Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2015, 06:18 AM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Bathroom vent lifting mechanism replacement parts

Are replacement parts available for the bathroom vents used in 2001. My motor works and will lift the lid but upon closing will not hold the lid closed. A close inspection shows the cast metal housing for the worm gear is bulged. I can't tell if the motor is attached and removable or a part of the greater assembly. Apparently the gears simply won't mesh properly. It all comes apart so I'm looking for a replacement for the worm gear box unit without motor if they come separately

ThanX all.

Roger from NJ.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I cannot answer your questions about the parts availability, but I had the same problem with mine, and by your description it sounds like the same vent.

What I have done is remove the metal housing, and with a large channel lock pliers force it back into shape, and it is working good again.

What seems to be the problem is the motor is strong enough to distort the housing when closing the vent, and the power is left on with the switch for too long.

I've been thinking of replacing it with a fantastic fan, but haven't been able to find a model that would use the existing wiring and switches.

Have you contacted Airstream about the vent parts?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I replaced my bathroom fan with a Fantastic Vent and used the original switches for aesthetic reasons, and the wiring and switches were compatible. This was a pricy replacement but necessary because a wind gust stripped the closing mechanism on the original vent. Turned out to be a great benefit in getting rid of the poorly performing original vent. The Fantastic Vent in the bathroom is just wonderful.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
I replaced my bathroom fan with a Fantastic Vent and used the original switches for aesthetic reasons, and the wiring and switches were compatible. This was a pricy replacement but necessary because a wind gust stripped the closing mechanism on the original vent. Turned out to be a great benefit in getting rid of the poorly performing original vent. The Fantastic Vent in the bathroom is just wonderful.
Does your new fan open and close with the factory switch? Can you give us a part number?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
ThanX Steve. I was thinking about doing just that but would like to explore me options should things go south when I try to press things back together. Nice to know it may work. I have not yet made any attempt to track parts yet.

THANX

Roger from sunny NJ ( that's why I'm in Fla )

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
SteveH: I bought the B2000 Fantastic Vent three years ago, so it's probably been updated. And yes the vent closes with the factory switch and turns on and off with the other factory switch. I change the fan speed on the fan itself. With the wiring and the extensive amount of caulking and testing necessary to insure no leaks, the tech worked almost two hours. So this is not an easy installation. I got a very basic vent without the rain sensor or variable speeds. Also I got the smoke-colored vent, which is nice. I had to order the fan from the factory and have it delivered to my dealer, who installed it. All in all a complicated, time-consuming and expensive replacement for the factory vent, but one I'd do again in a minute.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Well, back to the original question here. I tried Steve's recommendation and carefully pressed the gear case back into shape and things looked good for awhile. But they went south ( as we did ) and just didn't make a long term fix. So I'm back to looking for a replacement lifting system for my original AS installed bathroom fan. So if anyone has been through this maybe you can point me in the right direction for getting a replacement. I don't want to replace the while unit unless there's no other option.

Thanks All,

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 06-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OK, for anyone interested here's the skinny. The part I'm looking for is called an operator. Airstream shows a parts picture breakdown and it is listed there. They gave me an AS part # but won't sell direct to me. I was told I need to call a dealer to order the part. OK, so local dealer tells me the part is $10.50. Great, I'm in for that.
Now comes the " BUT" part. It's shipped direct to me from Airstream and they have a minimum order and since it's below the minimum it would be an extra $10. Plus shipping.
Well, I found another source with no minimum and ordered it. Price was less but not by much. I would have preferred to support the Airstream company by getting it from them.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 06-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Finally got the part and installed it. Found it at E-Trailer. Their order person was very helpful and after speaking with her I realized I had planned to order the wrong part. Very close, almost exact, in the photo but slightly different. She was very nice and called Ventline while I was on the phone to confirm the application. We got the correct part and there is only one small thing. The new part comes with a plastic thing-ee at the end that attaches to the vent lid. The newer vents must have a different method of attachment. Easy fix to remove the plastic thing and then the installation went picture perfect. All's well with the bathroom vent. For a comparable cost I would prefer to support the Airstream parts system but not at a premium of double. E-Trailer is a great source of stuff so give them a look see. Maybe they've got what you need.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 06-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
The way the part that fails is made (cast pot metal), I think it will continue to fail if the same pressures are applied to it. Basically if you hold the switch too long and let it try to close the vent lid too tight, it puts too much pressure on the mechanism.

I recently had to replace the vent top because it was cracked from UV damage, but being careful to not put too much pressure on it when closing, mine has continued to work well.

If it does fail again, think I'll just replace it with a Fantastic Fan, which IMHO is what should have been installed there in the first place.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Not the greatest fix, but I had the same issue. I hound a small C-clamp and applied ti to the sides of the housing to keep the motor from forcing it apart again. I keep telling myself , when it fails again, I'll upgrade the whole thing! (been almost 2 years now ;-) )

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Parts for 14 x 14 bath vent fan

I'm having this same problem with my bathroom vent fan.
Did anyone find lift mechanism parts or a replacement for the original replacement fan. (other than Fantastic) I've looked at ODM, Inland, and Vintage. No luck!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Pleasant Plains , Illinois
I too had the same problem and put it back into shape using channel lock pliers so the gears would engage properly. I have my AS in storage for the winter so can't readily look, but as I remember it I replaced a rivet holding the gear housing together with a screw. It's been working that way for about 3 years now. I would like to replace the fan sometime down the road.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Has anyone tried one of these as a replacement?
Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail EZ-Breeze Fan

The original wall switch could be used to control the fan, but it looks like the vents are manual.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If you're fans are Ventline the parts are available. I posted earlier in this thread the sources for them. If they are not Ventline then all bets are off. Mine has been good since I repaired it. I'm very careful to not over do the pressure upon closing. The motor just applies too much force and warps the housing.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
If you're fans are Ventline the parts are available. I posted earlier in this thread the sources for them. If they are not Ventline then all bets are off. Mine has been good since I repaired it. I'm very careful to not over do the pressure upon closing. The motor just applies too much force and warps the housing.
I read the following post, but you gave no part number or source. So, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
OK, for anyone interested here's the skinny. The part I'm looking for is called an operator. Airstream shows a parts picture breakdown and it is listed there. They gave me an AS part # but won't sell direct to me. I was told I need to call a dealer to order the part. OK, so local dealer tells me the part is $10.50. Great, I'm in for that.
Now comes the " BUT" part. It's shipped direct to me from Airstream and they have a minimum order and since it's below the minimum it would be an extra $10. Plus shipping.
Well, I found another source with no minimum and ordered it. Price was less but not by much. I would have preferred to support the Airstream company by getting it from them.
Is this what works with the electric lift motor?

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...VD0286-00.html
Old 11-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Sorry Alan. Airstream had sent me a picture part breakdown. The lifting mechanism is referred to as an " operator" on the drawing and part # VO115-04. I think I got my part through E-trailer. They were very helpful in making sure I got the correct part. Yes this part with a very slight and easy modification matched exactly with the old part and yes it worked with the electric lift motor.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Thanks!!!! That helps a lot.
If you still have a pdf or jpg copy of the picture with the parts breakdown, it would be great if you could post it here.
My owners manual does not have that drawing included.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #19
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'll see how it comes out. If I can't manage it PM me with your address and I'll send a copy pony Xpress. I do still have what they sent me.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OK Alan here it goes. We'll see if it will work for me. If it comes through this is the breakdown of the Ventline ceiling fan in the bathroom of our 2001 Excella. I hope it will be of some help to you.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18