Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
How well does the interior trim on the maxxfan fit a vintage airstream? I'm really liking the look of these, but it looks like I'd need to do a custom trim piece for it.

-Hans
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Although Fantastic Fan says you can leave the vent open when you drive, try convincing my wife of that. The advantage of open vents is to keep temps down in the summer. The cover may convince her it is ok. Amazon will have them soon for $46.

Gene
The FV seems to werk the best, but it IS kinda yougly.
Still have the best CS though.
Bob
Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHaase View Post
How well does the interior trim on the maxxfan fit a vintage airstream? I'm really liking the look of these, but it looks like I'd need to do a custom trim piece for it.

-Hans
Virtually identical to the Fantastic Fan. You don't need a custom trim piece. I have both in my 71 Tradewind
Old 03-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Although Fantastic Fan says you can leave the vent open when you drive, try convincing my wife of that. The advantage of open vents is to keep temps down in the summer. The cover may convince her it is ok. Amazon will have them soon for $46.

Gene
I seem to run down the road a lot with mine open. It happens not because I am trying to keep her cool, but instead, because of all the things on my check list, "close Fantastic Vent" is the one I always seem to forget to check off.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We have those covers on our vents (one is a Fantastic Vent, the other is one that's integrated with the front lights...not sure what brand those are). I'm not a huge fan of them - I think they make the fan run louder.

On the other hand, I am taking advantage of them: Our trailer has a barn smell to it that we haven't been able to eradicate, so I have both vents open (fans off) to help air out the camper, with no worries that rain is going to get in.

So I'm torn. I hate seeing them up there - they're ugly - but they're coming in very handy right now. I've wanted to remove the one that's on the FF since it has the rain sensor anyway, but I couldn't air out the camper like I'm doing right now without it. Since the barn smell issue is MUCH worse than the aesthetic issue, they'll probably stay on.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I just contacted Fantastic Fan within the last hour to replace the trim rings on the interior of my 2000 Excella that had cracked (---probably from heat.) All they asked for was my mailing address and then told me that the trim rings were on the way - no charge! They stand behind their product!
We have been very happy with our Fantastic Fan, since we resolved the chronic leaks from the crazy-poor factory install.

Doug completely removed the fan and replaced everything from the bottom up, with the kit sent for free by Fantastic Fan.

Love that kind of customer service.

Maggie
Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Since the barn smell issue is MUCH worse than the aesthetic issue, they'll probably stay on.
I am a huge fan of Oxy-Clean to deodorize.

Our first RV was a 77 Barth, whose owner smoked continuously. A thorough scrub of the carpet with Oxy-Clean removed all odor.

Assuming you have scrubbed down and cleaned everything you can, if there is carpet cleaning it thoroughly with above-named product may help.

Maggie
Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
"sent for free by Fantastic Fan."

5 year old covers started to leak under the very carefully applied caulking, cracked at the hinge base's from over tightening at install.

New ones sent free after hearing the word, "cracked".

The company recently changed ownership but it seems the customer service has remained intact.

Bob
Old 03-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I installed Maxfan's in my old AS and really liked them. I liked that they could run in the rain and going down the road. They were quiet. My new trailer came with a Fantastic Fan, and it is also a quality product. Works well.

I am partial to the Maxfan because of the ability to run in the rail and going down the road, but both are great and you can't make a bad decision with either one.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
OMHO, but in damp rainy weather is when you want the ventilation. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Although Fantastic Fan says you can leave the vent open when you drive, try convincing my wife of that.
Wow. Do all wives compare notes? Must be what they do on those knitting forums and in all of those book clubs...

All Fantastic Fans in the Minuet, and I can also attest to the excellent customer service. Got a new motor assembly 2.1 years after purchase by warranty, no muss, no fuss.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #32
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I removed both Fantastic Fans from my new trailer and installed the Maxxfans. The remote control is extremely handy, the fan has 10 speeds, you can have them open while you tow, and they are very, very quiet. Nothing wrong with the FF's, but the Maxxfans provide more options and zero issues with inop rain sensors...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I removed both Fantastic Fans from my new trailer and installed the Maxxfans. The remote control is extremely handy, the fan has 10 speeds, you can have them open while you tow, and they are very, very quiet. Nothing wrong with the FF's, but the Maxxfans provide more options and zero issues with inop rain sensors...
How long ago did you replace the fans? Do you still have them?
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
If you paint the cover of a fan with a rain sensor, it may render the sensor inoperable. They don't work when they are dirty, so paint would be worse, I would think....

Gene
The rain sensors are under the cover on the inside of the fan. Painting the outside of the cover has no effect whatsoever. I have two coats of Super Therm on mine.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Vaughan, that's interesting. The technology as I understand it is there are wires on the cover surface and when a drop of rain rests on both sides of the circuit, it closes the circuit and closes the cover (cover goes up and down a lot in a very light shower). In the 1990's skylights were available with this feature. I would think anything painted on the surface would make it impossible for the water to reach the wires.

Maybe this is different technology or magic.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Vaughan, that's interesting. The technology as I understand it is there are wires on the cover surface and when a drop of rain rests on both sides of the circuit, it closes the circuit and closes the cover (cover goes up and down a lot in a very light shower). In the 1990's skylights were available with this feature. I would think anything painted on the surface would make it impossible for the water to reach the wires.

Maybe this is different technology or magic.

Gene
Gene,

The sensor is under the cover in the lower right corner with hinge at the top.
Wipe it down regularly wit a wet rag and that's enough to keep it working.

Bob
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
I find the myriad controls on the FF difficult to figure out. One thing cancels another, or is needed to be switched for something else to work. I wish I had the one with the remote so I wouldn't have to look up into the sunlight and try to remember how I did it last time. These switches are not intuitive.

Gene
Well said !!!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I have some Maxx covers, over the original vents. No fuss, don't even care if my vents are up or down other than I should shut them when it's cold, or open if it's too hot. Nothing running a battery down unless I leave the orig vent fan running. Someday I'll get around to a reversible switch so I can blow cleaner air in and pressure the dust out.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I am a huge fan of Oxy-Clean to deodorize.

Our first RV was a 77 Barth, whose owner smoked continuously. A thorough scrub of the carpet with Oxy-Clean removed all odor.

Assuming you have scrubbed down and cleaned everything you can, if there is carpet cleaning it thoroughly with above-named product may help.
Yeah, we've done a LOT of cleaning. It's not too bad when we're using the trailer, but it seems to accumulate when it's stored. I ate some peanut butter cups recently that had a distinct camper taste to them... and they were in a plastic bag when they were in the camper!

I had a thread about the issue a while back. Thanks for the Oxy-Clean suggestion. If nothing else, it made me go back and re-read that thread to see what we haven't tried yet.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #40
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
RJ, is this a barnyard smell or is it more like a medicinal one? Barnyard smells are generally gifts left behind by visitors in the insulation, a medicinal smell comes from the decomposition of the subfloor. The cleaning might be in vain if the barn yard smell is coming from the insulation or the medicinal smell is coming from the floor. These situations are very common and that is why us restorers are always trying to tear it down to the axles.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote