Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Drill through new Astrodome???

Just got our new 14x14 and 14x26" Astrodome replacements for my 65 Overlander and when I read the instructions included with the rivots I about had a heart attack! They instructed me to drill through the dbl layer of the vent and use a sealant to weatherproof. I though you would rivot the hardware to the single interior layer of the vent cover not all the way through the brand new vent.

These are brand new through InlandRV. Anyone install these before? I went through 5 pgs on the forum and can't quite find any good examples.

Confused...
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicheVintage View Post
Just got our new 14x14 and 14x26" Astrodome replacements for my 65 Overlander and when I read the instructions included with the rivots I about had a heart attack! They instructed me to drill through the dbl layer of the vent and use a sealant to weatherproof. I though you would rivot the hardware to the single interior layer of the vent cover not all the way through the brand new vent.

These are brand new through InlandRV. Anyone install these before? I went through 5 pgs on the forum and can't quite find any good examples.

Confused...
The double layer of plastic provides double the holding power for the pop rivets.

It was intentionally designed to do exactly that for extra security.

Many thousands have been fastened the way the instructions specify.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Andy - do I install the rivots from the exterior (top side) of the vent or the interior (bottom) side. In other words, am I holding the rivot gun in the airstream or up on a ladder on the roof (I actually removed the hardware to grease and for ease of install so not literally on the roof).

What sealant do you recommend?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy - do I install the rivots from the exterior (top side) of the vent or the interior (bottom) side. In other words, am I holding the rivot gun in the airstream or up on a ladder on the roof (I actually removed the hardware to grease and for ease of install so not literally on the roof).

What sealant do you recommend?
The very best installation, is to have the rivet head on the top of the vent covers, the rivet going thru the cover and the operator, and a 1/8 inch washer around the rivet body on the inside of the covers, thatwill be on the bottom side of the operator. It's OK, if you don't use the washer, but it is best if you do so.

You can seal the rivet head with a small dab of Par-bond sealer, or if your careful, a small dab of Vulkem sealer.

Andy
Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Can these sealants be purchased locally? ie home depot or Lowes? Thanks Andy for your help.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

NicheVintage,

I got one of these from Andy many years ago (over 5) installed as Andy says (rivet head outsidewith a little sealer around the "underside" of the head before installing and then a dab on the center after installing) and it has worked well.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Can these sealants be purchased locally? ie home depot or Lowes? Thanks Andy for your help.
I am not sure if those stores sell Vulkem or Parbond.

I never asked if they do.

Anyone else know????

Andy
Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1964 22' Safari
Nashville , Tennessee
I purchased Vulkem locally at a sealants supplier. I found it because I saw Vulkem being used to seal store front windows on install. Who knew! Anyway, if you search sealant supply in google maps, you could find a supplier who carries it.
chriscrimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Ok so picked up some silicone sealant and took the measurements and thought I was all good to go and then this! Does it ever end? Any way to repair or am I calling Andy again in the morning for another order! This darn Airstream, while a lot of fun is a real pain in the you know what!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Crystal Lake , Illinois
We just purchased this astrodome in white and are just this minute trying to figure out what to do with it. I told the girl on the phone that our 1963 globetrotter was inherited with a piece of plywood instead of the dome. When I asked, she said that it came with instructions and the hardware required to attach it, but we have no idea how to start. If someone has clear instructions I would really appreciate it. Still searching the archives, it must be here somewhere :-)
LoriK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriK View Post
We just purchased this astrodome in white and are just this minute trying to figure out what to do with it. I told the girl on the phone that our 1963 globetrotter was inherited with a piece of plywood instead of the dome. When I asked, she said that it came with instructions and the hardware required to attach it, but we have no idea how to start. If someone has clear instructions I would really appreciate it. Still searching the archives, it must be here somewhere :-)
The cover must be riveted to the opening operators.

Andy
Old 04-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Crystal Lake , Illinois
Obviously. I just wish that the promised instructions were included. We spent a bit of time looking it over, but have no idea if we should remove the lifters first- or buy scaffolding and work on it from above.. I know that this is probably a stupid question....it is just annoying when you are promised that there will be instructions on an expensive piece of plastic and just get a puzzle.... I am not even sure if we have all that we need because there is not even one diagram to give us any kind of guidance.

And where do we but the roll of foam gasket?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Obviously. I just wish that the promised instructions were included. We spent a bit of time looking it over, but have no idea if we should remove the lifters first- or buy scaffolding and work on it from above.. I know that this is probably a stupid question....it is just annoying when you are promised that there will be instructions on an expensive piece of plastic and just get a puzzle.... I am not even sure if we have all that we need because there is not even one diagram to give us any kind of guidance.
No need to get on the roof.

Measure the distance between the operators exact location.

Mount the operators in those locations.

Add the gasket. Extend the operators somewhat

Turn the astrodome vertically, extend it thru the astrodome opening, lay it flat against the astrodome metal flange, bottom side down, position the operators, snap the operators in place.

Retract the cover as necessary, using the operators.

The key is to make proper measurements, as there are 2 different sizes of astrodome flanges or frames.

Andy
Old 04-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Crystal Lake , Illinois
Thanks Andy. You did not really answer my questions, but I guess that it must mean that I should be able to figure it out myself.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy. You did not really answer my questions, but I guess that it must mean that I should be able to figure it out myself.
What question did I not try to answer?

Andy
Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
If you have the original openers/lifters, then measure the distance between the lifters where the new dome will attach with the lifters in the down position. Then take the lifters out by placing a screwdriver between the lower part of the lifter and the arm on the frame of the opening that juts out and pry it off. All of the work you need to do to the new astrodome, you can do on your workbench. Once completed, the dome can be installed from inside the trailer by lifting the completed dome through the vent opening and positioning it in place.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1966 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
From Parts Unknown , Unknown
Tremco Vulkem is carried by Fastenal where you can buy it cash & carry. Find a location near you at their website Here is what they call it:
TPV626Alum-300mlC 1-partPolyurethaneTexturedMasonry | Fastenal

The masonry nomenclature denotes its the color of concrete (aluminum)
1956 Spartan Imperial Mansion
TCT Since 2002, 8728,
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Crystal Lake , Illinois
Thank you Brad- that is exactly what I was wondering, and very helpful...
Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Check out the link in the first post of this thread, maybe it will help.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f372...led-22287.html
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Crystal Lake , Illinois
It is, thank you. WE have the frozen lifters off and waiting to be soaked in WD40- and we think that we have figured it out. Thank you for your replies and for this forum.