Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Bath exhaust fan

I have a 64 Safari. The bathroom exhaust fan was removed by PO for being “too noisy”. I can deal with noise better than odors in cabin. What does original look like? The mount hole is there, grill, switch, 12vDC wiring, etc. Is it a flange mount squirrel cage fan similar to stove exhaust fan? Is there supposed to be ductwork and if so where does it exhaust to other than just into rear “one stop service area”? A small 80mm computer fan will fit but only puts out 30CFM. How powerful was original? Anyone have pictures or one that’s “too noisy” they want to part with?

Walter
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:45 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

The original fan was probably a circular plastic bladed fan. Mine had more RPM's than I ever needed, so I just put a resistor in line to slow it down.

Fit any size fan that can easily be mounted. You only want to get rid of excess moisture most of the time, so a relatively slow fan would work just fine.

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Thanks Steve, I can get a small 12vDC computer cooling fan in there, it should circulate enough air for moisture removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve
The original fan was probably a circular plastic bladed fan. Mine had more RPM's than I ever needed, so I just put a resistor in line to slow it down.

Fit any size fan that can easily be mounted. You only want to get rid of excess moisture most of the time, so a relatively slow fan would work just fine.

Steve
Old 10-14-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The bathroom vent on our 67 has a noisy motor, too, as does the one over the dining area. Both have metal blades, not plastic (which is relatively rare throughout the rig anyway). I think replacement motors might be available from one or the other of the national electric motor supply houses.

Lynn
Old 10-14-2004, 05:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
I have a 72 Tradewind.... if it's like mine it's ALOT more powerfull then a computor fan. Mine is on the curb side in the closet and has a hose over to the tolet on the street side.

If you need a picture let me know and I can take one tomorrow. I'm redoing the bathroom and it's out sitting in my garage. It's pretty powerful and loud. Mine duct's out to the curb side like I said. Not sure why it would let out on that side... if your sitting outside and someone else turns it on.... you KNOW what they are doing.
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Thanks for the help. Pictures would be extremely helpful. How does the motor/fan mount? What size is the duct work? How does the exhaust duct exit the trailer? I have no visible exit for the air (I can deal with fan noise to remember to turn it off and if folks outside figure what I'm doing in there oh well, stand clear)

Thanks, Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskIt
I have a 72 Tradewind.... if it's like mine it's ALOT more powerfull then a computor fan. Mine is on the curb side in the closet and has a hose over to the tolet on the street side.

If you need a picture let me know and I can take one tomorrow. I'm redoing the bathroom and it's out sitting in my garage. It's pretty powerful and loud. Mine duct's out to the curb side like I said. Not sure why it would let out on that side... if your sitting outside and someone else turns it on.... you KNOW what they are doing.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter1
Thanks for the help. Pictures would be extremely helpful. How does the motor/fan mount? What size is the duct work? How does the exhaust duct exit the trailer? I have no visible exit for the air (I can deal with fan noise to remember to turn it off and if folks outside figure what I'm doing in there oh well, stand clear)

Thanks, Walter
The fan in my 1964 Overlander is a Peters and Russell Model 4710. A flexible duct connects it to the vent beside the toilet, and the fan is mounted to the floor. I think it just vents through the floor to the space below the floor, but it's hard to see so I could be wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	9162   Click image for larger version

Name:	fan2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	9163  

DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 03:02 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. Picture helped a lot. looks like same set up I must have had. Same vent and switch location. How does the duct attatch to the vent? Is there a flange there? This may also account for a couple of the unexplained wires I have in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander
The fan in my 1964 Overlander is a Peters and Russell Model 4710. A flexible duct connects it to the vent beside the toilet, and the fan is mounted to the floor. I think it just vents through the floor to the space below the floor, but it's hard to see so I could be wrong.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:27 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
Mine has the hose connected by simple hose clamps. It also vents out the floor. I just replaced the rear floor so I know that mine had a small section (@ 4") that takes it through the belly pan and exets the trailer. Mine is loud as well but not much louder then my bathroom (home) fan..... just in a smaller location. I thought it was made to be loud to cover up the noise I make on a rough morning
Best of luck
k
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote