Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Bedroom Vent Interior Cover

As I have an eye condition that is bothered by direct sunlight, I am trying to find (make) a temporary cover that is installed inside my bedroom vent so that the early morning light that comes through the vent doesn't bother my eyes. Your ideas will be appreciated.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
What brand vent do you have now? What you have will make a difference as to what is suggested.
For example, if you have a Fantastic Vent, you can get a solid white cover, or a solid grey cover.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I have the standard vents - even without a fan. I am planning to install fantastic fans at some point. Is there a difference between fantastic fan and a fantastic vent?

Thanks.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Vent Cover

Hi, willyd. I just did that. I bought a vent cover from Camping World, it was white plastic, has a cross lattice pattern look, and comes with four corner holders. I cut the cover down in size. I cut the corner holders to fit. [I made it fit so I would not have to make new holes] I used the four screws that hold the vent bezel in place. Only problem was that the crank handle was too low, so I had to remove it. Later I bought a window knob [round black plastic] Now I can have a cover on my rear vent to block the light or take it off [slide it out] and have a knob to turn the vent crank to open it. Works great.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I have the standard vents - even without a fan. I am planning to install fantastic fans at some point. Is there a difference between fantastic fan and a fantastic vent?

Thanks.
There is really no difference, other than a Fantastic fan has a fan, and a Fantastic Vent is just a vent. Most people don't realize they can get a fanless vent.
You can get a Fantastic Fan from Vintage Trailer Supply with a silver lid, it blends in a little better on our silver trailers, though I don't know if they let in any light at all when closed.
Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mansfield , Massachusetts
Bob,
Can you post a photo of what you have done? I hate the sun waking me at 5 in the morning when I am on vacation!
Thanks,
Kat
corgikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
shreveport , Louisiana
If you don't want to spend any money and need a quick fix just cut out a piece of cardboard, punch a whole where the handle is. Blocks out all the sun. It usually comes out going down the road. I've used mine since I bought my Bambi. Cheap, easy and quick.
anneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Also had problem with too much sunlight coming in during the first sun. I went to Camping World and bought the Maxair Vent Cover (Smoke color). I wanted the black to minimize the light that comes in, but the Smoke vent cover was more then enough. Mounts easily over the existing standard vent. Price was $29.95 here in SoCal. Took less then an hour to install. (Easy).

Rick )

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Vent Cover

Hi, here are some pictures of my vent cover. It is white plastic with chrome bubble insulation on the top side. As I stated earlier, I modified it to fit useing the Airstream bezel screw locations. It really blocks out the light. Note the black plastic window knob I used to be able to slide the cover on and off because the crank handle was too low. On the cover I trimmed all four sides and re-rounded the corners. Also on the corner brackets, I cut them down a bit too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0019 (Large).JPG
Views:	160
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	64022   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0020 (Large).JPG
Views:	154
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	64023  

Name:	PICT0021 (Large).JPG
Views:	232
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	64024   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0022 (Large).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	64025  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
My vent covers on my '72 overlander have totaly disintigrated... Looking for new ones, I tried Camping world and they had none that would fit. The hinges were all different. Calling My local A/S dealer, they said they had a few of the white ones for $50 a piece and then Inland RV has the smoke ones at $80 a piece. If the only difference is the hinge, why are the ones at Camping World only $15 and the others so expensive? The A/S's don't come with any mounting hardware anyway. They said I have to rivet the old hardware on myself.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPdrums View Post
My vent covers on my '72 overlander have totaly disintigrated... Looking for new ones, I tried Camping world and they had none that would fit. The hinges were all different. Calling My local A/S dealer, they said they had a few of the white ones for $50 a piece and then Inland RV has the smoke ones at $80 a piece. If the only difference is the hinge, why are the ones at Camping World only $15 and the others so expensive? The A/S's don't come with any mounting hardware anyway. They said I have to rivet the old hardware on myself.
Caping Worlds cover are made with a cheap plastic that has a short life. They also do not have a thermal barrier.

Airstream does not have solar gray covers.

Airstreams white covers do not have a thermal barrier.

We have the solar gray and the white, both of which are double thickness at the top, which is a thermal barrier.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Thanks for the reply and the clarification Andy. It just seems like a pretty penny for a chunk of plastic... If I get yours I wont have to replace them in another year or two will I?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPdrums View Post
Thanks for the reply and the clarification Andy. It just seems like a pretty penny for a chunk of plastic... If I get yours I wont have to replace them in another year or two will I?
Nope, not unless someone uses them for target practice.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We were bothered by the bright light also, and came up with this homemade remedy as shown below. We took a standard 15" silver insulated vent cover from CG. We covered it with black felt material and cut a slot in it for the manual controller on the Fantastic Fan. It is held in place with 4 clip from the dollar store. It goes on and off easily to use the fan. We've had these in use for over 2 years and have found they they work great for us.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3389.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	71776  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote