Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
cleaning/removing screen in bathfan

I have a ventline/dexter bath fan that I just cleaned with a vac and a toothbrush.

Originally I figured I would remove the screen to clean it properly, however removing the trim ring and then the two screws holding the screen to the handle, didn't provide any hints of an easy removal since the on/off button is integrated and I saw no disc's in the line. Seems removal is designed from above?

Anybody have experience? I don't do ladders any more so hopefully there is a way of dropping the unit/screen.

Suggestions and experience appreciated

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2647 (Large).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	338499  
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Just curious - was the vac/toothbrush not successful?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Pull the handle down and there are two screws holding the plastic handle to the metal arms. Once you get that off you should be able to remove the screen and unthread the switch.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Pull the handle down and there are two screws holding the plastic handle to the metal arms. Once you get that off you should be able to remove the screen and unthread the switch.
Thanks SC. I'll revisit. I got that far but need to pull the insulation back a bit and follow the leads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Just curious - was the vac/toothbrush not successful?
SSM...on the most part maybe 90% as it's a touch access. Maybe try a stiffer TBrush. However I'd really like to get up into the housing interior too as it's a bit grungy. Some of the passed thru material is scattered inside the housing...can't even read the label.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Thanks SC. I'll revisit. I got that far but need to pull the insulation back a bit and follow the leads.
Just to make sure we're talking about the same screws, the ones on the end of the handle like the picture? I removed those, then the two holding the screen and it fell out. I did not need to take the trim ring off. Looks like I need to clean mine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1663[1].jpg
Views:	158
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	338527  
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I'm following this thread since I too need to get mine open to clean. In my case I'm getting leaves and such in the fan and it appears that the only way to clean it properly is to open it from below.
ChuckZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Hmmmmm, don't know why it would seem difficult, I've been using the wife to do it and it works perfectly.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
You’re on the right track. Remove the trim ring screws and the trim ring. Then pull the handle down and remove the end screws and handle. You should be able to remove the screen now but not completely because the switch and wires run through it. But you can get it out far enough to get at it for a more thorough cleaning. You can also remove the fan exhaust cover on the roof if you need to take a top down approach (I had to do that to remove a hornets nest that was built inside my fan). While I was there, I replaced the weather strip that seals the fan when it’s in the closed position.

The pull-down handle on my fan snapped in the middle about a year ago. It’s a weak point in the design. I made a new oak handle which is a big improvement. Won’t ever have that problem again.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I brought in the handy shop-vac, hooked the hose to blow and sent the crud back from whence it came.😂
Turned the hose again sucked it good while brushing the screen...3min tops.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
I started to clean those screens with a small brush, but then wondered if compressed air in a can would work. Perfect. Mine were clean in seconds.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
My screen deteriorated after several years and I removed it and cut and glued in new screen. Works great but I did get a new screen for a back up. Still in the package in a drawer for future use.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Just to make sure we're talking about the same screws, the ones on the end of the handle like the picture? I removed those, then the two holding the screen and it fell out. I did not need to take the trim ring off. Looks like I need to clean mine!

Gee wally, that's a big DUH!!! totally missed the end screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Hmmmmm, don't know why it would seem difficult, I've been using the wife to do it and it works perfectly.

she loves to cook... I set up camp, make cocktails and do maintenance.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
What I found to be helpful in cleaning the vent fan in the shower and toilet area, is to put a small piece of painter tape, on one side of the ceiling and trim bezel screw opening, before removing the screws to ensure that the trim bezel gets reinstalled the same way it was removed. I have found that this ensures the screws line-up and if the worker at the factory trimmer the top section, to allow for the curve of the roof, it will make for better, hassle free cleaning event!. Hope this helps.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I replaced the screen in the bathroom. Over the years it had rusted and the replacement screen was cheap. I started to replace the screen in the shower but can't get to the handle screws. It appears that the space is deeper than the lav. Do I have to remove it from the roof to replace the screen?
Old 05-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
On my 2019 Flying Cloud the roof is to thick to be able to access the screws on the ends of the handle. Am I missing something?

“Be thankful we’re not getting all the government we’re paying for” Will Rogers
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
I just cleaned mine. I found it best to remove the trim ring, then the 2 screws above the handle, then unscrew the switch retainer. The screen can then be removed for easy cleaning. Marking the trim ring to position for installation is a good idea.
gbnichols is offline   Reply With Quote