Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Fan comparison: Fantastic vs. Shurflo

Literally, by accident, we now have two ceiling fans: a Fantastic originally installed as an option and a Shurflo (Gold Series) that we had installed by CampingWorld.

Sure the Fantastic fan has a thermostatic control and a cover that closes when it rains but in all other respects, we much prefer the Shurflo. The Shurflo is considerably less expensive, is quieter, has a continuously variable speed, is reversible for inflow or outflo, and has an easily removable screen. Also, we find that we can use the fan with the cover closed to circulate the A/C better around the bedroom where the fan is installed. Lastly, it appears that although the Shurflo has fewer fan blades, their pitch is such that the volume of air moved at the same speed as the Fantastic is greater.

By the way, had we opted for the Shurflo Platinum Series it would have included a remote control, a power dome, a thermostat, and a rain sensor all at a price that would have still been lower than the Fantastic, but close.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Thanks for the Information!

Hi Mike and Rosemary,

I have been considering a Fantastic, but will certainly check out the Shureflow now.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Being able to run the fan with the cover closed is a nice feature. Thanks for the comparison.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Greenwood , South Carolina
Very interesting, thanks for the info. I'm about to replace some fans.
plossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You should also check out the MaxxFan. It is like a Fantastic or Shurflo, but has a rain-proof cover that allows you to operate in in the rain, which you can not do with either of the others.

I have 2 of them in the 19CCD and they work so well, that I rarely have to use the A/C.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
You should also check out the MaxxFan. It is like a Fantastic or Shurflo, but has a rain-proof cover that allows you to operate in in the rain, which you can not do with either of the others.

I have 2 of them in the 19CCD and they work so well, that I rarely have to use the A/C.
If Shurflos work with the covered closed, I'd think you could use them when raining, or even snowing.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Does Sureflow have a curved ceiling adapter for us folks with older trailers with more of roof radius?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:

Lew -

I assume that you can also operate the MaxxFan in windy conditions as well. That's one of the reasons why I added a MaxxVent roof vent cover over my Fantastic Fans (the kind designed for over high speed fans).

Before someone tells me you can operate Fantastic Fans when it's windy outside, I'd like them to meet a longtime Airstreamer who's staying at our RV park now in MT who had his Fantastic Fan cover blow off in a storm one night recently.

Next time I have a choice, I think I'll opt for the MaxxFan.

John
Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I have the platinum series installed in my 56 Caravanner. The 7 speed fan circulated a great deal of air in or out. The remote was very handy as I could lay in bed and press away.

They did not have a trim piece for the curved ceiling, but it looked fine in the caravanner.

Steve
Old 08-03-2007, 12:15 AM   #10
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
We've had the fantastic fans in our previous 31' & the now 34' - unfortunately, they can't run when it's raining and the lids do rattle a lot when windy (never had one blow off though-probably because we close them!)
We just installed a Maxx Fan in "Our Gussy" and have really come to appreciate it. Yes, it can run & fully ventilate when raining. During the summer when the trailer is in storage, we leave it in up position to have some airflow inside.
Can it withstand high winds? We (accidentally) left it open when driving - it survived the 60 mph drive unscathed.
The fan seems quieter as well - probably because the airflow is indirect across the blades?
Now, we're big Maxx "fans"
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
One other thing to consider.... Fantastic Fan is noted for it's well-deserved reputation of fantastic customer service. I have no experience with the other brands, so they may also provide good service. Just a thought.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #12
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
We love our MaxxFan, and the cover was the big selling point since we live in rainy Seattle. We leave ours open most of the time in the Spring/Summer, and it really keeps the air moving.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr
One other thing to consider.... Fantastic Fan is noted for it's well-deserved reputation of fantastic customer service. I have no experience with the other brands, so they may also provide good service. Just a thought.
I agree. Their customer service has been amazing. That being said, I like the idea of being able to operate the fan in the rain, and am considering a MaxxFan for the rear vent over the bed - best of both worlds.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
My '83 has the combo vent/skylight/light fixture. I can't even see the vent. Has anyone installed in this type of fixture? Photos?

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
I just looked at the specs of the Maxxfan and found that it only has 3 speeds. I'd prefer continuously variable speeds, which is a favorite feature of the Shurflo.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Hi Mike & Rosemary-you moved! (Coming to Lake San Antonio Rally?)

Thanks for info on Maxxfan, will look into that for bedroom fan, the remote would be a plus.
Anyone ever change/modify cooktop fan-that one is the loudest of all???

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Moving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincrew
Hi Mike & Rosemary-you moved! (Coming to Lake San Antonio Rally?)

Thanks for info on Maxxfan, will look into that for bedroom fan, the remote would be a plus.
Anyone ever change/modify cooktop fan-that one is the loudest of all???

Leslie
Leslie,

Yes, we sold our stationary home on July 20th and are now living in the Airstream full-time. We'll start the construction process in September when we get to Arizona. We should be able to get free for the Lake San Antonio rally and then continue at a leisurely pace down the coast to San Diego. It will be months before our new home is finished so there's plenty of time to hang around.

If you want all the bells and whistles, I'd encourage you to look at the Shurflo Platinum Series. I wasn't impressed with the specs of the Maxxfan and it is certainly more expensive than the Shurflo.

When we get to Boston, I'm going to assign my father the task of doing something about the stove fan. At a minimum, we expect to make it a variable speed unit.

See you on the road,

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 08-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Fans

Thanks, will look into that fan for the bedroom for sure. Let me know what you come up with on the cooktop fan.

Please keep in touch, especially before you head down here-there are some nice places and we'd love to catch up with you guys.

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Old thread on vent fan noise

Here is an old thread on vent fan noise that may have a solution for you. Bathroom and stove vents are discussed.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 08-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Not to hijack but..

I was at the mothership about a month ago, and they wanted over $500 to install a second fan - saying it was two hours of labor. Did anyone "do it yourself" and if so do you have pictures? JohnHD saved me $200 with his "how to winterize" and I'd greatly appreciate the chance to decide whether this project is a no-brainer/no-brauner or whether it would make more sense for ME to pay someone else to do it for me.

I'm also willing to consider brands other than OEM.

Paula