Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Thumbs down UP date

Well I retrieved the trailer from storage and the same corner of the skylight has popped up again. We leave on a trip in about 10 days. I think I will screw that corner down with a rubber gasket on the screw and just replace the whole thing with something better (as mentioned in previous posts) when I get back.

regards,

Ken

Old 04-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Can this company get anything right? Our skylight is cracked where the screws were tightened too much. It leaked last spring in Minnesota and the cracks have been covered with lots of sealant.

We're going to JC in a couple of weeks and I wonder how they'll fix it.

Gene

Gene, seems like this thread has a new lease on life, and I was wondering how A/S fixed your problem with the skylight?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Ken,
We have a new '09 (since FEB) International and we had soooo many leaks! But our skylights leaked like a strainer and come to find out, AS uses a pressure tape to hold it down and ours was not installed properly. Yep, dealership fixed it (we hope, it hasn't rained) along with leaks in vents, every outside storage area, etc,etc. Don't screw it down yourself, you might need the dealer to replace it! Screwing it down could negate the warranty..check it out!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

I just bought 2 new skylights replacements from Airstream and was also sold for an additional 20.00 a flat aluminum framework to go around the exterior and hold down the unit and distribute the force evenly. Will post pics next week prepping to leave for the Dogwoods rally now. Anyhow this frame looks much better than the pieces supplied with the Out of Doors Mart kit as a matter of fact if one looks at their instructions the pieces look downright hokey. The Airstream piece is a nice flat square one piece unit not some pieces of cut up extruded channel that looks like it will hold water( Out of Doors Mart kit). Can only hope Airstream is using these pieces on new installs now. Price with the pieces was also less than Out of Doors Mart.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch. Pulled By 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Megacab
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Gene, seems like this thread has a new lease on life, and I was wondering how A/S fixed your problem with the skylight?
JC replaced the skylight since it was cracked where the screws had been torqued too much. They used washers when they replaced it. It hasn't leaked since.

Good to see Airstream has a new way of installing the skylight if ctdair is correct. It may be the factory has finally figured out the way they were installing the skylights was absurd and led to many, many warranty claims. By saving 10Ę on washers, they cost the company many, many dollars.

Gene
Old 04-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Well I retrieved the trailer from storage and the same corner of the skylight has popped up again. We leave on a trip in about 10 days. I think I will screw that corner down with a rubber gasket on the screw and just replace the whole thing with something better (as mentioned in previous posts) when I get back.

regards,

Ken
After a talk with Maxim, I have decided to do it right and be done with it. They have sold so many skylights for Airstreams, that they knew exactly what I wanted. All I have to do is decide what tint I want and order them tomorrow. Thanks to Kevin for his outstanding installation thread.

I know I could have Airstream keep taping them down for free for the next two years. However, one thing I have learned - monetarily free is often far from inconvenience free.

Regards,

Ken

P.S. I decide to use duct tape instead of a screw for the temp fix.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Quote:
After a talk with Maxim, I have decided to do it right and be done with it. They have sold so many skylights for Airstreams, that they knew exactly what I wanted. All I have to do is decide what tint I want and order them tomorrow. Thanks to Kevin for his outstanding installation thread.

I know I could have Airstream keep taping them down for free for the next two years. However, one thing I have learned - monetarily free is often far from inconvenience free.

Regards,

Ken
My OEM one is leaking again, even after having it replaced once at JC last fall.

When I called Maxim in Texas, they quoted me, $250 each. Did you called Maxim in Florida?

Perhaps, I got the spec wrong.

Does anyone have an exact specs of Maxim skylights for Airstream application?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
My OEM one is leaking again, even after having it replaced once at JC last fall.

When I called Maxim in Texas, they quoted me, $250 each. Did you called Maxim in Florida?

Perhaps, I got the spec wrong.

Does anyone have an exact specs of Maxim skylights for Airstream application?

Thanks.
I have not recieved a quote yet. Here is what they sent for the spec.

Ken
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AIRSTREAM Dade Curb Mount Approval Detail Model (1).pdf (221.9 KB, 87 views)
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
For what it's worth, I should take delivery of my trailer in a couple of weeks. I'll let you guys know how the plant is installing them. Hopefully, this is still not a problem.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #24

Well,

I ordered the Maxim skylights today.

I called Airstream yesterday, and they were more than willing to correct the problem. They offered to send a new skylight, in case the original one was warped and causing the problem. They also offered to send a metal pre-drilled frame if I wanted to screw it down. Surprisingly, they did not offer to to buy the new Maxims.

I just decided that, since I hope to have this trailer for some time, I would rather spend the bucks and have something more substantial for my first line of defense against things that fall from the sky. (If you think about it the list of possibilities is scary)

Regards,

Ken
Old 04-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Well,

I ordered the Maxim skylights today.

I called Airstream yesterday, and they were more than willing to correct the problem. They offered to send a new skylight, in case the original one was warped and causing the problem. They also offered to send a metal pre-drilled frame if I wanted to screw it down. Surprisingly, they did not offer to to buy the new Maxims.

I just decided that I since I hope to have this trailer for some time, I would rather spend the bucks and have something more substantial for my first line of defense from things that fall from the sky.
Regards,

Ken
You will not be unhappy with your choice! I'm confident I will not have a leak from either of my Maxim skylights for a very long time. I don't care how or with what reinforcement the stock skylights are installed with, you will have leaks sometime in the future. Whether its around the screws or the plastic skylight itself.

When you receive the Maxim's you'll know what I'm talking about. BTW, even at $250 apiece, if that's what they're quoting now, its still a bargain.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf View Post
You will not be unhappy with your choice! I'm confident I will not have a leak from either of my Maxim skylights for a very long time. I don't care how or with what reinforcement the stock skylights are installed with, you will have leaks sometime in the future. Whether its around the screws or the plastic skylight itself.

When you receive the Maxim's you'll know what I'm talking about. BTW, even at $250 apiece, if that's what they're quoting now, its still a bargain.
The way the Pricing went for me was:
They told me what the options were and I selected the configuration I wanted.

I asked for both skylights to have both domes and the panel clear, and to have clear anodizing.

The price ended up to be $158 for the rear and $202 for the front.

They ship in two separate boxes via FedEx Ground and the shipping seemed appropriate from my experience. ($65.80) from Dallas to north of Denver).

Regards,

Ken
Old 05-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

As promised here is a picture of the new Airstream skylight hold down. Sorry it is several weeks since I posted about it until I posted the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nova Rally 018.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	807.6 KB
ID:	101614  
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch. Pulled By 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Megacab
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for the follow-up. Let us know how it works out.