Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
1963 16' Bambi
1971 21' Globetrotter
Marbletown , New York
Bathroom vent

I’m rebuilding my ’76 Sovereign and am starting by tearing out the bathroom. In taking it apart I came to the vertical panel that was on the right of the toilet (right while sitting). Mine had a vent grill cut through the panel that was about 6” X 10”. It was installed approximately 6” off the floor and 12” from the “back wall just behind the toilet. I didn’t pay any attention to its function but I’m about to start making the replacement parts and can’t imagine what the function of the vent was. It seems to just be an opening to the “Trunk area” which is an un-insulated, un-heated space. There were no ducts going to/from it. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Stone Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Not sure if it's the case with yours but on our 71 there is a round 6 inch hole cut in the panel to the right side rear of the toilet. It too leads into the trunk area. When I asked Airstream about it they said dealers would cut these holes for easier access to the toilet bolts. When we put down new vinyl floor tiles I placed one over the hole - from the trunk side - to keep critters out.

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:01 AM   #3
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
My 75 TW has a small exhaust fan in that spot. It vents to the belly pan area. These are sometimes called "fart fans".

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I had a '76 Overlander that had the same "courtesy fan". I thought it was hilarious! I did put it on while showering, but it wasn't a very powerful fan.
It was, however, one of my favorite cool vintage features!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
1963 16' Bambi
1971 21' Globetrotter
Marbletown , New York
Thank you all for the quick responses. I too have the "F... Fan" but it's in the small cabinet on the left of the toilet, the cabinet also contains the HW Heater and the paper holder.

I'd think I'd like to go with Gary's reply. It seems that when needed the acess is a good idea. I'd like to wait untill access is necesary and then put something in that's a little more finished and weather tight.

Any way, it lets me take the hole/grate problem off of my list for now. I think that plumbers use the terms, "Courtesy Flush, and "Fart Fan".
Stone Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
We had a 1973 29' Ambassador, rear bath that had a hole about 6" by 10" square between the rear of the toilet into the rear trunk area under the across the back, under the sink countertop. Also there was a hot air duct that ran under the twin bed on the curb side, then under the closet floor and opened under the bathtub and I think I remember over under the sink area. I always thought that the grilled area behind the toilet was a cold air return into the trailer interior. Forced hot air heating systems work best when they have cold air returns. Our trailer also had the power fan from the cabinet to left of toilet (sitting) that was ducted out under the floor.
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Since it`s supposed to be an all weather camper,I figured the one on my 77 Overlander was to allow warm air to flow to trunk to prevent freezing,I refaced that wall and reinstalled the grill.My fart fan is small round exhaust in ceiling,that is if I can ever find replacement.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
The small round bath exhaust fan can be purchased from Inland RV...I bought one for our 78 rear bath.

You'll have to spray paint the out side cover with some alum paint to match...I use the Rustoleum brand alum spray paint that has actual flakes of alum in matches the AS exterior very close.

I was surprised to see that the motor in the new fan is a tiny thing...much smaller that the original, but it does a good job, and probably used fewer amps to boot!

I think I paid around $70 for the entire's the same diameter size, buy you'll have to drill new holes, as there's an additional screw that changes the big deal, however.

Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote