Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Cleaning bathroom vent

friends,

i need help. how can i clean the vent in the bathroon w/o a total disassembly?

this is in a 2005 22' ccd international that i recently bought.

can i remove the 3 screws and drop the unit down from the inside?

i do not want to replace the entire unit, not do i want to do anyrthing
from the outside roof.

i'd like to be albe to clean the grill and fan but everything looks inter-connected.

all advise would be greatly apreciated.

thanks,

az-streamer

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_6701.jpg
Views:	1899
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	85477  
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Cleaning bathroom vent screen.

Hi, I have done this several times, but don't like doing it. First you need to pull the handle down. Then remove the two screws on the ends of the handle. Now you can get access to the two screws holding the screen in place. The bad part, is that the switch won't come out of the screen unless you cut the wires. So I let mine hang by the switch wires, use a brush, and vacuum cleaner alternately until clean. Then put it all back together. It would have been a lot easier if the switch wires had a connector on them so you can remove the screen all-together. I guess you could open the vent and use compressed air to blow it out the top, but I'm not sure it would get the screen totally clean and not damage something in the process.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
bob,

thanks for the quick reply. i guess i'll try what you suggested. at least i won't have to remove the 3 screws holdng the main rim on.

you're right about the wires. a connector would have been nice.

obviously, at som point an owner will want/need to clean this area.

again thaks,

az-streamer
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Update. Cleaning bathroom vent screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have done this several times, but don't like doing it. First you need to pull the handle down. Then remove the two screws on the ends of the handle. Now you can get access to the two screws holding the screen in place. The bad part, is that the switch won't come out of the screen unless you cut the wires. So I let mine hang by the switch wires, use a brush, and vacuum cleaner alternately until clean. Then put it all back together. It would have been a lot easier if the switch wires had a connector on them so you can remove the screen all-together. I guess you could open the vent and use compressed air to blow it out the top, but I'm not sure it would get the screen totally clean and not damage something in the process.
Hi, as we all know cleaning the bathroom vent screen is a pain in the ***. I can't totally blame Airstream for this because they didn't actually make this vent, but bought it elsewhere and installed it. The main problem is, that when you need to clean the vent screen, it would be nice if it could be removed for this job. But you can't remove it because the switch pushes in place from the outside [bottom] and the wires were made without connectors. So, finally today, I fixed mine by replacing that cheap plastic rotary switch with a toggle switch. Now to remove my vent screen, I remove the two handle screws, the two vent screws, and the knurled switch nut. Now I can really clean my screen. These pictures will show the change.

(1.) First remove the handle. [two screws] Then remove the screen. [two screws] Remove the guard plate. [one screw] And cut the two wires on the rotary switch.

(2.) This is all the pieces removed and the new toggle switch.

(3.) New toggle switch installed with crimp connectors.

(4.) Re-install the guard plate, install the toggle switch by removing the base nut so the switch will fit flat onto the inside of the screen, [the hole in the screen is a little bit larger than the threaded shaft of the switch] and make sure you install the "OFF / ON" plate [to cover the oversized hole] and tighten by hand the knurled nut. Put the screen and handle back on.

Next time I need to clean my vent screen, I will remove the four screws holding the handle and screen in place, the knurled nut holding my switch, and the screen will be ready for any way I want to clean it. Today I used the garden hose with a flat spray pattern.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1419 (Large).JPG
Views:	282
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	92902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1420 (Large).JPG
Views:	297
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	92903  

Name:	IMG_1421 (Large).JPG
Views:	249
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	92904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1422 (Large).JPG
Views:	252
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	92905  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 12-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Nice mod, Bob, and timely. I was looking at mine a couple of days ago, and was thinking it would be a bit troublesome to clean. Thanks for posting a solution.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
2006 30' Classic S/O
Pine Bluff , Arkansas
az-streamer
I recently cleaned my vent screen and was very pleased with the results....without loosening screws or wires...you will need an old toothbrush, mixture of water and "simple green" cleaner, spray bottle of clean water and several old towels....cover the area below the fan with the towels then use the simple green solution and toothbrush to clean the screen (gravity will help keep the water from getting on the electric parts so be ready to dodge falling water)...use the spray bottle of water to rinse, dry screen and you are done....I worked on a small section at a time and the drip was easier to control.....looks like new

glogeo
glogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I guess I must be lucky because to clean my screen I just have to remove the two screws holding the handle, then the two screws holding the screen and out falls the screen. My '85 Sovereign has a switch on the wall for the fan next to the second water pump switch.
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Minor update.

Hi, I previously stated to tighten the new switch knurled nut by hand, but I will change that to use pliers to tighten the knurled nut.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Vent-line bath fan

The top of the bathroom fan that raises with a switch needs to be cleaned on the inside. How do you get to that? I removed 4 screws - that just dropped the plastic "frame" out but I have to get through the screen to the lift-up lid. There are two screws I thought would remove the screen, but did not. Thanks for any assistance. Hopefully that made sense! No picture - 06 Classic. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The 1st time I cleaned the vent out,the wires stayed intact. The next time I will be cutting them. I'll use bullet type crimp connectors for easy future removal.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
This is why this forum is so great. I am getting our trailer ready for its first outing of the year and my bath fan needs cleaning. Thank you everyone for sharing .

Now back to the trailer

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Update.

Hi, on our last trip, [we went to Las Vegas] my wife commented on how much better and easier it was to turn the bathroom vent fan on and off, with the new toggle switch.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
So out of curiosity. I have two of these in my trailer. One in the bathroom and one up front right next to a lighted vent fan. One doesnt work and they other one makes loud noises. Is just cleaning the screens enough to quiet them, or is there a way to clean the motor and lube it up? Electronics spray or something? Just wondering. I also have one of the regular vent fans that is starting to make noise as well. Doesn't look like anything is up there. It is just starting to make noise. Sign of eminent death?

Matt
flyfishrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
Vic &Sally

2008 27' Classic FB
Titusville , Pennsylvania
If only the screen itself is dirty, try wiping it with a thick damp microfiber cloth. I have done this with my screens at home for years now. No more windex, vinegar, hose, etc. I takes about 1/4 the time to clean the screen, and it's just as clean. Today I tried it on my 2008 Airstream Classic bathroom and shower vents, and they look great. And I didn't have to disassemble the vent.
sallybowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Topeka , Kansas
I use an air compressor and just blow the stuff out through the vent.
Tik-Tok is offline   Reply With Quote