Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
bathroom fan pops open when we tow!

Hi everyone,

On our first trip out we noticed our bathroom fan pops open when we tow, eek! We have a 34' 1998 classic ltd.

The first time we thought we had forgotten to close it - it was just open about an inch and only noticed b/c it was raining and the bathroom was a bit damp. Then when we arrived home, we saw it was wide open and we were positive we had closed it.

I have heard these fans are finicky to repair - is it best to just get a new one? Is there any kind of troubleshooting we can do first e.g. maybe there is something stuck in it like leaves or a stick. Haven't had time to get up on the roof yet but hope to this weekend. We noticed the mechanism doesn't stop automatically anymore when it closes - keeps churning and doesn't seem to "catch". Any suggestions are more than welcome!

If we can't get it fixed before our next trip, what is the best way to secure it during towing - I'm thinking duct tape!

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is the vent the little round one that pushes up and out? Or is it something like a Fantastic Vent (14" square)?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
It is like the fantastic fan but it's not fanstastic - you open and close it with an up/down button and it doesn't close automatically like the fantastic does. About 12 inch square? Wish I had the manual with me so I could tell you exactly, but it is in the airstream - I'll be able to check on the weekend. (The previous owners of our airstream kept an awesome well organized manual that we are very thankful for!)
Old 04-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
give me a few minutes and i'll post a pic with my question too.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
can the lift cable be repaired or should i just get a new fan assy.?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bath fan.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	59193  
Old 04-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
yes that is what my fan looks like too. is there a way to open and close it manually instead of using the motor? someone just asked me that but i don't recall seeing a manual crank. wish my airstream was in the driveway so i could run out and check.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
up on the roof to check it out -

the teeth from the motor aren't lining up well with the teeth that the lift arm attches to. motor still works well.

does anyone know, can i buy new parts for the fan or should i just get a whole new fan? guess i will call up the local shop.

thanks for any other suggestions
Old 05-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart
up on the roof to check it out...
hi red...

no need to go topside for this...

remove the screen INSIDE and you will have good access to motor/gear mechanism...

this POS item is well known to fail and once it does, it WILL flap UP/OPEN during travel or strong winds...

the part/item is WIDELY available at most rv supply stores, camping world, a/s vendors and so on...

LOTS of rv makes use this item and it's less than a 20 dollar bill for a new one...

the service guys will tell ya they fail from trying to close them TOO TIGHTLY...

but it really is a wimpy mechanism...

attached is a pic of the faulty part that's replaced...

yours looks like an older version, but the part # should be ON the mechanism...

take it out, tie down the lid and compare a new one with the older version...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom_fan_assembly.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	59800  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can get a manual crank for this, all it consists of is a lever, the arm, asmall roller for the arm, and a crank handle. Costs about $5.
I would still suggest getting either a Fantastic Fan or a Maxx-Air Fan in place of it. The one we had in our kitchen area failed in the middle of a thunderstorm, and the lid blew off. There is now a spiffy new Fantastic Fan in its place.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
i think mine might be different.
IIRC, the motor turns a gear which,
moves a wire loop which
turns a gear
which raises the arm.

if i turn the flat disk under the raising arm, the lid will open or close. Fantastic Fan seems to be in my future as that blade makes a lot of noise and a lot of air draws in from the side of the blade.

thanks to all.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi red...

no need to go topside for this...

remove the screen INSIDE and you will have good access to motor/gear mechanism...

the part/item is WIDELY available at most rv supply stores, camping world, a/s vendors and so on...

LOTS of rv makes use this item and it's less than a 20 dollar bill for a new one...
Ah, what a joy to read your post! I have even found the part in a local online catalogue - never even thought to look since I assumed it was a fancy airstream specific thing. Off tomorrow to buy one and try your suggestions.

THANKS!!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
fixed!!!! for less than $20!!! 2air was right. Bought the part at the Trailer Centre in Dorchester and Brian installed it for free (great service, will definitely go back there!). It was a very quick fix. Thank you so much for the replies here - saved me a bundle! I will post a picture of the offending piece of hardware later when I have a better connection. Hope you get your fan fixed too Ricky, thanks for posting the pic.