Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Another newbie question... fan on roof???

We just got back from a very enjoyable "dry run" with our new/OLD trailer. I am happy to report that NOTHING went wrong. We have a few small things to do, but all in all it was VERY smooth sailing. Literally!

**** So here is our question>>>>>

The roof fan is open to the air and has no cover. Is it supposed to be like that or has a cover gotten knocked off at some point?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holmberg airstream-02.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2430  
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:45 AM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Congrats on your successful first outing!

The vent is supposed to be covered... if you can see daylight, then you'll also get wet when it rains!

Your '67 is in between my experience with a '61 and a '70, so I'm not sure when they switched to the newer style. The older trailers had a metal cover with two actuators that allowed for either or both ends to be open. Those actuators are no longer available, however I saw on another thread here that someone is making a very nice reproduction. My '70 also had a metal cover, but used the later, and now more common design: a single crank actuator that only opens the cover to the rear.

I'm sure that someone with a '67 can tell you which yours was. I CAN tell you that a replacement cover will be expensive. Andy at Inland had some plastic vent covers made a number of years ago that fit my '61. He had them made as an insulated light dome; a very nice design and fit, but as I recall, it was around $100 shipped.

I think that if I had to replace one now, I'd just install a Fantastic vent fan.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
fan on roof ??

OOOOPS.. I didn't specify.. it is the air conditioner fan cover on the roof we need.. we definitely do NOT see sky from inside the trailer!

We were out in a BIG rainstorm last night and not a DROP came in.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Do you mean the outer a/c shroud?

Depends on what brand you have as far as what is needed. Inland would have the original Armstrong shrouds. Colemans, Duotherms, Dometic, Carriers, and similar shrouds are available at your local camping World or generic RV dealer.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: fan on roof ??

Quote:
Originally posted by flamingo-kid1
OOOOPS.. I didn't specify.. it is the air conditioner fan cover on the roof we need.. we definitely do NOT see sky from inside the trailer!

We were out in a BIG rainstorm last night and not a DROP came in.
Proably not. From a $70 lesson learned on my home A/C. The bearings were going on the blower motor on the condensor outside a year ago. Every fall I put a plastic bag over the unit to keep the leaves and pine needles out. Well this year when I went to fire up the A/C the motor ran once and then quit next time it cycled and I about blew the compressor. I heard the compressor loading up and killed the breakers and saved it.

Called my buddy who is a HVAC guy and had him come take a look. New the blower motor was new so HOW could it be the motor again? I figured it was bad contacts on the relay. Late on a Saturday so no parts houses open and I figured my buddy would have the relay. He swings by and checks it out and tells me the blower motor is bad. Then proceeds to quiz me about my winterizing practices.

Hears about my plastic bag over the condensor..... Traps in the humidity and does in the motor.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:12 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
You got off cheap for 70 bucks. I had mine go and I did the replacement my self from Grainger, cost me 60 for the motor! We spent 3 nights in the MH with the AC icy cold while I got the part and installed it. I was told if I want to cover it (when I lived up north) to cut a peice of plywood to the shape of the top and place a couple of paving stones on it to hold it in place. Keeps the crud out, but lets the moisture evaporate. Sorry, I digress...........

You will be able to tell the brand by the name on the inside shroud. The manufacturers are proud of their brand and will display it prominently. If you have an Armstrong you have a great unit, but the shroud will set you back a bit. The others are all reasonable in price from many sources. At least you can get one, right?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote