Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Bathroom vent/fan

I have a 2007 Airstream Safari and the bathroom vent fan motor has gone out. The airstream dealer where I purchased my vehicle has gone out of business. Does anyone know what the replacement fan is and how difficult this would be for me to replace myself?
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
They are available at:

Inland RV => Inland RV Center Inc.

and

Out of Doors Mart => Vents and related Parts : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

... But when ours went out on the prior Airstream, it was easier for me to just replace with a complete fan assembly => Vents and related Parts : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Thanks for the links, how had was it to replace then entire unit?
Thanks again,
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
They are available at:

Inland RV => Inland RV Center Inc.

and

Out of Doors Mart => Vents and related Parts : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

... But when ours went out on the prior Airstream, it was easier for me to just replace with a complete fan assembly => Vents and related Parts : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Easy to Replace the Entire Unit

I'm not mechanically inclined ... but I can tell you that I found it really easy to replace the entire unit. I'm also glad that I replaced the entire unit for several reasons:

1. The old unit did not appear to be installed very well and appeared that it could present some potential water intrusion.
2. The old unit was installed with some kind of glue that was smeared all over the place.
3. The plastic components (screen, housing, etc.) were deteriorating.
4. The old unit's age appeared to be equally as old as the Airstream (1988) and just didn't feasible to keep extending its life.

I think the key to installing a new, complete unit is:

A. After removing the old unit, ensuring you clean all the old glue, dirt, residue that collected with the old unit.
B. Ensuring you follow the simple installation instructions.
C. Ensuring you seal around the new unit with a proper sealant (I used the Vulkem product which is also sold at Inland RV and Out of Doors Mart).

And the Vulkem has multiple uses elsewhere on the Airstream. You will use very little of it for your vent intallation. All you have to do to preserve the Vulkem for future use is plug the hole with something small (that you can easily grab ahold of and pull it back out of the hole at a later date) and put the Vulkem in your freezer. It will be preserved perfectly and ready for future use.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
On my 2002 ASCL 31' I've considered replacing the bath vent fan with one of the Fantastic Fans which the unit already has 2 each of. I've measured the openings and they seem to be identical. My reasoning is the Fantastic Fan is MUCH more efficient, flexable (variable speed & temp control) and most importantly has a rain sensor which will close it if I forget to do so. Just something you might consider.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Fantastic Fan +1
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
How to you determine which fantastic fan will work to replace the regular fan?
Thank for the help!
Greg
Old 05-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
Thank for the help!
Greg
Greg, is your fan the round Ventline Vanair fan, or is it a 14" square fan? If it's the first one, you're gonna be kind of stuck with that, unless you want to perform major surgery. If it's a 14" square vent, you can use any of the Fantastic fans. I have a 4000R in out bathroom, but you can even put the 8000 in, and add a rain sensor and electric lift to it.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
Thank for the help!
Greg
Hi Greg,

Welcome to another Arkansas Airstreamer!

Why don't you post a photo of the one you are working on? Terry's right about the round Ventline vs. the 14" square openings. I have the round Ventline in my Excella's bath and the 24" square vents in the bedroom, the middle of the trailer, and the living room. I replaced the one in the bedroom with a Fantastic Vent a while back (photos at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...tml#post721044, Terry's thread, by the way) and recommend it very highly. I'll be replacing the other two standard vents when I can afford it.

I recommend the Fantastic Vent versions with the rain sensor, too. I left mine open yesterday morning and tremendous rains moved into the area, flash flood warnings and all. Not a drop of moisture on the bed. Well worth the extra.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
If it's the round VanAir fan that is easy enough to replace. You take that trim ring off inside and disconnect the power. Outside you remove the cap or lid, which exposes the screws that anchor the flange to the roof. Remove screws, pry fan loose, clean old sealant off. Installation of the replacement fan is easy enough, just have some vulkum sealant on hand.

Since I have an older trailer, the screw holes on the flange of my new fan did not line up with the original holes drilled in my roof. Old fan had 8 screws, new one had 6 holes or something like that. I was able to re-use a few existing screw holes but drilled a few new ones in the roof, gooped some sealant in the unused holes before installing the fan. That was a year or two ago. No leaks and still runs good.

Christopher
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Thanks to everyone for the help! I have the round unit in the bathroom, going to order the replacement today.
Thanks again,
Greg
Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
[QUOTE=ghaag;996470]Thanks to everyone for the help! I have the round unit in the bathroom, going to order the replacement today.
Thanks again,
Greg[/QUOTE
You never indicated how you determined the fan motor was the problem. The switch mounted on the fan assembly gets exposed to moisture and can be the cause of the fan not running. You may want to check out the switch before you replace the entire vent unit.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
1998 34' Excella 1000
Apache Junction , Arizona
Good point about the switch. I, too, have a 2007 Safari with a non-functional Valentine fan, mine is in the shower. (Worst Airstream I've ever owned.) In troubleshooting, I can make it work if I reach in and move the wires that disappear into the insulation. I've tried to locate a wiring diagram from Airstream for the 2007 Safari so I can determine where the intermittent wire originates but have been totally unsuccessful.