Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Billings , Montana
Astradome problem

I purchased a '63 Tradewind last month and have been working hard to get the inside of the exterior skins sealed up before winter comes. (In my foolishness I started a blog: AirStream Padawan - Blog) My problem is with the astradome: the only part of it left is the aluminum frame riveted to the skin. The lifters are gone. (As is the dome, of course.) I know I can buy a replica dome from VTS, but I guess lifters are hard to come by, correct?

I have a fully functional Herr original vent in the back, with knobs, cover and everything. I really would prefer to leave it alone, except some extra caulking inside (with Trempro). BUT, I could scavenge the lifters for the astradome and put a fantastic fan in the back. Would this even work? Will the lifters from the back function with the remake of the Astradome? Is there a better plan?

Old 09-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I had the same problem. I repurposed the lifters from my rear vent and put them on the Astradome. I then installed a Fantastic Vent in the rear, so it all worked out.

Alternatively, the LaDeux lifters are available from Inland RV. The don't look like the originals but should function similarly.

Inland RV Center Inc.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Billings , Montana
Thanks! I'm constantly worried that in a decade my "good ideas" will seem a lot like the ones I'm repairing. Or worse, in a week...
Old 09-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Collegeville , Pennsylvania
I recently did the same thing on my 1961 Safari.

I ordered new lifters but they were different enough that I decided to scavenge from the old vents instead.

The "worst" part was drilling the six new holes into the astradome. Didn't want to goof that up... that's an expensive piece of plastic.
TheHandyDan is offline   Reply With Quote