Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Question 2010 Classic Skylight Cover mounting (or not)

While washing the trailer today, I noticed I could see some leaves inside the skylight. Upon investigating, I discovered that the CS rear corner of the rear skylight plastic was raised up away from the underlying frame. I then found that both front and rear skylights covers are held in place only by some type of double sided tape. ( No screws, no brackets, no anything else.) Feeling like something must have been left out, I called AS tech support. Jim told me that they are meant to be that way and apparently I need the tape replaced. I have having trouble believing that the two skylight covers are meant to be held in place by only being pressed down on double sided tape. Can anyone shed more light on this?
Thanks,
Ken
P.S. I did NOT make this up...............
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I have a 2007 Classic and the skylight is screwed down. But.. there have been so many complaints about cracked skylights from over tighteneing the screws that they just probably gave up trying to get someone to take their time and do it right that they've now gone to tape. More than half of the screws in mine were screwed down so tight that they deformed the plastic and caused cracks and leaks. Just proves that they can't even get taping them down right. When they blow off going down the road just tape another one on. Every time an Airstream comes back for a quality control issue they should take the cost out of the CEO's salary. I'll bet that after a couple of months of that they'd get their quality contol together.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
...Can anyone shed more light on this?...
hi ken did you take and photos?

it would be useful to SEE if/how they've changed the normal installation.

sop for years has been to tighten the screws till the dome rim CRACKS, then cover the cracks and screw heads with goop.

so it'd be interesting to SEE if the 2010s are different.

lots o' threads on this issue, these are the basics, with lewster 'splaining a proper install, but withOUT pictures...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ght-38909.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...eak-46914.html

here is one 2 serve as a reminder, it's still under warranty so let THEM fix it....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...air-53922.html

when mine goes, THIS will be the replacement...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...hts-53517.html

kevs got a really good post here, with video and more details including large white things from the heavens...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/683161-post13.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Hi 2air,
I will try to take a pic tomorrow, but I am not sure it will show that well.
Picture the plastic top part only of the skylight resting on what appears to be a wooden frame (may be metal) made with sides about 1 1/2"thickness. The frame is the proper size so that the flat part of the plastic top (just outside the dome) sits on the frame. Now pick up the plastic top, and lay some sort of black double sided sticky tape type stuff on on top of the edges of the wood (or whatever) frame. Press the plastic top down firmly on the tape. Voilà, instant roof top escape hatch.
One thing I will guarantee, warranty or not, its not going stay that way. (both interpretations of stay apply).
The sky light on my previous TT was constructed in a similar manner, however the plastic top was held down by a frame of angle aluminum that screwed into the sides of the wood (or whatever) frame.
When I did press firmly down on the raised corner it stuck back down so perhaps the ( *#$%#%) honey locust leaves from my neighbors tree will stay out of the trailer, at least those that entered that way.
Regards,
Ken
Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
2air,
The above thread you supplied contains the following quote:

"Note: newer trailers with skylights installed with double sided tape adhesive versus screws should have welds ground down already. "

So I guess that IS how they do them now.
Regards,
Ken
Old 09-29-2009, 04:11 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
2air,
The above thread you supplied contains the following quote:

"Note: newer trailers with skylights installed with double sided tape adhesive versus screws should have welds ground down already. "

So I guess that IS how they do them now.
Regards,
Ken
Here's another way to install a replacement skylight:

Out of Doors Skylight replacement Guide

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
My rear skylight popped off somewhere in New Brunswick this summer. The remaining screws had neat little plastic washers around them - which were, of course, the residual from the old skylight - but no washers. The caulking had failed long before - as to any adhesive value - which was obvious from the mildew on the surface thereof. The skylight had never leaked. I asked the tech to use washers for the replacement skylight. I've yet to examine the front skylight even though I have no doubt that it's ready to fly away also! I believe that the "all too simple" solution would be to use four 1/2" to 3/4" wide full-length aluminum strips on each side of the skylight in lieu of washers or plain screws. A molded/welded frame isn't really needed.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
.... A molded/welded frame isn't really needed.
It may not be needed but you're still screwing through the plastic skylight. With the Maxim molded/welded frame type skylight the polycarbonate is not penetrated and no worries about time/weather deteriorating the caulk.

Skylight kit from Out of Doors - $134.32

Inland RV - $159.95

The Maxim skylight is the same price as Inland RV. Plus the Maxim skylight is guaranteed to withstand hail too.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
It's hard to tell from the photos - but, to me, it doesn't look like the plastic skylight would overlap the outside edge of the raised dam/rails it's mounted on???? In other words, no "downturned" lip. That would make me nervous - i.e. - totally relying on the caulking. Using the OEM skylight, drilling holes to accomodate the screws, and using the aforementioned aluminum strips (--- in lieu of washers) to hold the whole kaboodle down, just seems a bit more secure. If the screw holes thru the Lexan were generous there shouldn't be too much stress created on the Lexan. Maybe I'm missing something???

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
When I did press firmly down on the raised corner it stuck back down so perhaps the ( *#$%#%) honey locust leaves from my neighbors tree will stay out of the trailer, at least those that entered that way.

The wind was 60 MPH+ here last night. When I checked it this AM, the skylight was still there, but the corner that I pushed back down on the tape had popped up again. There was a whole new decorative mat of leaves in the hallway. we move the trailer to its covered storage this morning so at least it is secure until a solution is reached. The plastic is certainly flimsy compared to the skylight in my Bigfoot. It is obvious that the solution is a couple new skylights.
Regards,
Ken
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Quote:
The wind was 60 MPH+ here last night. When I checked it this AM, the skylight was still there, but the corner that I pushed back down on the tape had popped up again. There was a whole new decorative mat of leaves in the hallway. we move the trailer to its covered storage this morning so at least it is secure until a solution is reached. The plastic is certainly flimsy compared to the skylight in my Bigfoot. It is obvious that the solution is a couple new skylights.
Regards,
Ken
I just installed two Maxim Skylights that I wrote about earlier in this thread. I couldn't be happier with the quality and how they're installed. I didn't have time to take but a couple photos as I'm time critical on getting the rig ready to roll tomorrow.

These will not come off, blow off, or even hailed off. The 22"x25" skylight is fastened horizontally with 16 screws through the curb. The 22" x 22" is held on the same with 12 screws. Plus the housing that holds the skylights was predrilled.

But here's how they were crated for shipment and one after installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	88060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	562.5 KB
ID:	88061  

Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf View Post
I just installed two Maxim Skylights that I wrote about earlier in this thread. I couldn't be happier with the quality and how they're installed. I didn't have time to take but a couple photos as I'm time critical on getting the rig ready to roll tomorrow.

These will not come off, blow off, or even hailed off. The 22"x25" skylight is fastened horizontally with 16 screws through the curb. The 22" x 22" is held on the same with 12 screws. Plus the housing that holds the skylights was predrilled.

But here's how they were crated for shipment and one after installation.
Thanks Duane,
That sure looks like the answer. I appreciate your posts. It will be shame to replace the skylights so soon, but I might as well have the peace of mind of the new ones. I am pretty sure that is what my previous trailer had on it. I only had one problem with it, and that was caused by sloppy installation.
Regards,
Ken
Old 10-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Stuck back down

I took the trailer to the dealer yesterday and got a few warranty issues taken care of including replacing the tape holding the skylight in place. The trailer is now in covered storage, so I will watch it for a while and see if that corner pops up again.
regards,
Ken
Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Can this company get anything right? Our skylight is cracked where the screws were tightened too much. It leaked last spring in Minnesota and the cracks have been covered with lots of sealant.

We're going to JC in a couple of weeks and I wonder how they'll fix it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Thumbs down UP date

Well I retrieved the trailer from storage and the same corner of the skylight has popped up again. We leave on a trip in about 10 days. I think I will screw that corner down with a rubber gasket on the screw and just replace the whole thing with something better (as mentioned in previous posts) when I get back.

regards,

Ken
Old 04-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Can this company get anything right? Our skylight is cracked where the screws were tightened too much. It leaked last spring in Minnesota and the cracks have been covered with lots of sealant.

We're going to JC in a couple of weeks and I wonder how they'll fix it.

Gene

Gene, seems like this thread has a new lease on life, and I was wondering how A/S fixed your problem with the skylight?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Ken,
We have a new '09 (since FEB) International and we had soooo many leaks! But our skylights leaked like a strainer and come to find out, AS uses a pressure tape to hold it down and ours was not installed properly. Yep, dealership fixed it (we hope, it hasn't rained) along with leaks in vents, every outside storage area, etc,etc. Don't screw it down yourself, you might need the dealer to replace it! Screwing it down could negate the warranty..check it out!
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

I just bought 2 new skylights replacements from Airstream and was also sold for an additional 20.00 a flat aluminum framework to go around the exterior and hold down the unit and distribute the force evenly. Will post pics next week prepping to leave for the Dogwoods rally now. Anyhow this frame looks much better than the pieces supplied with the Out of Doors Mart kit as a matter of fact if one looks at their instructions the pieces look downright hokey. The Airstream piece is a nice flat square one piece unit not some pieces of cut up extruded channel that looks like it will hold water( Out of Doors Mart kit). Can only hope Airstream is using these pieces on new installs now. Price with the pieces was also less than Out of Doors Mart.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Gene, seems like this thread has a new lease on life, and I was wondering how A/S fixed your problem with the skylight?
JC replaced the skylight since it was cracked where the screws had been torqued too much. They used washers when they replaced it. It hasn't leaked since.

Good to see Airstream has a new way of installing the skylight if ctdair is correct. It may be the factory has finally figured out the way they were installing the skylights was absurd and led to many, many warranty claims. By saving 10¢ on washers, they cost the company many, many dollars.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Well I retrieved the trailer from storage and the same corner of the skylight has popped up again. We leave on a trip in about 10 days. I think I will screw that corner down with a rubber gasket on the screw and just replace the whole thing with something better (as mentioned in previous posts) when I get back.

regards,

Ken
After a talk with Maxim, I have decided to do it right and be done with it. They have sold so many skylights for Airstreams, that they knew exactly what I wanted. All I have to do is decide what tint I want and order them tomorrow. Thanks to Kevin for his outstanding installation thread.

I know I could have Airstream keep taping them down for free for the next two years. However, one thing I have learned - monetarily free is often far from inconvenience free.

Regards,

Ken

P.S. I decide to use duct tape instead of a screw for the temp fix.