Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Blown away.

Hello everyone,

Well I guess I am a new member to the family so please go easy on me. I just purchased a new to me A/S 1963/64 Globe Trotter. After being assured by the previous owner that the two vent roof covers would be O.K., they blew off and are gone. So now I have two holes in the roof which I will seal up later today.

Any recommendations are welcomed, I have already looked them up on vintage trailer supply, but they only sell the cover for the larger opening. I also will need the hardware to secure them, which blew away with the vent covers, any suggestions ?

Thanks

Ken
njloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Pictures please.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Yeowch. I don't suppose it'd be worth retracing the steps where they were thought to have blown off? Sure would be cool if they're quietly sitting in a grassy culvert somewhere, waiting for you. They aren't necessarily together, but it's possible the larger front one knocked off the rear and they're close by. I don't have another suggestion at this point, but others may chime in.

Anyhow Ken... best of luck, welcome to the forums, and hope your next post will be happier news.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Put a Fantastic Fan in one of the holes. If you don't plan an AC for the other....put another Fantastic there. You will not regret having both AC and Fantastics.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Are they 14"?

I have two. One original, and the other is aluminum made by Vintage Campers of Peru, IN. I replaced the originals with Fantastic Vents. They came off a 1963. Also, explain what you mean by hardware?

Let me know if they would work
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Tried to get the pictures, no good, still learning how to post pictures and I goofed up something so they will have to come later.

One opening is 25" x 14" and the other is a little less than 14 x 14.

The hardware is what I think they call vent operators.

and

I found a post about replacing this and it should help, right now I have to also figure out how to light the stove and the heater. Don't know if they really work or not. I guess I really have my work cut out for me, wish I had an owners manual, I have to guess and see what happens.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
I have two 14" X 14" lids, but only one pair of openers.

One of the lids is original, the other is a nicely made repo that was made by Dan Piper of Vintage Campers. You can buy a repo 14" X 25" from vintage campers.
WBCCI #1200
Old 07-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Mike, I sent you a PM. Also, the hardware I mentioned is like the piece hanging off of the vent in the picture. I later found out it is called a vent operator.

Thanks

Ken
Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Here are pictures of the two 14" X 14" vint lids that I have. I have replaced them with Fantastic Vents. There was nothing wrong with them when I removed them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	135545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	135546  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	135547   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	135548  

WBCCI #1200
Old 07-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Blown away.

Greetings Ken!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

You will find quite a bit of company in the 1963/1964 era owners. Our coaches originally were equipped with LaDue operators that are now obsolete -- but -- at least at one time, Inland RV had reproductions available that worked well for me on my 1964 Overlanders. The members who are offering you original metal vents are offering you the best possible replacements as the metal parts will seal better and last longer than any plastic parts you will find. I did, however, switch my coach over to Fantastic Vents after my originals were destroyed by a spring storm in 1998. I have a reproduction plastic dome cover on the large 14" x 25" vent in the living room with the Inland RV reproduction operators. See this link for the reproduction LaDue Operators at Inland RV -- link.

Just as a caution. If your coach was not equipped with air conditioning when purchased, an air conditioner would not be located in one of the vent openings. On our Vintage coaches, the air conditioners were located in an opening cut a measured distance from the number one bow at the front of the coach. An Airstream dealer or service center should be able to provide you with this measurement.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Thanks for the information Kevin.

Besides the vent problem I have, the biggest problem I am facing is not knowing how things work. The previous owner since 2008 used the trailer a few times but did not use any of the creature comforts, meaning heater, water, shower, water heater, he basically was tent camping, and since there is no paper work on how to do these things, it's kind of trying to figure things out without blowing anything up.

I try to get info. off of here but that isn't easy either because we all have different problems and models. An example would be, I know what a converter is, but I don't think there is one in the GT, or at least I can't find it. So does my battery get charged or not ?, I don't even know how many water tanks are in it, I can see the front water tank and the pump, and I can see the black water tank that sits under the toilet, but no gray water tank. I don't even know how to set them up, and am afraid of overflowing water into the trailer. So it's a dilemma that I have to deal with and the roof vents come first to keep it water tight, I hope.

Ken
Old 07-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Openers on EBAY right now.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I made my own front cover out of congregated Lexan at low cost and it has worked well for 20 years. There should be a picture here somewhere.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Blown away.

Greetings Ken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njloco View Post
The previous owner since 2008 used the trailer a few times but did not use any of the creature comforts, meaning heater, water, shower, water heater, he basically was tent camping, and since there is no paper work on how to do these things, it's kind of trying to figure things out without blowing anything up.
Since there is a question whether your coach is a 1963 or 1964, there are some points where the answer will be impacted by this difference.
  • Furnace -- Whether 1963 or 1964, you likely have an International Oil furnace (assuming the original hasn't been replaced by a previous owner). These International Oil furnaces were noted for problems with the heat exchanger units that made them carbon monoxide producers so the general warning is to not attempt operation of these devices.
  • Water -- The onboard system did differ between 1963 and 1964 according to my notes. In the 1963 model, the water system was a pressurized utilizing a Schrader Valve attachment on the fill port on the exterior of the coach or via an air pump mounted near the steel or aluminum water pressure tank/cylinder (usually under front lounge). In 1964, the switch was made to a demand water system that utilized a plastic water tank with a Peters and Russel water pump that operated when any water faucet was opened. The placement of the water tank in 1964 varied by model, but was usually located over or very near the axle(s). I am not absolutely certain where the city water connection was on the 1963, but in 1964, the city water supply was connected via a fitting on the streetside rear frame member near the bumper.
  • Water Heater -- Whether 1963 or 1964, the original water heater was likely a Bowen. These Bowen water heaters were very durable, but if it is still present, it will be at or approaching the end of its service life. You can find lighting and operation instructions posted several places here on the Forums, and there is also quite a bit of information about the various installed features on our coaches in the reference section of the Airstream corporate website.
Quote:
I try to get info. off of here but that isn't easy either because we all have different problems and models. An example would be, I know what a converter is, but I don't think there is one in the GT, or at least I can't find it. So does my battery get charged or not ?
  • Univolt (Power Converter) -- This is one of those issues where you won't find a converters (at least as originally equipped) if your coach is a 1963, but you will (or should) if your coach is a 1964. In 1964, the Univolt was found in the One-Stop-Service-Compartment at the rear of the coach (usually in the streetside corner) behind a panel that includes the Reverse-Polarity-Light as well as the Shore-Power/Battery Power switch.
  • Battery -- Typically, the battery in a 1963 coach was usually located in a long, rectangular box below the front window (I am not 100% certain on this, but believe that this was the last year for this location), and the battery used was of a type used in similar vintage farm tractors. Charging was via connection to the tow vehicle's charging system. In 1964, the battery was relocated to the One-Stop-Service-Compartment at the rear of the coach -- the battery's location was typically curbside corner below the bathtub. In 1964, the battery was typically the more recognizable Group 24 size. The 1964 coaches charged their batteries via the Univolt as well as through connection to the tow vehicle's charging system.
Quote:
I don't even know how many water tanks are in it, I can see the front water tank and the pump, and I can see the black water tank that sits under the toilet, but no gray water tank. I don't even know how to set them up, and am afraid of overflowing water into the trailer. So it's a dilemma that I have to deal with and the roof vents come first to keep it water tight, I hope.
  • Your coach should have the following tanks as originally equipped, and this doesn't vary significantly whether it is a 1963 or 1964.
    • Fresh Water -- the fresh water tank that you have observed in the front of your coach is its only fresh water tank, and it probably holds in the vicinity of 30 gallons of fresh water.
    • Black Water -- the black water tank that you have observed located below your toilet is the coach's only waste tank and it likely holds approximately 12 gallons.
    • Gray Water (Wash Water) -- gray water tanks did not become standard features until 1974, so the gray water in our Vintage Coaches exits ahead of the black tank dump valve and was permitted to drain onto the ground -- since draining onto th ground is no longer an accepted practice, most Vintage coach owners have either added gray water tanks or carry "blue boy tanks" to collect the gray water so that it may be disposed of properly.
From your descriptions, I am nearly certain that your coach is a 1963 as in 1964 the black water tank would be located under the floor and the fresh water pump would have been in the one-stop-service-compartment located in the rear of the coach. In either case, you may find that the dump valve assembly is a brass valve that is no longer available and requires dump hose adapters that are no longer available. Should your coach still have its original dump valve, and the coach did not come with the original dump hose fittings -- you will likely be left with the task of converting to either of the "modern" alternatives -- either Thetford or Valterra dump valve and fittings. The Valterra is the less expensive alternative, but the Thetford is much better built, but that better quality has a greater cost associated with the quality. In either case, the dump valve assembly should be very nearly under the black water tank.

You might find some of the following links helpful as you become acquainted with your coach:Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Hello Kevin,

I appreciate this information.

This past owner said it was a 1964, but I think he was mistaken , and I am pretty sure it is a 63, and that is why I changed it on my profile, in fact one of the sets of key holders he gave me say 63 A/S and he didn't even realize this.

Hope fully this works,

This next picture is of the AC cable,

Out side hot water heater,

Inside hot water heater,

This next one is of the inside of the refrigerator,

It says I can run this on DC, but my question would, is that off the battery ?, if so how long will the battery last ?, and how does it get recharged ?

So much to learn, and so little time.

Thanks

Ken
Old 07-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Old Bridge , New Jersey
The pics. didn't get posted in proper order, and some not at all, the Ac cable is of coarse the DC cable. As you can see it seems to be in pretty good shape, we'll see if things work pretty soon.

Thanks

Ken
Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Blown away.

Greetings Ken!

I am fairly confident that your hunch is correct and your coach is a 1963. What I can comment based upon your photos:
  • The original furnace exhaust vent is present on the streetside of your coach so the original furnace may very well be in its cabinet behind the exhaust vent.
  • The photo of the exterior of the water heater has the appearance of an original Bowen, but it appears that the LP line and controls are missing -- otherwise, the heater appears to be in remarkably good condition (lack of visible rust/corrosion).
  • I am fairly confident that the compartment on the curbside is where the battery would reside, and it appears that it likely accommodates the Group 24 battery rather than the farm implement battery of earlier years. The battery would still be charged through a charge line from the tow vehicle's charging system.
  • The message about DC on the refrigerator puzzles me. I suspect that the refrigerator is likely not the original unit found in the coach from the factory. During this period of time, most of the Dometic refrigerators utilized in Airstreams were either strictly LP or LP/120-Volt. DC refrigerators didn't become available until sometime in the late 1970s unless I am totally mistaken (which is a possibility).
If the coach's refrigerator is truly a 12-volt, you will definitely need some method of auxilliary charging as the DC refrigerator in my Overlander takes a significant amount of energy to maintain cool -- at least with my 1999 DC refrigerator initial cooling needs to be done with either LP or 120-volt electric.

Just a suggestion - - if you want help understanding the operation of any appliances/accessories in your coach -- a make and model number along with a photo can be of great help in gaining the necessary information.

Good luck with your investigation - - getting acquainted with a new coach is always interesting!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
That is a 63. 64's had fewer segments in the hemisphere. The burner is missing from the water heater, so you likely need to replace it. There was no converter in many of the 63's so you will need to install a battery charger or converter. The refrigerator is not original. The outside metal looks good. Teardrop running lights are cheap through PLL. Orange in front and Red in the back.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Thanks to both of you for the information. As far as the marker lights go, what is PLL ?

I do have the original Carlson furnace LP heater, first chance I get I will make sure nothing is blocking the LP lines. It does not make any noise when I turn the gas on and the pilot won't light.

I do have the gas valve for the water heater, I haven' hooked it up yet because I am so lost with everything else, but thanks to people like all of you I know I will get the hang of it.