Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #1

2007 23' Safari SE
Millersburg , Pennsylvania
Cleaning Fantastic Vent Fans

Is there a way to remove the fan blade from the motor shaft in order to clean the blade, vent area, and the inside of the dome cover?
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
The only way to clean the fan blade is manually, I've never successfully removed the blade. When a Fantastic motor started giving us trouble a few months ago, Fantastic sent a whole assembly, motor, fan and mount.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I cleaned mine about 6 weeks ago. Simply unscrew the screen from the inside. Pay due care to not chip paint from the screws if you want it to look original after you are done.

Clean the screen carefully with soap & water. Clean the fan blades with vinegar-water, wiping with a soft cloth afterward. Reinstall the screen. Looks clearer than clear!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
I had to get on the roof to replace the fantastic-dome and used the opporturnity to clean the blades while I was up-there. I found it an easier task.
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
I cleaned mine about 6 weeks ago. Simply unscrew the screen from the inside.
Fantastic now offers clip-in screens. The new screens just clip on, no screwing around required ... You can retrofit the new ones on the old frames with no modifications.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker View Post
I had to get on the roof to replace the fantastic-dome and used the opporturnity to clean the blades while I was up-there. I found it an easier task.
I did this and while I had the dome off I removed the screen from the dome as it is not needed with a screen already on the fan.

Installed a fantastic fan in the bathroom and even with the second screen off I could feel air being sent back as the Max vent slows flow. Fantastic vent directions said Max vent shouldn't be used with it, but we like to keep the vent open with or without fan running in all weather.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I picked up one of the new clip in screens for the Caravel in Quartzsite last January. Goes in and out nicely. No screws.

Just cleaned the screen and blades in the Excella. Someone, can't remember who, said that spraying with silicone spray after cleaning keeps dust and dirt from sticking. I sprayed, we'll see.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Cleaning between the fan blades' outer ring and the housing is very difficult. It is best done from above by removing 4 screws and lifting the entire fan unit out of the housing.
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #9

2007 23' Safari SE
Millersburg , Pennsylvania
Very difficult indeed with that fan ring in place. That's why I posted. Not ready to tackle the roof yet. Thanks.
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I cleaned ours this fall. I went on top of the trailer and took the fan body out and it was very easy to clean.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
the fan blade comes off the shaft

There is a set screw on the hub, just had both of mine off and cleaned them. No need to remove the motor, just the screen.
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy View Post
There is a set screw on the hub, just had both of mine off and cleaned them. No need to remove the motor, just the screen.
Maybe it's a "new" Fantastic thing, or sertain models. I just looked at all 3 of ours, and I'd have to break the blade assembly to get it off the motor shaft. All three are the taller-profile motors, if you have a low-profile, that may be the difference.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:31 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Margaritaville , Florida
Cleaning Fan-Tastic fan blade

Old thread, but adding this in case it's useful...

I needed to clean the fan blades and checked the instructions for the fan. It's a 3-speed fan with a manual lift vent on a 2019 Sport FB.

Instructions say to remove the Phillips screw that holds the blade on the motor shaft, and pull the blade off with hands spaced on opposite sides of the blade.

Well, I tried it and the blade broke leaving a piece on the shaft. That remaining piece came off the shaft easily, so I guess it can be done if you are extra careful.

Replacement is readily available, but must buy the blade with motor. Cost now is $35-40 at (Amazon, eTrailer, PantherRVProducts, etc.). Part #K8017-00

Next time I need to clean it, I'll do it from above and/or below with the fan blade left in place.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I have taken the fan blade off of our Fantastic fans many time, last time was just today. After removing the screw slowly pull down on the blades using both hands, sometime a slight wiggle of the blade helps. They are much harder to put back on as they need to be lined up with a flat part of the shaft.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
FF Blade cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I have taken the fan blade off of our Fantastic fans many time, last time was just today. After removing the screw slowly pull down on the blades using both hands, sometime a slight wiggle of the blade helps. They are much harder to put back on as they need to be lined up with a flat part of the shaft.

Gary
What Gary said. We have had 2 late model AS, 2017 International 23D and a 2019 FC 25 RBT and the fan blades in both of them came right off after removing the little screw that holds it on the motor shaft. Takes maybe 2 minutes to remove, rinse off, and replace. The screen pops right out to get to the blade. Super simple, super easy.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote