Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
1975 31' Sovereign
Okotoks , Alberta
Aluminum roof vent covers

I replaced the aluminum roof vent covers on my 1975 31ft sov. They have a opaque panel over the center to let light in I'm guessing, they are all weathered and need work , anyone interested in them? Only 2 are pictured, other one is still up there , was attacked by wasps the other day and am waiting for the swelling to go down .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1687792523.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	497.4 KB
ID:	163616  

Old 07-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You'll probably find the nest(s) inside the a/c shroud. Yellowjackets also like those. You do know you can use a flat sheet of aluminum, and rivet it over where the plastic was, so you can re-use the covers?

Old 07-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
1975 31' Sovereign
Okotoks , Alberta
Actually found them in the fridge exhaust cover, I saw an old hive core under there so I picked it out no problem, then I was tapping the vent cover cause I thought it looked loose, out comes one so I use my hat and smoke the little bastard , then 5 more come out and before you know it I was back on the ground and moving away quickly.
The next day at work I feel fine, just a few small bumps, slight itch.
Later that evening they all start to swell and when I wake up this morning my right eye is half swollen shut!
But yes I could fix and reuse the aluminum covers, just wanting to know if anyone actually wants them.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Greetings from Manitoba

Presently replacing the plexiglass inserts on our '74 International.
We like the light that is allowed to flow in.
Hope your swellig is better!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Burnet , Texas
Searching threats attempting to find out if there is a replacement part for my tops and came across yours. Mine also looked that bad and I put some plastic on them for a temp repair. You said you replaced yours, with what and did you use the original lifting brackets? As you know, there are two brackets inside the old tops. Does any new part have those brackets or do you transfer them to a new vent top?

Secondly, did your front vent open towards the back of the trailer or to the front. Mine is to the front which would cause it to rip off if left open while traveling. Seems like Airstream would not have designed it that way or maybe they did......

I bought some MaxxAir IIs and didn't do my homework first. The opening under the vent top is 12" and not the needed 14", whoops. And because the vent's opening is toward the front, it hits the inside of the MaxxAir II. Plan B is in order....haha.

Thx Rick
Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
1975 31' Sovereign
Okotoks , Alberta
I used white vent covers offered from OODM, I can't exactly remember what name brand but I think they were listed under the Airstream section of the website.
As for the brackets I drilled the rivets out of the old covers, cleaned up the brackets and transferred them to the new covers.
The new covers had shallow blind holes where the brackets would be secured and were in the correct spot so I drilled the holes out to the size of rivets I selected to use and then used mono exterior caulking to glue them in place aswell as rivet.
When opened they first tilt up at the rear and then the front. On mine i have a hole on both sides of the opening to mount the opening mechanism I'm sure i could transfer the mechanism to the front so they would open like yours, are your mechanisms mounted to the front?I can take pictures of mine if you would like.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Burnet , Texas
Thx for getting back to me. I'll look on the OODM site and figure out which ones you used. I was worried about the brackets being transfered to the new ones. Sounds like yours worked out fine.

My mechanism is in the back and can't be changed. I'm wondering about the springs and if they are connected correctly. I put them back on the way I took them off but unsure whether or not they were put on right in the beginning. I'll changed them around to see if I can get the door to open the opposite way.

Thx for your help, have a good one, Rick
Old 10-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I just revited an aluminum panel over mine. They won't be rotting from sun exposure.

Perry
Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I just used stainless steel screws and caulk to put a piece of plexiglass on mine.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Burnet , Texas
I've already put some plexiglass on them for a temp fix. I don't like the way they look and was going to put the MaxxAir II over them. Like I said before, the MaxxAir II won't fit without some fabricating the brackets to attach them. So I was looking for some different tops. Don't know which way I'll go from here yet. Thx for everyone's input, Rick
Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Do looks matter when you can't see them from the ground? I have found that anything plastic will rot from UV exposure at some point. You can have a square pan made of anything that strikes your fancy. Does your trailer have a theme?

Perry
Old 10-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Plexiglass May Rot...

...but Lexan won't. Please see my thread on rebuilding the same vent covers in my 1976 Sovereign.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
They all have problems. All plastics get brittle, fog over, crack, yellow etc. If you are 80 yrs old they may outlast you though. The windshield on my motorcycle is polycarbonate (Lexan) and it has cracks and it stays in the garage. UV and heat and cold are not a friend of plastics. Expect 10 yrs out of them on the roof if you are lucky.

Perry
Old 10-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Burnet , Texas
Perryg114: You're right, I can't see them from the ground. But I know I did a crappy, hurry-up job, haha. I had two days to fix them before a rally and we got 4 inches of rain while there. Plexiglass won't last very long and thats the other reason.

Alumaholic: I did look at your past thread along with the ones on the bottom of that page. Guess I should have gone further with my search on the topic.

This evening I did make some brackets for the MaxxAir IIs and tried one on. Looks like it will work fine. I still will replace the plexiglass on the vent cover with some Lexan or metal so its right. Plus with the Maxxairs, maybe I won't have to replace again for awhile...........yeah right.....Thx y'all. Rick