Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Best Roof fan out there?

We are considering the installation of 2 or may be 3 fans on our 31Ft.
After reviewing most of the threads about it, it seems like we will be getting a set of Maxxfans or Fantasticfans.
We will also like to place some silver metallic covers to keep the look of the AS.
Will love some input from fulltimers that love fresh air. We might be a little too much into the fresh air but the ideal scenario for us will be to have at least 1 or 2 fans running all day.
But if we run it all day wouldn't they burn in few weeks?
thanks
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
We have two of the fan-tastic vents. The things we like about them are they can either blow in or out and they have rain sensors in them. Now about making them silver, I would use Krylon Fusion spray paint in the nickle silver color.Two years ago I broke the plastic cover for our propane tanks. The new ones only come in black ABS, the original was silver so I painted it with the Krylon Fusion. It has been two winters in northen Ohio and a couple of weeks in Dallas Texas last July. So far no chipping, fading or peeling. I wish you well. Mark McVicker (4451)
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
We have two of the fan-tastic vents. The things we like about them are they can either blow in or out and they have rain sensors in them.
Now about making them silver, I would use Krylon Fusion spray paint in the nickle silver color.
Hello Mark
Thanks for the response.
How often do you use the fans? We are looking to be full timers for 1 year or so and we really love fresh air.
We like the feature of blowing air in & out. We were thinking on having one blowing in and the other out but not sure how long would they last on a "heavy duty" constant use.
As far as the silver cover we were thinking on something that will allow us to use them even during the rain like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00-933076_slvr_side-500x500.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	153178  
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Either Fantastic or Maxx is a quality product. I've got Fantastic and love it, but Maxx owners swear by theirs also. I don't think anyone has better customer service than Fantastic. One point: Fantastic will tell you that putting your Fantastic Vent under a Maxxair cover will reduce airflow by a very large percentage ... there's data about this on their web site. So when I had mine installed (at the factory, no charge!), bye-bye Maxx cover. I've not regretted it, but then again, haven't been wanting to ventillate hard in pouring rain, either.

And I assume your other question is whether, if you leave it running all the time, won't it burn itself out in a couple of weeks? Based upon my experience, the answer is "no" with Fantastic, and I bet the same for Maxx. These things are designed to be run.

Do, also check out the Fantastic portable 12v. fan ... it plugs into a 12v. outlet and provides a lot of interior air movement at the usual low Fantastic current draw. Very nice on a hot day if you're boondocking.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Forget the MaxxAir cover. Just get the MaxxFan Deluxe which has the built in cover so you can use it blowing in or out rain or shine. It closes flush so you don't have the aerodynamic drag and ugliness of a bulky cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deluxe_maxxfan_manual_control.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	153180  
Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I just contacted Fantastic Fan within the last hour to replace the trim rings on the interior of my 2000 Excella that had cracked (---probably from heat.) All they asked for was my mailing address and then told me that the trim rings were on the way - no charge! They stand behind their product!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This is my personal opinion, I believe I am entitled to it;

Anything, I mean anything higher than the original roof vent destroys the lines of the trailer. Many do not care or feel the same, and I respect that, but for me those big boxes up there just look horrible.
I am sincerly sorry if my personal opinion offends any of you. I did not intend to. Again, this is my personal opinion.

That said; My shop installs Fantastic Vents exclusively. I will install the dome type lid but try very hard to steer them toward the flat lids. They are the closest to the original look. I am fortunate to be able to order directly from Fantastic Vent and they build each vent as I want them. There are many more possibilities than commonly sold.

Once again, this is my personal opinion. It has strongly influenced my business. Fantastic Vent's, beyond the expected, customer service has strongly influenced my customer loyalty...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBullet View Post
We are considering the installation of 2 or may be 3 fans on our 31Ft.
After reviewing most of the threads about it, it seems like we will be getting a set of Maxxfans or Fantasticfans.
We will also like to place some silver metallic covers to keep the look of the AS.
Will love some input from fulltimers that love fresh air. We might be a little too much into the fresh air but the ideal scenario for us will be to have at least 1 or 2 fans running all day.
But if we run it all day wouldn't they burn in few weeks?
thanks
Check out Vintage Trailer Supply. They have Fantastic Vents in Gray. I installed 4 vents. Fantastic Vent after sale service is second to none.

Fan-Tastic Fan Vent
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post

Anything, I mean anything higher than the original roof vent destroys the lines of the trailer. Many do not care or feel the same, and I respect that, but for me those big boxes up there just look horrible.
I am sincerly sorry if my personal opinion offends any of you. I did not intend to. Again, this is my personal opinion.

Once again, this is my personal opinion. It has strongly influenced my business. Fantastic Vent's, beyond the expected, customer service has strongly influenced my customer loyalty...
Ditto.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander

That said; My shop installs Fantastic Vents exclusively. I will install the dome type lid but try very hard to steer them toward the flat lids. They are the closest to the original look. I am fortunate to be able to order directly from Fantastic Vent and they build each vent as I want them. There are many more possibilities than commonly sold.

After reading 62overlanders post I don't know why anyone would buy anything else. I'm buying fantastic fans!
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post

Oviously, there's nothing wrong with that opinion, and if I owned a vintage coach, I'd probably be inclined to make NO changes ... but with my "newer" coach, I like the comofrt and functionality provided by my air conditioner, vents, and solar panels. I'm sure each of us has his/her own opinions, and we use our coaches in different ways, etc. That's why it's so neat to go to a rally and see all the different ways in which folks arrive at "their own" perfect solutions!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Airs, agree 100%
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you paint the cover of a fan with a rain sensor, it may render the sensor inoperable. They don't work when they are dirty, so paint would be worse, I would think.

I find the myriad controls on the FF difficult to figure out. One thing cancels another, or is needed to be switched for something else to work. I wish I had the one with the remote so I wouldn't have to look up into the sunlight and try to remember how I did it last time. These switches are not intuitive.

You can get ones that can reverse, or rewire an exhaust fan to an intake fan. I rewired one of ours for better airflow. Do not have the fan close to a soil stack on intake as you will bring in sewer smell.

I know nothing about the Maxx, but lewster swears by it. Frank loves FF. This proves that experts disagree just like the rest of us.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have both Fantastic Fan and MaxxFan. I like them both. Fantastic Fan has great service. MaxxFan can be used when towing, or in the rain. The controls for both are pretty much identical.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
wow....thanks guys for the fast response! And still seems to be between the 2 brands but more likely to the FF.
Now the big question is if we can let them on all day how long will they last?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fan motors are very old technology and can run for years. Eventually you will have to replace the brushes (they are cheap).

Gene
Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
I have to say Fantastic Fan. I have put them in 3 Airstreams. I got mine from Vintage Trailer, ordered with flat grey cover, rain sensor and they offer a interior trim that mates to the curved ceiling. They have all worked extermely well.
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Would trade you the remote for without

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I wish I had the one with the remote so I wouldn't have to look up into the sunlight and try to remember how I did it last time. These switches are not intuitive.

Gene
The remote is never where I want it to be.....it resides on the wall of the refrigerator (forward fan) and in the upper bin (rear fan) and they don't always work.....think it is just as easy to turn them on manually. Also, the first remotes I had had tiny screws to remove to replace the batteries.....they replaced them with easier ones to replace the batteries and new rain sensors and they walked me through the change. great customer service. The fantastik vents are the best airconditioning we have.....rarely use the air conditioner...paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
one more vote for fan-tastic!
they now sell covers too!
products
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Although Fantastic Fan says you can leave the vent open when you drive, try convincing my wife of that. The advantage of open vents is to keep temps down in the summer. The cover may convince her it is ok. Amazon will have them soon for $46.

Gene