Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
'65/'66 14x25 Roof Vent Tribulations

I am now on my third large front roof vent cover from Inland RV. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them, I'm just thinking there has to be a better way.
The first one I got, many years ago, suddenly and dramatically flew off the roof and hit the road in Arizona, exploding into a million pieces. I figured, stress fractures from putting the rivets through. I bought another of the same thing. That one lasted for years up until now- it's aged and cracked and leaking and needs to be replaced. So, I ordered another one, along with the smaller one in the back. For whatever reason, in spite of the tremendous amount of sealant I used on the rivets and washers, this one has filled up with water like an aquarium. It's not an ideal situation, and I don't know if it's my fault, or an assembly defect.
At this point, I'm considering trying something new. Has anyone ever considered taking a three-quarter inch thick piece of polycarbonate, routing out a channel to put some gasket in, and mounting the lifters to it? I know it would be heavy, but it seems like that would be okay. I'm just a little sick of trying to keep water out of both the camper and the middle of the vent cover.

Has anyone tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
San Diego , California
14 x 25" vent

We have a '64 Safari with this same situation...Is there a reversible electric fan/vent available with this 14x25" dimension?
Boxcardawg is offline   Reply With Quote