Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
Cracked vent cover - 2005 Bambi

My husband and I took our 2005 19' Bambi out this weekend to a local campground and noticed that our vent cover over the bed is cracked on the edge portion that cranks upward when the vent is open, thus preventing it from sealing properly.

We don't think it's leaked inside the trailer yet and we did make it through a pretty good thunderstorm last night with no sign of leakage. On the way home though, the vent cover would pop open when the trailer hit a bump or was blown by the wind. We need to replace it ASAP.

We have 2 questions:
(A) Even though it may be covered by warranty, it's probably easier to fix it ourselves. What brand of replacement vent cover do we order - camping world has 3+ listed on their website...

(B) How do we go about switching it out? We are afraid to get on the roof and don't want to damage the trailer structure, so we were hoping we could get a tall ladder and try changing it from a ladder on the side of the trailer - what's the most feasible option? I weigh around 135 and my husband is about 180 -- will the roof support us if we need to climb up there?

Thanks!
desidou
AIR # 8298
desidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
If you have a Fantastic Fan, call their Service Departent the first thing tomorrow morning, and I'm sure they will ship you a replacement cover quickly. Plus, if you need help getting the old cover off and putting the new cover on, their service guy can walk you through the process on the telephone.

You can get on the roof of the trailer as long as most of your weight remains on one of the rivet lines that go across the top of the trailer.

I weigh about 200# and I've been on the top of my trailer several times during the past 2 weeks installing Maxxair Model 800 vent covers over my Fantastic fan vents, and had no problem doing so. The only thing I'm careful with is that I tie the ladder to the trailer - usually to an awning arm - so that it doesn't move when I'm on top of the trailer. I also place a rubber mat on top of the trailer to protect it.

John
Old 05-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
Thanks Flyfisher!

This cover isn't to the fantastic fan, but to the other vent in the trailer, which is just a vent - it doesn't have a fan. The front vent is where the fan is installed and that cover is fine (as far as we know at this point).

Do you think AS in Jackson Center could tell us where to get a replacement cover?

Thanks for the tip about getting on top of the trailer...we'll be sure to stay on the rivet lines when we're up there...

Desidou
AIR # 8298
desidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
This is neither a hard, nor an expensive fix. If your vent is the same as ours then you will need a 14 X 14 replacement lid for a Jensen vent.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...roductId=63110

When I first replaced ours (it became a regular item in after our cold winters until I protected the vents with a wooden cover) I took a picture of the vent and hinge set up to the RV Parts department to make sure I got the right one.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I just went down this road with my 05 Safari 25'. Mine took a "new style Jensen" type cap. It took me several hours of research to find it online. Check the pics and see if its the same one as you have.

Camping World sells it at this link:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...13423&src=SRQB

Another source:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-vents/rv-lid.htm

I had both mine fail, probably due to UV exposure.

I changed mine by going on the roof (205#). I could see no other option, and used the opportunity to polish the roof. The cap was easy to replace.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Gator1

2006 25' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Easy job, common part

I just did this job on one of my vents. The plastic pretty much disintigrated in a gust of wind. The plastic was very badly UV damaged and crumbled when handled. Interestingly, the other vent cover is not deteriorated the same way.

This is apparently a pretty high failure item since my local RV supply shop (which is tiny and famous for not having much) had a whole wall of vent covers in various styles and configurations. You want the Jensen New style for metal base. I paid $16.00.

The hardest part was heaving my 205# carcass up on to the roof. The installation involves sliding on a hinge, inserting a tab, and 2 screws - about 3 minutes.

Be careful up there!

Jim
Gator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
If it would help, here is the link to a thread, and the text to my message (message #278, if I recall) about the exact same problem with my 05 Bambi. I found one at a local RV center. I called Jackson Center and they sent a replacement in a few days, but I had to get a new one quick because of the weather. I'll guess I'll use the one JC sent when it disintegrates again next year. I treated the new one with some UV inhibitor, so it may last a few weeks longer than the original.

================================================== ====

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...tml#post299700

Vent Cap - FYI
I came home yesterday to find the rear vent cap on my 2005 Bambi broken away from the bracket and leaning against the air conditioner cover. We had some mild winds earlier in the day, but the vent was closed. Upon closer examination, the reason it broke was obvious. The plastic lid was brittle to the point it crumbled between my fingers. The trailer is still under warranty but, based on my past experiences, I had absolutely no expectations that I could make arrangements to get it fixed before the next weather event. I immediately e-mailed Airstream to find out if the part was an industry standard, or if I would have to get it from an AS dealership. As expected, it's over 24 hours later, and no response.

In the meantime, I photographed the vent cap with a digital camera, and took it to the local RV supply store. They had a replacement part that looked just like mine for under $17, and said if it didn't fit, I could return it. It turned out to be the exact replacement part. It was a bear to get on because of the close proximity to the AC unit, but it took about 30 minutes with some help.

For those who may experience the same problem, the part is made by Elixir Industries, and is called a "Jensen New Style Lid" - # 17-J7291.

NOTE: It was the cheapest vent cap in the store.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote