are already there... just need to mount it.

If need be, one could fabricate a base plate for a regular fixture to deal with the curve.

Just some thoughts.
Duane
Old 04-21-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I am just in from installing a Fantastic Vent in my '85 25' Sovereign. Actually, I haven't finished up inside, but it is late and it will still be there tomorrow.

I ran into one issue I do not believe has been raised on any of the threads concerning installation. Like many others, I am bringing the power off the light fixture just aft of the vent opening. However, in my unit there is a framing piece between the light and the vent opening, blocking the access. I could have drilled out some rivets and slipped them between the interior skin and the frame, but that seemed sloppy and potentially a source for a dead short. I finally was able to fish a pair of wires from the light fixture over to the main wiring bundle, and then through the opening in the frame made to accomodate the wiring, then back over to the vent.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
You can also drill a small hole through the rib and put a grommet in it.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Yes, and I should have mentioned that alternative, and I imagine that in some configurations that would be by far the easiest solution.

In my case, however, the rib is about a foot back from the vent opening, which would require either a rather long bit, or removing rather a lot of the interior panel to gain access.

My point really is that there is a formed opening in the rib for wiring which can be used.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #9

2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thank you all for the tips on installing a Fantastic fan.

I replaced my front vent with a Fantastic fan this evening after reading your comments.

Many things you all have said before were spot on. This is from a first time user both of Airstream trailers and of this website. My comments are:
1. Tie your ladder to the side of the trailer securely. I tied down to the awning mounting arms. It is surprising how many side-forces are placed on the top rung of your ladder when getting up on the trailer and even more when getting off the trailer. I used Knee Pads to kneel up there until I realized that it was going to be a simple job. I did most of the work laying down, across the rivit area. It is easy to scratch the top surface if you have a belt buckle on when lieing down.
2. Removing the old vent took about an hour. Getting the screws out of this 2006 23' Safari took 10 minutes. I sharpened a 1" puddy knife at 45 degrees and used a small tap-hammer to tap it around the old vent. This process cut away the sealant and the old vent was finally out. Cleanup of the old sealant took quite a bit of time, using the puddy knife. Then I used alcholol and a scratchpad/sponge to clean the residual adhesive/glue. The Fantastic is the same size so the vent did not need to be enlarged on this trailer.
3. Assembly: I installed the closed cell foam gasket onto the Fantastic fan, then put both in the vent from the top side. Then, from the bottom, I installed the white square plastic bezel and secured it with tape to insure the alignment of the entire assembly before drilling the top side holes. This way the bezel and fan were centered in the hole. Then I drilled each hole and zipped in the screw. I started in the center hole on each side and worked towards the ends so the foam spread evenly.
4. The 2006 is pre-wired and crimping in the power was simple. I tested that the fan blows air in (out) when the switch is set to "in" (out).
5. Tomorrow I will cut down the inside bezel to fit the height correctly and test next weekend. So far this took about 3 hours, but would go much more quickly "the second time", or with two people.

I appreciate all of your notes and comments.
Thanks again.
kenwood23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Luckily the Fan-tastic Fan Factory, (wow! say that ten times really fast!), is located only 15-20 miles from my home! They will install them for you too!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote