Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Exhaust Fan - which wires go where?

Well, I did it again. I ripped out the overhead tambour cabinet on my '76 G/T to replace the delapidated panel over the sink with new laminate material. In my haste, I neglected to pay attention to the wires I cut - duh!

I'm attaching a picture of the mystery wires and the switch that activates the fan - the fan works 'cause I tested it with a 12v battery charger. I have a voltmeter but don't know how to test for the hot wires - do I just put the red lead on the wire and ground the black lead anywhere or do I need to touch another wire?

I'm not good with schematics but am somewhat intuitive on figuring electrical stuff out. I'm guessing the the wires that come off the switch need another "power" wire to run the fan when in battery only mode and when plugged in.

Any words of wisdom to help enlighten me is greatly appreciated!

I'm guessing on the switch, the lower portion that is Red is the HOT terminal - good guess?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loosewires.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	84183   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	84184  

kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Got the fan working but ended up with two extra wires

Okay - got the wires on the switch and a hot white wire to the other red wire of the fan - it now turns on and off - yeah!

BUT - I"m left with a hot yellow wire and white ground wire - I have no clue where these connect???? I'm thinking there should be a wire that works of the AC circuit.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is that where your control panel went? If so, the other hot wire would be for battery voltage to the built-in voltmeter, and the feed for the panel lights. Your fan should be 12 volt DC only. If you hook up 120 volts, you'll end up with your own miniature version of Chernobyl.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Thanks, Terry

That makes sense and thanks, Terry.

Only question - there is a male and female plug to the panel - got that.
Where would the yellow (hot) and white (gnd) attach? If you looked at the pic, there was a small red wire joined with a small cut blue wire and a blue wire with a female connector attached to zippo.

Thanks again,

Ken
Old 07-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In that case, wasn't there a light fixture there? It would need + and -, since the cabinet isn't metal.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:11 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Light fixture is all taken care of and works good. Is there anything else besides the light, exhaust fan and control unit that could have gone up there?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I had the same problem finding where the yellow and white wires went...we ended up calling inland RV and they talked us through it all. Good Luck- but once those things are fixed they're fixed for good.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
Light fixture is all taken care of and works good. Is there anything else besides the light, exhaust fan and control unit that could have gone up there?
That should pretty much be it. Do you still have extra wires or plugs?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
I'm all set as far as electrical goes.

Do have a couple things I don't quite understand - one is the potable water - I went to a state park w/no water hook up or electricity - used the potable water and the pump ran a long time before shutting off - the water pressure was so so - but what was strange was all the air I was getting in the lines. The p/o replaced all the brass with PVC and it looks like he did a pro job - but pump does shut off after awhile. Also, I'm guessing the pump is also putting water into the hot water heater even though I didn't use it. I had a Jayco Kiwi 2003 before the '76 g/t I have now (it was in a flood). The potable water pump worked a lot better in that.

The other is I have a device that I could use that attaches to the waste line - it runs on electric and I believe it's used to chop up #2 from the black tank. I don't use it but today when leaving our site and when I pulled the lever for the black water - nothing . . . I backed up to make the waste line tighter but still nothing - the site I had had a waste unit on it - finallĄ I got it to go but it did make somewhat of an embarrassing mess - I was able to clean up okay - thinking this chop chop probably would have stopped things from getting clogged.

I love the A/S but it seems a bit more primitive than the Jayco was as far as the plumbing & electrical go.