Old 05-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks for the photo cdt'. The aluminum piece looks pretty thin and although it will act as a washer and will match the trailer body (good only if you're 10' tall and from Pandora), it will not act as a hold down between the immediate area of the screws. A steel washer at each screw probably does as good or better a job. Thicker aluminum or steel would have done a better job. It looks like a definite improvement, but not a complete solution.

Gene

Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Well finally replaced the skylights today.The nice pieces Airstream had are sized incorrectly and the skylights themselves could have been sized better to the size of the aluminum flange. Had to custom cut the aluminum pieces foe each skylight.Overall the Airstream replacement seems as hokey as I said the Out Of Doors Mart one was. Will see how this holds up. I will do the Maxim route nest time I believe.

S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch. Pulled By 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Megacab
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #31
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I have had the Maxxims here for a couple weeks. I'm just waiting for an opportunity to install them.They look even better than the nice ones our previous SOB had.

One anomaly: the ones that Maxxim generally makes for the Airstream have the top two layers of plastic domed with the bottom one flat. My order got sent to the shop incorrectly. They have all three layers domed. They offered to send new ones, however, personally I prefer the three domed layers after seeing them.

In any case be aware that the option exists, if you prefer it to the bottom layer flat.

Regards,

Ken
Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California

Last year, I had my OEM skylight replaced with another OEM at JC with addition of this hold-down aluminum frame.

I returned home a week later, and the skylight was leaking again.

There were about another new 40~50 screw holes (attempted twice) penetrating the plastic and my aluminum curb, of course, because the new screw holes from the new installation didn't necessarily line up with the old holes.

Out of so many screw holes, it's inevitable calking will fail on some. The fundamental skylight design and its fastening method just needs to be changed, ASAP. This is costing customers, dealers, and the factory so much more money, time and anguish, because someone at Airstream initially made a cheapskate decision, and today continue to merely Band-Aid the problem.

I now have to live with about 100 screw holes which failed to serve their original purpose, which are left on each of my skylight's curb.

The folks at JC were nice well-intentioned people, but... (>_<)

I'm definitely opting for Maxim.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #33

Update and skylights available

Here is an update on my Skylight Project.

The Maxxim skylights arrived several weeks ago.
Since the trailer was going to dealer for some warrenty work, I askd them for a quote to do the istallation. They gave me a pretty good price, so I told them to do it.

I got a call from them during the day of the work. They said the skylights were too small. I found this difficult to believe, since the size was supposed to be standard on all recent Airstreams.

I went down to check for myself and sure enough the were almost exactly the same dimensions as the curb and would not quite fit down over it.

After some discussions with Maxxim, I called Airstream and found out that when they started using the double sided tape to hold the skylights on, they changed the dimensions of the curb slightly. I am guessing this was the start of the 2010 model year, but do not know that for a fact.

Because of the pre sale conversations that took place with Maxxim, they agreed to replace them for me.

This time I took very careful measurements of our curbs.

We are now in the process of installing the new ones.

Before I ship the old ones back to Maxxim, I told them that I would post to the forum that they are available. That would save the skylights an extra journey through the shipping if someone wants them.

The frames are Silver anodized. There is one deviation from the usual Airstream ones. The bottom layer of the three is flat on most of the ones made for the Airstream. On these, the bottom Layer is domed upward like they make most of their other Skylights. Personally I feel it gives a much nicer effect.

In any case I am going to hold off shipping them back until next week.

If anyone is interested contact:

DAVID THORNTON | Maxim Industries, Inc.
1630 Terre Colony Court | Dallas, TEXAS
888-222-4898 toll free |214-905-2021 local |214-905-2024 fax |(+44)020-7096-8920 intl
email: david@maximskylights.com

I intentionally did not discuss with David what the pricing would be for these particular ones.

I am not getting any benefit from this other than helping them out for being so cooperative.

Regards,
Ken
Old 08-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I installed a Maxxim skylight on my 07 25' Classic after the OEM started leaking becaue of the inept way it was installed. It's a quality product and Airstream should just do the right thing and start using Maxxim as a supplier and stop using that cheap skylight that they can't for the life of them install correctly.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Here is an update on my Skylight Project.

The Maxxim skylights arrived several weeks ago.
Since the trailer was going to dealer for some warrenty work, I askd them for a quote to do the istallation. They gave me a pretty good price, so I told them to do it.

I got a call from them during the day of the work. They said the skylights were too small. I found this difficult to believe, since the size was supposed to be standard on all recent Airstreams.

I went down to check for myself and sure enough the were almost exactly the same dimensions as the curb and would not quite fit down over it.

After some discussions with Maxxim, I called Airstream and found out that when they started using the double sided tape to hold the skylights on, they changed the dimensions of the curb slightly. I am guessing this was the start of the 2010 model year, but do not know that for a fact.

Because of the pre sale conversations that took place with Maxxim, they agreed to replace them for me.

This time I took very careful measurements of our curbs.

We are now in the process of installing the new ones.

Before I ship the old ones back to Maxxim, I told them that I would post to the forum that they are available. That would save the skylights an extra journey through the shipping if someone wants them.

The frames are Silver anodized. There is one deviation from the usual Airstream ones. The bottom layer of the three is flat on most of the ones made for the Airstream. On these, the bottom Layer is domed upward like they make most of their other Skylights. Personally I feel it gives a much nicer effect.

In any case I am going to hold off shipping them back until next week.

If anyone is interested contact:

DAVID THORNTON | Maxim Industries, Inc.
1630 Terre Colony Court | Dallas, TEXAS
888-222-4898 toll free |214-905-2021 local |214-905-2024 fax |(+44)020-7096-8920 intl
email: david@maximskylights.com

I intentionally did not discuss with David what the pricing would be for these particular ones.

I am not getting any benefit from this other than helping them out for being so cooperative.

Regards,
Ken
Hi Ken,
Would you post the correct part number for the 2010 model skylight you purchased from Maxxim( the skylite that fit your 2010 model trailer) (the second set you received). I don't need one now but would like to have the correct part number for the future.
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Hi Ken,
Would you post the correct part number for the 2010 model skylight you purchased from Maxxim( the skylite that fit your 2010 model trailer) (the second set you received). I don't need one now but would like to have the correct part number for the future.
Thanks!
Hi,
They don't really seem to have part numbers. Each order is submitted to production upon receipt with it own drawing. Production seems to take about 1 week. Even though they were using standard dimensions for all Airstream orders, each order is actually a custom order. There are also many choices of anodizing color and skylight tint.

After my experience, I would recommend carefully measuring the outside dimensions of the curbs and submitting those dimensions.. Maxxim then adds 1/4 inch to these dimensions and this is the inside dimension of the skylight frame.

After seeing how the curb is constructed on my trailer and how much oversized the Airstream OEM skylights are, I think a standard measurement is likely a thing of the past.

What happened in my case is; they told me that all the Airstream skylights they have sold have been the same dimensions. So I went up to the trailer and as close a I could tell with the oversize OEM ones in place, mine were the same. However the curbs were just bigger enough that the outside dimensions of the curbs were about 1/8" greater than the inside dimensions of the frame.

I hope that helps some.

Ken
Old 08-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #37
_

. , .
bluto...

kens totally correct.

while a/s might be using 2-3 standard size covers...

the actual HOLES are all hand cut and far from uniform in size.

it would be NICE to see some photos of measuring and installing...

and by golly we've GOT those...

early on (like post #3) there are several GOOD LINKS to use.

one of them includes great pix...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...hts-53517.html

the diy how 2 duane linked in post 25 is also good but not max' specific.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks guys!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Good info....
Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy

Last year, I had my OEM skylight replaced with another OEM at JC with addition of this hold-down aluminum frame.

I returned home a week later, and the skylight was leaking again.

There were about another new 40~50 screw holes (attempted twice) penetrating the plastic and my aluminum curb, of course, because the new screw holes from the new installation didn't necessarily line up with the old holes.

Out of so many screw holes, it's inevitable calking will fail on some. The fundamental skylight design and its fastening method just needs to be changed, ASAP. This is costing customers, dealers, and the factory so much more money, time and anguish, because someone at Airstream initially made a cheapskate decision, and today continue to merely Band-Aid the problem.

I now have to live with about 100 screw holes which failed to serve their original purpose, which are left on each of my skylight's curb.

The folks at JC were nice well-intentioned people, but... (>_<)

I'm definitely opting for Maxim.
Just replaced the rear skylight today with the factory OEM replacement parts from Out of Doors mart. The aluminum frame that was sent along was predrllled but those holes would not have even come close to matching up to the curb. Had to drill new holes roughly 1/8"'from the inner edge of the frame. Used the tape they supplied but took an extra step of using sealant around the screw holes between the frame and skylight plastic. Otherwise followed the procedure as noted on the ordering site.

Keep your fingers crossed for no leaks.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
should have used maxim.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
should have used maxim.
Replaced the original only because the inside plastic had been torn. No leaks to this point and hope there are none in the future.

Can't understand how one of these could leak unless it is coming from how the curb is sealed to the roof.

We are all crazy, cutting a hole in the roof....something has gotta give over time. If you don't want leaks, don't cut any holes!