Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Houston , Texas
Bad ventilation fans

In my 1991 Excella 34ft I have two ventilation/light units. The handles are not able to turn the vent open so the fans do not come on.

It seems the problem is up in the top part of the units. Are there replacement units that allow me to keep the lighting or some repair that can fix the problem? The handle just spins without raising the lid. I see plenty of replacement fans from Maxx Air and Fan-tastic but this would mean I would lose the lighting.

Solutions?
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The combination vent/light fixture is one of my favorite Airstream details. I would replace the old vent with a new Maxx Fan with a remote control. You won't need the crank to operate the remote control fan, and the existing knob can still be used to turn the lights on and off.
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Houston , Texas
So you can replace the fan part and still leave the original light console with cover in place? My switch to power the light is on the wall near the door, high, low, or off. How would you control the fan then? Only with remote control?

I am not a fan of those, no pun intended. I had one for a fan in my previous home and it was all fine until someone misplaces the remote.

Is there no direct solution?
Old 03-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
First, I would take off the crank and see if the splines are stripped. Then, I would get up on the roof, try to manually raise the dome and see if it can be fixed. The dome on mine had a hole in it. I replaced it last summer.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Houston , Texas
I have tested it and the splines are intact. It seems the mechanism / gear might be stripped. It looks like I have to the top to fix.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokila View Post
So you can replace the fan part and still leave the original light console with cover in place? My switch to power the light is on the wall near the door, high, low, or off. How would you control the fan then? Only with remote control?

I am not a fan of those, no pun intended. I had one for a fan in my previous home and it was all fine until someone misplaces the remote.

Is there no direct solution?
If you can find a direct replacement for the vent and or the fan, by all means do so. My suggestion assumed that the original vent could not be mended. I think that I have seen repair kits for the vent lids, but I don't remember where. The vent and fan can be replaced a new style fan while keeping the original light fixture. In the old days, the fan was one speed and it switched on when the vent cover was fully opened with the crank at one end of the light fixture. I was not aware that some fans had wall switches.

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnpk Crsr View Post
If you can find a direct replacement for the vent and or the fan, by all means do so. My suggestion assumed that the original vent could not be mended. I think that I have seen repair kits for the vent lids, but I don't remember where. The vent and fan can be replaced a new style fan while keeping the original light fixture. In the old days, the fan was one speed and it switched on when the vent cover was fully opened with the crank at one end of the light fixture. I was not aware that some fans had wall switches.

John
Sorry if I wasn't clear. There is no light switch for the fan on the wall, just a high and low and off switch for the lights. I assume the power for the fan must be directly wired and is activated at some point when the vent is opened and you are confirming that is the way it worked.

I have been searching all over for what you say and I do not see anyone documenting a how-to in repairing them. I also don't see anything about replacing them and keeping the original light which is what I would rather do. The other option is to just abandon the light fixture and go with the new style fan, but I am not sure how much i would use it.

I've been trying to get a feel for what others have done as surely this problem must be not uncommon. Both vents are in the same condition. So how do I do this: "The vent and fan can be replaced a new style fan while keeping the original light fixture." Is my only option to replace the fan and install the light fixture using the remote control you mentioned?
Old 03-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My fan works the same way... Wall switch for light, fan comes on when dome raised.... I really like the light for a living room light. IMO, the fan doesnt move much air.

Worst case is for you to replace the unit with a Fantastic or Maxxair and add a ceiling light near it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Has anybody replaced the fan unit with a Fantastic or Maxx unit, and installed the original lights and light shade? A friend and I are both going to replace out front fans in our 34'. I replaced the rear fan last year and did not replace the light in the bedroom, but it would be great to keep the light in the front. I wonder if the flow of the fan would be greatly restricted by the light cover. Any thoughts out there?? I think it is "doable" with a few modifications of the light and mount, but I wonder if it is worth doing. Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Has anybody replaced the fan unit with a Fantastic or Maxx unit, and installed the original lights and light shade? A friend and I are both going to replace out front fans in our 34'. I replaced the rear fan last year and did not replace the light in the bedroom, but it would be great to keep the light in the front. I wonder if the flow of the fan would be greatly restricted by the light cover. Any thoughts out there?? I think it is "doable" with a few modifications of the light and mount, but I wonder if it is worth doing. Chris
I installed a MaxxFann replacement for my units about a month ago so I can visualize what you are asking. I can see how this could work if you had the remote controlled fan version as there is no way to get to the controls otherwise. I think there would be some restrictions on air at the higher speeds, but from a configuration it would work. I personally think the lights are antiquated and am going to install recessed lighting that will light up all the way from the sofa to the edge of the kitchen with one switch.

As for the MaxxFann, I often will run the fan at the first setting to ventilate the trailer when I have it stored. Incoming air in the bedroom unit and outgoing in the living area helps keep the trailer cooler in the summer. On the first setting it is super quiet that you don't even hear it running, but it's moving air.

I am going to add a third one in the bathroom even though I have a little one in the shower.